cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2021 1:49 am  #1

Another Rabbit Hole

From bank charter rank to an exclusive National Guard post...

I read the members are generally at least semi-wealthy and standoffish to the public and other posts.
♫ Ooooh, what a lucky man, he was.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/08/2021 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Another Rabbit Hole

Not for nothin, Wells Fucking Fargo mugged a LOT of people.  A $3B settlement for a dazzling array of truly creative and bald-faced frauds.  Fuckers.  I hope they burn in hell.

Be Just And Fear Not

7/08/2021 6:06 pm  #3

ELP reference noted with appreciation.

Be Just And Fear Not

7/09/2021 1:28 pm  #4

I couldn't come up w/ELP.  Was racking my brain.  A li'l bit...

Oh, look...

Another motherfucking reCaptcha.  Fuck going away after ten posts, I reckon.  Unless it's been changed just for li'l ol' me...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/09/2021 10:47 pm  #5

BigV wrote:

Not for nothin, Wells Fucking Fargo mugged a LOT of people.  A $3B settlement for a dazzling array of truly creative and bald-faced frauds.  Fuckers.  I hope they burn in hell.

I just had a go round with them. I wrote a check for $1900 to my hearing aid guy. Wells Fargo refused to deposit my check in his account because they didn't like the way I wrote it. Over on the right $1900.00 then on the line, One Nine Zero Zero 00/100.   
​This is check 3192 of this account,all written that way on every check in this and several previous accounts with different banks.
I've had one refused by a bitch in a credit union in Florida and that's all. 
So I wrote him a new check and went to the Wells Fargo branch that caused the trouble. Asked to see the manager and this woman comes out and tells me it's not legal. I said bullshit and we went at it verbally. We are a financial institution. Well try being a god damn bank. Then this tall black guy comes over and I said what do you want and he went back to his desk.
 I left a County Sheriff was coming in but probably a coincidence. After four letters back and forth the WF corporate and their consumer complaint dept they finally named and quoted the regulations on how checks are written ending with "there appears to be no violation". I doubt they'll relay that to Miss Financial Institution, but I gave copies to the hearing aid guy for future reference.

7/10/2021 11:02 am  #6

A few years ago, after 60 or so writing checks, I had one returned because some banker person decided the written line didn't match the number in the $ box.
I was told the written line is the "real" amount.
Now I purposely scribble that part.  (And my penmanship has always sucked.)
Having given up of "balancing" my check book years ago, I do now try to compare what I intended with what they assumed.
But of course we get fewer and fewer images of the checks back and never the actual ones.
Banking is a banker's game and nobody gets snooty faster than a questioned one.

7/10/2021 11:48 am  #7

I'm reminded of BigV's (I think it was V) story of writing a paper check at a Mom & Pop store and the new (young) girl looked at him weird 'cuz she'd never seen a paper check before...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/10/2021 7:41 pm  #8

Yes!

I'm TOTALLY  blaming it on the check, for sure, definitely.  it was the check, absolutely.

Be Just And Fear Not

7/11/2021 5:57 am  #9

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/20/2021 10:24 pm  #10

My life is a field of rabbit holes, this one grenades. Give thanks I only bring the highest and brightest of highlights.
In the little one, WW I, the European military (at least the assholes in command) felt the only honorable way was trenches and frontal assault.
Well we lost 3,000 today, but they lost 4,000 so we won! Bring up fresh meat and we'll do it again tomorrow.
The artillery isn't doing it, neither is the mustard gas, but the trenches are too far apart for grenades.
What shall we do, what shall we do!

That helps but a little bulky for each man to carry...

OK, that's better
Enter the USA. European Generals, we'll just use you to fill the ranks after each battle.
USMC, I don't think so.
British General, I'll assign you and Australian to bring you up to speed.
Aussie(I think Sgt. but can't remember his name) Look yanks the Europeans don't approve of flanking or sneaking up on the enemy.
They feel that's not manly, not honorable, but if you're into it I can show you some moves.
USMC, fuck yeah, we want to win and go home.... and with the help of the Aussies and Canadians, and Indians, they did.
Meanwhile...

Then they decided to do some R&D while the Spanish Flu kill a few million.
And we all lived happily ever after. 

7/21/2021 5:28 pm  #11

At the end of the Vietnam War, they decided to add a second safety mechanism.
I'm sure it was a good idea, but I don't remember any accidental detonations out of hundreds of intentional ones.
The first time I heard one go off, I thought it must have been a whole box.  Like an M80 to a cap gun.

Board footera