cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2021 11:21 pm  #1

Exercise

What do you do regularly?  What's the most extreme exercisey thing you've ever done?  Have you run a marathon or done an Iron Man or swum the English channel? 

During Covid, I did several months of walking or running at least a 5K every day, then I took a break in April.  The outdoor pool reopened Saturday, and I have swum a mile every day until today 'cause it's wet and nasty. And the pool probably closed.   Someone called me badass for that, but I don't really think so -swimming is a lot easier and a lot cooler than running..... I did a mini Tri not too long after I had a stroke bleugh years ago but nope....haven't really done anything extreme.  I do my 5K run or walk every Saturday, and then I try to do 2-3 more things a week, but I'm pretty lame since my gym closed/became too restrictive to be worth it. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/03/2021 5:57 am  #2

Re: Exercise

I try to ride mountain bikes 2-3 times a week.
I've done the MS150 a few times on the road bike. That is 100 miles day one and 50 miles day two. Day 2 is difficult to start.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/03/2021 7:45 am  #3

that sounds intense.  I think I might try to cycle more this summer.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/03/2021 11:41 am  #4

I am very much not an exercisey person, but I had gotten into a good routine before COVID of going to the gym after dropping the kids off at school and doing somewhere between 20-45 minutes on the elliptical--just to keep my body in a usable condition, really. But right after lockdown started, my gym declared bankruptcy. And if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have been going this whole time anyway, because leaving the house is a big mental hurdle and the main thing that made it work was the gym's location right on the path home from school. Regardless, I spent a year just sitting in a chair and losing core muscle strength, until a few months ago I severely injured my lower back just by taking a stupid nap in an awkward (I guess?) position. Steroids and physical therapy got me mostly back to normal, though I still have to sleep with a pillow under/between my knees, which I hate, and I've been trying to use my treadmill desk for at least a couple hours each day until school opens back up in August and I can try out the *other* gym that is only slightly off my path home. Fingers crossed I can keep it up.

6/03/2021 12:15 pm  #5

I fucked up my shoulder during the pandemic by sleeping on it, and have been bad about getting it looked at.

It's amazing what switching to a sedentary life has done to my body.  Nobody is tracking this stuff, but I think it's widespread.

6/03/2021 4:14 pm  #6

I know three [people] who have shoulder trouble rfn, and they all think it came from sleeping on it/them weird.

Last edited by Gravdigr (6/03/2021 4:16 pm)

6/03/2021 5:09 pm  #7

Yabbut *I* fucked up my shoulder by "having a fall" last summer. I really should see a physio to regain full movement in it as when I inflict any sudden flailing movement upon it it fuckin' hurts.
I've been a bit lax with my daily walking which I started on my 60th birthday last year. But I am adding the occasional short wild swim into the mix.

Living life on the edge.

6/03/2021 8:15 pm  #8

glatt wrote:

I fucked up my shoulder during the pandemic by sleeping on it, and have been bad about getting it looked at.

It's amazing what switching to a sedentary life has done to my body.  Nobody is tracking this stuff, but I think it's widespread.

Pete had levage(?) done to her shoulder to good effect. She had some calcium deposits which were hurting things.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/03/2021 9:57 pm  #9

I get out of bed in the morning. That's the toughest part of my day.
Going to have to get with the program soon or I won't even be able to do that.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/03/2021 10:14 pm  #10

glatt wrote:

I fucked up my shoulder during the pandemic by sleeping on it,

Oh I did too!    cray-zee.   I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to swim, but it seems to be stable regarding fucked-upness.  Just a general slight pain no matter what I do -wiping my arse or punching out arseholes....  But my Doc appointment that I made immediately i got back from Florida mid-May isn't until July.... because covid....   I do have a history of fucked-up shoulders ...but this is the normally well-behaved one.  I think it didn't like the Floridian mattresses

6/03/2021 10:18 pm  #11

monster wrote:

I think it didn't like the Floridian mattresses

....cuz i took my own pillow so it wasn't a different elevation....  but now I'm back, it doesn't like sleeping here either.   The other (usually bad) shoulder is ooookaaaay, but is threatening industrial action if I continue to make it work harder due to the sick-leave of the first......  mutiny!

