cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2020 11:00 pm  #1

October 23, 2020: Hey Jute....

This is not the permanent facade of the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA).  It's an installation by an "artist in residence" (Ibrahim Mahama) who was in fact on the other side of the world (Ghana) due to some contagious disease or other.... so remotely directed a team here to stitch together jute sacks in a patchwork to cover the building.

kinda reminds me of those hideous cork tiles so popular in the 70s.  But I am a professional philistine.  I meant to try and see it in person yesterday when I was dropping off my ballot ....but I forgot. oops.

https://news.umich.edu/ghanaian-artist-ibrahim-mahamas-first-outdoor-us-exhibition-blankets-u-m-museum-of-art/

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/22/2020 11:33 pm  #2

Re: October 23, 2020: Hey Jute....

There's nothing an artist can't make a little more ugly, sometimes a lot.
If there's backlash Mahamas says, Hey, I wasn't here, I didn't do it, they misunderstood my directions.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/23/2020 2:41 am  #3

I like it. It kinda reminds me of those cork tiles so popular in the 70s.

Living life on the edge.

10/23/2020 6:33 am  #4

Limey wrote:

I like it. It kinda reminds me of those cork tiles so popular in the 70s.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera