cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2023 12:17 am  #376

Re: The Covid

The CDC has approved the latest COVID vaccine for most people and it should start becoming available this week. it targets the most recent circulating variant of the virus.

https://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/world/us-approves-new-covid-booster-vaccine-amid-rise-in-cases/ar-AA1gCOZ1

9/14/2023 11:48 am  #377

Last I looked, the covid rates were still "low", but I know handful of people who have gotten it in the last couple weeks.  They all had very mild symptoms.  They only tested because they had extra tests kicking around.  It seems to be similar to what we use to consider a mild case of the common cold 5 years ago in the before times.

I'll still get the updated shot though.

9/24/2023 1:13 pm  #378

Beginning September 25th, you can once again get free COVID tests from the government:

https://www.covid.gov/tests

glatt wrote:

...I'll still get the updated shot though.

I've gotten the updated Covid booster along with the flu shot. In my opinion, a good reason to get the COVID booster is that there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to determine who might get long COVID. Even if the most recent circulating variants cause only mild symptoms, I don't want to have symptoms for months or years and will do what I can to avoid it.

9/25/2023 6:26 am  #379

I endorse this message.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/26/2023 1:26 am  #380

Anon wrote:

…there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to determine who might get long COVID. …

They’re still working on a diagnostic test for who even has it.

A long Covid blood test is possible, new research suggests

EXCERPTS:

M
ore than three years into the pandemic, the millions of people who have suffered from long Covid finally have scientific proof that their condition is real. 
Scientists have found clear differences in the blood of people with long Covid— a key first step in the development of a test to diagnose the illness.

The findings…also offer clues into what could be causing the elusive condition that has perplexed doctors worldwide and left millions with ongoing fatigue, trouble with memory and other debilitating symptoms.…

The activity of immune system cells called T cells and B cells — which help fight off germs — was "irregular" in long Covid patients…One of the strongest findings… was that long Covid patients tended to have significantly lower levels of a hormone called cortisol.A major function of the hormone is to make people feel alert and awake. Low cortisol could help explain why many people with long Covid experience profound fatigue…

The study also found that dormant viruses,, such as the one that causes mononucleosis, Epstein-Barr, come alive again in long Covid patients. It's unclear, however, whether those old viruses are causing symptoms or flagging a problem within the immune system.…

Long Covid affects 1 in 13 U.S. adults, or 7.5%, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.…

(ETA: The ratio is 1 in 5 for those who have had Covid.)

Last edited by Anon (9/26/2023 1:39 am)

11/20/2023 7:04 pm  #381

Beginning November 20th, you can order yet another four COVID tests free from the government.

https://www.covid.gov/tests

If you didn’t already order four this year, you can order eight now.

That is all.

11/20/2023 7:11 pm  #382

salute. ordered the 1st four and it said, "hey you can get more" ..so got 4 more

Last edited by Flint (11/20/2023 7:12 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/20/2023 9:41 pm  #383

me too -ordering more was my task tonight and you made it easier (Thunderboi came up negative -as we expected- last week, but managed to deplete our supplies with a few fuck-ups doing the necessary to ascertain thet yup, seasonal allergies....)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/21/2023 11:48 pm  #384

My area hospitals are packed with children experiencing both COVID and RSV together. Today, I had to visit a child, who also has brain cancer and is immuno-compromised, who isn't expected to make it. I know COVID shots are controversial, but this new strain is going hand in hand with COVID. It's a deadly combination in children

1/04/2024 7:42 am  #385

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S075333222301853XHighlights 

• •Hydroxychloroquine was prescribed in hospitalised patients with Covid-19 despite of the low-level evidence.
  • •Subsequently, HCQ use was associated with an 11% increase in the mortality rate in a meta-analysis of randomized trials.
  • •The number of hydroxychloroquine related deaths in hospitalised patients is estimated at 16,990 in six countries.
  • •These findings illustrate the hazard of drug repurposing with low-level evidence for the management of future pandemics.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/07/2024 1:52 am  #386

That's a bad link, Griff.
I had read Hydroxychloroquine was pretty effective duing the first 3 days of infection but most people don't know they're infected during the first 3 days. After that Fuhgeddaboudit.

I had a friend telling me about two cases he knew personally where the hospital labeled Covid cause of death when they were not.
One was a guy killed in a motorcycle accident was tagged a Covid death and the widow couldn't collect the accident insurance until she raised hell with the hospital.
Granted the hospitals were short staffed and the people run ragged at the peak, but evidently there were monetary incentives for mislabeling. 
I have more faith in this...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/07/2024 2:45 am  #387

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

That's a bad link, Griff…. 

Here’s the link to the full article:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S075333222301853X

3/27/2024 10:18 pm  #388

I'm undecided on if this woman is an attention whore, followed a planned post method, or is an airhead.
At first I thought attention whore but after thinking about it I wonder?

3/29/2024 12:35 pm  #389

Neither.  She was making fun of people trying to get antivax anecdotes.

3/31/2024 8:30 pm  #390

That is definitely a possibility, HM.

Board footera