cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2021 6:29 pm  #26

Re: Exercise

Update

Not much changes, except the amount of night/pre-dawn.  It's definitely dark dark when I'm rolling out of the house at 0530.  And today it was definitely raining.  I've gotten a Hi-Viz rain shell, liberally striped with wide swaths of reflective tape.  For my feet I'm working on keeping my socks dry using gaiters.  So far, ok.  I did manage to wind the string that goes under my instep around the pedal tight enough to make me stop and untangle it.  Now I tuck the string into the gaiter.  Learning, learning.

As for the daily work-out, yesterday was > 12,000 steps.  Oof.

Be Just And Fear Not

10/20/2021 7:21 pm  #27

Pre-covid, I was working out 4-5 days a week at 2 different gyms.  My favorite was a strongman workout on Sundays that involved pushing cars, flipping large tires, sometimes throwing smaller tires overhead, carrying moving water loads, etc.  It was so much fun.  I also did hardstyle kettlebells (different than what you see in crossfit gyms and on a majority of 'fitness' blogs) and regular weightlifting with deadlifts, bench, and squats.

Now?  Not much.  I was doing some, but there wasn't a lot of room in the apartment.  With the new gym at the house, I'm hoping to get back to at least 3 times a week.  The hardest part will be coming up with the work outs cause I loved what the trainers came up with.

10/26/2021 12:25 am  #28

Bad knees? Here's your saint...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/29/2022 12:08 am  #29

OMG parkrun is gonna be soooooo cold tomorrow.  Couple months ago, I hit my 50 parkruns milestone.  And week before last, I hit my 50th volunteering milestone.  As did two of the friends I've met at parkrun.   They engineered it, I think.  We  usually  set up the course.  This is a thing we did to celebrate that milestone.  The real Rosie -by most accounts- was a Michigander was possibly based just down the road, at Willow Run.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/29/2022 12:10 am  #30

it was so fucking cold.  I had three pairs of gloves on and i hired some extra chins to keep my neck warm.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/29/2022 7:39 am  #31

This thread makes me tired.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/29/2022 7:40 am  #32

And cold.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/29/2022 8:27 am  #33

We xc skied to the point of soreness with LilPete and company last weekend and skied downhill for five and a half hours yesterday. Maybe we stay in shape this winter...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/29/2022 8:34 am  #34

We go to the Y 3 times a week and do the water excerize. It seems to be working.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/29/2022 8:43 am  #35

Yeah, I need to keep it more steady like that 3x is perfect.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/01/2022 4:55 am  #36

Joe is retired from being an Anesthesiologist on the west coast, then teaching Anesthesiology in Virginia.
He's also has been an avid runner for the last 20 years, outdoors and treadmill.
He posted yesterday that when he gets sore joints and muscles from overdoing it he changes shoes. Claims every make and model shoe put pressure on the body in different ways and changing shoes can be just enough difference. Try it, can't hurt.
He discovered this years ago when he suffered a plantar fasciitis injury and changing shoes made all the pain disappear.

2/01/2022 4:00 pm  #37

I just got back into it. I'm fat, but I'm gonna get fat/strong-- the strongest you can be.

After moving stuff around the house, I had a curl bar with 2x25lb plates sitting in my room.
I started picking it up. Found a new lift that doesn't hurt my back, the Sumo Deadlift--

Started by supersetting with shrugs, upright barbell rows, then cleaning the bar up and to my shoulders and doing over head presses (going through each with no rest, never putting the bar down). Now I'm progressively overloading and taking longer rests between sets. I have two curl bars, with 25X2 on one, and 45x2 on the other (plus an extra 20lbs to simulate olympic bar weight). Staying focused on basic, compound barbell lifts. When I develop enough endurance, I can add incline bench  press and front squats.

After work I eat a light dinner, rest, work out, then eat a heavy dinner before bedtime. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to capitalize on the muscle memory "rebound" effect while my body is still shocked by the stimulus. I should be able to develop tons of core strength, re "inflate" my muscles with glyocgen, and when I plateau on beginner gains, I'll start loading up  with Creatine. Once I plateau on Creatine, I should be yoked.

Then when the weather gets nice I can get back to hiking/ trail running.

Last edited by Flint (2/01/2022 4:14 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/04/2022 9:46 pm  #38

Good luck to you, friend.

Weightlifting is just 100% not for me.  I get that the resistance produces the effect in your muscles you like, great, you go guy.  But not I, said the pig.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/04/2022 10:16 pm  #39

I stayed in pretty good shape through last September - I finished 19 of 20 obstacles in a Spartan Sprint.

Then the walls caved in.  I got Covid in November then my last surviving sibling passed away unexpectedly the day after Christmas. 

I'm still a mess.

If I can offer any advice, it would be to keep moving.  Even walking one mile is healthy.  As a famous trainer said, motion is lotion.

I know I don't post all that much anymore but I still think about you guys.

2/04/2022 10:47 pm  #40

Hi Beestie!  I was wondering where you were.  I'm sorry about the shit, but I agree, do something physical, it really makes a difference

2/05/2022 7:30 am  #41

Spot on Beestie, sorry you went through that.

2/05/2022 8:37 am  #42

Hi Beestie you are right we need to move. Sorry about your losses.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/05/2022 10:02 am  #43

Sorry to hear about your sibling. Glad to see you around!

4/26/2022 8:33 am  #44

I am very proud to say that I'm entering week 7 of doing a workout or comparable activity 3x a week.  There were a couple weeks I almost said fuck it, but I did something on Saturday to get the check mark

4/26/2022 11:47 am  #45

Well done!  I need to be more active.

4/26/2022 3:11 pm  #46

Congratulations, sounds like you've created a habit. That's 99% of the path to success

I was getting swole asf but then I got a deep tooth infection and literally laid in bed completely immobile for a week. It's super hard to get my momentum back. I have some new exercise theory to apply--

"Leaving reps in the tank" which is super counter-intuitive to what I've always done, which was taking every set to complete mechanical failure. Bro science in the 90s said "your muscle doesn't get the signal to grow until you hit failure." Current research says 1-2 reps from failure may be nearly as effective, with greatly reduced recovery costs. Basically you have 1) volume, 2) frequency, and 3) intensity. If you have the intensity turned up to 11, you don't have any room to adjust the other two factors-- you're either stuck with long recovery times, leading to less frequency/volume, or over-training and plateaued results.

Additionally, the most effective way for a natural lifter to grow (stimulate testosterone production to initiate muscle protein synthesis) is to train whole-body compound movements as often as 5-6 days per week. Impossible if you're hitting failure every set. As opposed to enhanced lifters, whose bloodstream is swimming with exogenous hormones and do not need their training to stimulate testosterone production. Basically, juicers can do a "bro split" hitting isolation movements for each body part 2x per week and while this is ineffective for stimulating testosterone, they are injecting testosterone analogues and don't need their endocrine system to do anything.

Last edited by Flint (4/26/2022 3:12 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/27/2022 5:51 am  #47

This is reminding me to get in shape for my mtb trip... oops too late

4/27/2022 5:28 pm  #48

@glatt - Thanks!  It's the longest streak since I lost the gym and classes I used to take.  I don't think I'll ever get back to that level, but 3x a week ain't bad
@flint - working on a habit

5/02/2022 1:19 am  #49

Decided I need more exercise so now I park and walk instead of going to the drive up window at the donut shop. 

5/02/2022 5:46 am  #50

That's smart planning!

Board footera