6/04/2021 6:12 am  #12

Yeah, my bad knee feels great right now my good one not so much.

6/04/2021 10:08 am  #13

griff wrote:

Pete had levage(?) done to her shoulder to good effect. She had some calcium deposits which were hurting things.

This, maybe?

Arthroscopic lavage

6/04/2021 10:44 am  #14

That's the deal.

6/04/2021 6:00 pm  #15

That sounds unpleasant.

6/05/2021 6:15 am  #16

Pete had immediate pain relief.

6/05/2021 11:46 am  #17

From Grav's link:
"buckling into fronds,"
Now that sounds Floridian.

6/05/2021 5:20 pm  #18

Diaphone Jim wrote:

From Grav's link:
"buckling into fronds,"
Now that sounds Floridian.

or Spooneristic 

6/05/2021 5:57 pm  #19

griff wrote:

Yeah, my bad knee feels great right now my good one not so much.

Gettin old is when you forget which knee is the left one.

Last edited by tw (6/05/2021 5:58 pm)

6/06/2021 6:40 am  #20

I'll just mark it with a Sharpie...

I rode pretty hard for a couple hours Friday and then Pete and I paddled yesterday on the Susquehanna which had a pretty good pulse. If I get my floor project done at a reasonable hour I'll sneak in a ride this afternoon. Gotta keep moving.

6/06/2021 11:11 am  #21

Twil and I like to ride our bikes once or twice a week.  Having a partner/buddy/obligation makes it a lot easier to get up and start.  A month or so ago I started riding my bike to work.  At the start, I reverted to the truck a couple times, but since then I've ridden every work day.  It's wonderful.  I'm getting better as a bike commuter, trimming my freight, adding cargo capacity, gaining the memory of successfully riding in xyz conditions, like rain.  That was discouraging to hear the rain pounding down on the roof over the deck when I wheeled the bike outside.  But I persevered and it was OK.  That goes in my back pocket for the next time it's raining.

Working around the house gives me plenty of reason to get up and start, the lawn, the plants, the brush.  Also, working on the shop is plenty physical.  There promises to be plenty more of that--painting, window building and installation, roof work, floor and deck installation, etc etc.  And the house we live in is an exercise-o-rama.  Twil wanted the couch and recliner moved upstairs, for example.  That was an effort.

And at work, there are customer sites I have to visit because remote support isn't an option.  Good news is my office is about in the middle of the site.  Bad news is I have customers a mile in either direction, so I get my steps in, horizontally and vertically.  Every call starts and ends with five flights of stairs.  Yes, there are elevators.  But they're waaay over there (more steps) and because of teh Covid, only three people to a ride.  It's not impossible to beat the elevator in either direction.

I'm physically active, but I don't belong to a gym, all my "exercise" is baked into things I do because I want to do them, none of it is for the sake of movement, unless you count choosing to bike to work (still gotta go to work), or walk to customer site (still gotta go see them).  

Be Just And Fear Not

6/06/2021 12:27 pm  #22

Yeah, my job is a nightmare of inactivity. Must retire soon. I lost a classmate to Covid on Memorial Day. I don't want to be the guy who worked until he died.

6/06/2021 5:34 pm  #23

Exer-whutnow?

I've been doing rice-wrapped 1 gram curls...'bout a joint's worth of reps.

Last edited by Gravdigr (6/06/2021 5:34 pm)

10/19/2021 5:22 pm  #24

3 miles running can keep us young.

10/20/2021 1:06 am  #25

Yeah but if all you've got to look forward to is another three miles, and another, and another, screw it.

Board footera