cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2021 11:34 am  #101

Re: The Covid

Creating narratives to live by is something awesome and wonderful about humans. Actively working to expose others to potential harm is neither. Their fantasy is inactive outside of their minds until they cause harm. My sharing of a minor event of stunning stupidity is in a way potentially harmful and I regret it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/31/2021 2:01 pm  #102

It seems like it would hurt less than my weekly sinus assault... well, maybe not emotionally.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/07/2021 8:40 am  #103

2nd Moderna shot Friday, aches and chills yesterday, and just a sore shot site today.

2/11/2021 12:16 am  #104

I'm in the 1a group and can't get nothing nohow.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/11/2021 7:04 am  #105

My Dad can't get in anywhere either. PA is fucked.

2/11/2021 7:43 am  #106

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/10/tech/robert-kennedy-jr-instagram-ban/

Banned from Instagram for repeating debunked claims.

2/11/2021 9:09 am  #107

There was a long article in today's paper with tips for getting a slot.  I'm linking to the Google cached version of the article, so hopefully it will be accessible.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xoch6ovhEZYJ:https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/02/10/covid-vaccine-appointment-websites/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

2/18/2021 2:12 pm  #108

2/18/2021 3:27 pm  #109

That's clever, if you don't have other better options.

All this was in the news recently, but I never heard the sheer nylon hosiery advice until henry filled us in.  Good job!  

2/18/2021 6:00 pm  #110

glatt wrote:

That's clever, if you don't have other better options.

All this was in the news recently, but I never heard the sheer nylon hosiery advice until henry filled us in.  Good job!  

all I ask: if you actually use panty hose on your head, post a selfie to the cellar

2/20/2021 12:15 pm  #111

Momdigr and Popdigr are leaving in a few to go get vaccinated.  I'm scared to death about it.

Popdigr is damn near 80, and Momdigr is 70, with practically no immune system.

2/20/2021 1:28 pm  #112

Typically the first dose is no big deal. They've had a few allergic reactions but they'll make your folks stick around for observation to be safe.

2/20/2021 2:50 pm  #113

griff wrote:

Typically the first dose is no big deal. They've had a few allergic reactions but they'll make your folks stick around for observation to be safe.

Confirmed.

1 out of 2 household members report this experience.

Dose number two produced increased soreness in the area around the injection site, headache, one day of feeling crappy.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/22/2021 9:04 am  #114

oof

2/22/2021 7:27 pm  #115

President Biden gave a moving speech tonight.  His empathy is genuine, conspicuous. Flags at half staff.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/22/2021 7:28 pm  #116

griff wrote:

oof

that logarithmic curve is a mother f*cker.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/23/2021 9:31 am  #117

Those medical professionals, that Trump so repeatedly tried to silence or obstruct, are now saying it did not have to happen this way.  And then say, it is now what it is.

Since the virus spread to so many people (due to so many who did not mask and due to obstructed testing), then many more variants will exist.  Meaning this Covid problem will continue to the end of the year.  Those professionals are saying we can expect less precautions maybe about August.  Expect masking and social distancing to be essential until then.

2/23/2021 10:50 am  #118

It's cultural.  Look at the rates in China.

Either we are all in this together, or the virus continues to win.

The virus is spread 100% by human behavior.  Behavior change will completely stop the spread of the virus.  In China, they understand this and everyone changed their behavior, and the virus is gone.  China is like that.

In the US, we are not all in this together.  Individual freedom is very important to us.  "Live free or die" is not just a license plate motto.  It's playing out in the US today with the virus and wearing masks under the nose in the grocery store.

It's cultural.

2/23/2021 12:40 pm  #119

That's not a figure that you hear Donald Trump and his buds talk about, is it?

2/23/2021 2:03 pm  #120

Undertoad wrote:

50 people

50 fucking people

Yeah it would be crazy if someone had a flamboyant emotional response to a news story.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/23/2021 2:10 pm  #121

come on man, you're supposed to say something to get back at me

ah, ƒuck it. *buys you a beer*

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/23/2021 2:17 pm  #122

In the sense that the government could get away with something like that, yeah, I think it still counts as "cultural." Oppressive government is a part of the national culture, just like having a shitty boss contributes to your workplace culture even if most people in the office wish he would be fired. To be fair, this does make "culture" an infinitely nebulous and changeable concept that can be blamed for anything and everything--IMO it's really only useful for trying to predict future behavior, rather than explaining past behavior. Kind of like trying to explain something by saying it was all "cause and effect." I mean, yes, it was, but so is everything.

2/23/2021 9:26 pm  #123

Undertoad wrote:

I agree and Biden actually made a very similar point a few days ago

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/539489-did-biden-just-endorse-human-rights-with-chinese-characteristics 

While we must strongly protest your abuse of human beings, we aren't gonna actually do jack to stop you. We shall wag our fingers and cluck our tongues most vigorously in your direction while cashing the checks you send. Really, we're highly irritated by your actions, but we'll do nuthin' cuz cultural differences.

-----

Half a million dead with beer virus (not from).

2/23/2021 11:25 pm  #124

henry_quirk wrote:

Undertoad wrote:

I agree and Biden actually made a very similar point a few days ago

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/539489-did-biden-just-endorse-human-rights-with-chinese-characteristics 

While we must strongly protest your abuse of human beings, we aren't gonna actually do jack to stop you. We shall wag our fingers and cluck our tongues most vigorously in your direction while cashing the checks you send. Really, we're highly irritated by your actions, but we'll do nuthin' cuz cultural differences.

Would you suggest we go to war with China over how they treat their people?
The only other option is not to do business with them and the Waltons, Silicon Valley, and the other "donors" who own congress won't stand for that shit.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/24/2021 4:53 am  #125

Would you suggest...

I suggest nuthin'. No, I'm just makin' the roundabout observation that your houseplant, er, president is on the take, er, is very diplomatic.

Board footera