cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2021 7:25 pm  #1

Political Compass -- which way does yours point?

Political Compass is a site where they ask some pointed questions with non-neutral answers are not allowed. god bless 'em.  Dive in, if you dare.

Here are the results of my most recen analysis:Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Last edited by BigV (6/19/2021 9:19 am)

Be Just And Fear Not

6/18/2021 8:18 pm  #2

Re: Political Compass -- which way does yours point?

6/19/2021 5:23 am  #3

This appears pretty steady. I may have drifted left and libertarian a couple tics which I suppose is a reflection of our times.

Last edited by griff (6/19/2021 5:26 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/19/2021 9:30 am  #4

Welcome to the echo chamber everybody!

What?  It's not everybody?  One of our friends has pointed out to me that "everybody there, they're all on the left side of the spectrum".  Yeah, I guess we're all on the spectrum.  As a voice inside this chamber, * I * don't feel hostile to others who have different stances.  Yeah, but I only know about my feelings, that's why I talk about them.  But it's not unreasonable to assume others feel differently.  I also like (again with my feelings) having a range of ideas to consider.  I definitely listen to a range of sources of news, but I don't have many or deep conversations with people from those other quadrants.  I'm missing something there.

They're here, or at least signed up or had signed up at some point, but they're not very vocal, unfortunately.  I think there was an insufficiency of satisfaction in our dialog.  Speculating though.  I would welcome them back into the conversation though.  Come on, let's talk.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/19/2021 11:40 am  #5

Here I am.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/19/2021 4:57 pm  #6

Many people pretend at centrism but fargon is centrism.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/19/2021 6:02 pm  #7

griff wrote:

Many people pretend at centrism but fargon is centrism.

I like fargon

but I think "centrist" and "left" and "right" are highly subjective, relative labels, dependent on the context and frame of reference.  I'm a weirdo in many circles, in some groups I fit right in.  Same me.  I'm a fine upstanding citizen in my community in some circles, in others I'm a priveliged cis-normative pillar of the old white man patriarchy.

Context matters.  Ideas matter.  It's important, it's critical to look past the labels to listen to the person, listen to the ideas.  Now, maybe they're just parroting the party line.  Credit to Limbaugh for capitalizing on it, flipping the script and making "dittoheads" a badge of honor (among some, not me).  Here in this nice cozy echo chamber, I think you're all reasonable people with good, well founded ideas, 

I want to try my best to assess the quality of the idea.  Some of that assessment does rest on the presenter, and on the quality of the presentation.  I try to account for that.  It takes effort, sustained effort, to achieve understanding.  When I stop investigating or listening or learning, it's harder for me to improve myself.

I also should say that I think fargon, you're a reasonable person.  I don't think you're very far down the political line in either direction.  I haven't really heard anything from you that raised my eyebrows and made me think, whoa, didn't see that coming, what a _________.  Maybe that's what a centrist sounds like.  Nice.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/19/2021 6:32 pm  #8

I try not to be an ass.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/22/2021 10:49 am  #9

Looks like Cellarers are pretty much in the middle of the green.
I am.

6/22/2021 2:03 pm  #10

In school, all kinds of people were lumped together. I hated school. These days, I enjoy getting along with and finding common ground with my co-workers who aren't on the same wavelength. Both of these are situations where we are required to be around people we disagree with. I'm not sure if that happens much as a naturally occurring situation-- it happens, but with some effort and intent.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

6/22/2021 6:38 pm  #11

Flint wrote:

In school, all kinds of people were lumped together. I hated school. These days, I enjoy getting along with and finding common ground with my co-workers who aren't on the same wavelength. Both of these are situations where we are required to be around people we disagree with. I'm not sure if that happens much as a naturally occurring situation-- it happens, but with some effort and intent.

I think this is made easier by adjusting one's baseline state of mind to more benefit of the doubt and less suspicious.  Also, aligning one's speaking and listening ratio with one's ear and mouth ratio.  I learn so much when I do that.  I find it's worthwhile.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/23/2021 9:58 am  #12

BigV wrote:

Welcome to the echo chamber everybody!

What?  It's not everybody?  One of our friends has pointed out to me that "everybody there, they're all on the left side of the spectrum".  Yeah, I guess we're all on the spectrum.  As a voice inside this chamber, * I * don't feel hostile to others who have different stances.  Yeah, but I only know about my feelings, that's why I talk about them.  But it's not unreasonable to assume others feel differently.  I also like (again with my feelings) having a range of ideas to consider.  I definitely listen to a range of sources of news, but I don't have many or deep conversations with people from those other quadrants.  I'm missing something there.

They're here, or at least signed up or had signed up at some point, but they're not very vocal, unfortunately.  I think there was an insufficiency of satisfaction in our dialog.  Speculating though.  I would welcome them back into the conversation though.  *Come on, let's talk.

*Okay, let's.

What would you like to talk about?

6/23/2021 7:10 pm  #13

Hi hq, good to see you again.

Talk, talk... hm.. Ok.  I've shown you mine, why don't you show me yours?  Your Political Compass coordinates, that is.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/23/2021 10:09 pm  #14

BigV wrote:

Hi hq, good to see you again.

Talk, talk... hm.. Ok.  I've shown you mine, why don't you show me yours?  Your Political Compass coordinates, that is.

I reviewed the first page statements. It's a bad test.

For example...

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

As structured, there's no way for me to answer accurately.

Break it down...

Economic globalisation is inevitable. Strongly disagree.

Economic globalisation will serve humanity. Strongly disagree.

Economic globalisation will serve the interests of trans-national corporations. Strongly agree.

A stickin' point in the original is should. By defintion, globalization only serves corporation and government. Humanity only figures in as resource.

Should doesn't apply. In context, it's like sayin' If slavery is inevitable it should serve humanity rather than the interests of slavers.

It's nonsensical.

Best I can tell, from the first page, all the questions are flawed in this way.

6/23/2021 10:33 pm  #15

I agree the questions are structured in a way that forces you to choose one of the strictly limited answers, often the lessor or two or three evils. It also depends on your interpretation of.words.
Hearing the word slavery, some people have the mental image of picking cotton all day, a whipping for picking too slow, and chained to the bed at night.
Others picture a suburban cracker box with a huge mortgage, 3 year old car with 4 more years of payments, taxes to help pay for schools when you have no kids, having to pay for upgrading water and sewer lines in the street, feeling obligated to participate in community organization charity work instead of watching the game on TV with a cold one.
Freedom can be plenty of cash to spend how you want and the right to say no to everyone.
But freedom can also be alone on an iceberg with no obligations whatsoever.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/24/2021 5:57 am  #16

Before taking the test: Please note that this isn’t a survey, and these aren’t questions. They’re propositions. To question the logic of individual ones that irritate you is to miss the point. Some propositions are extreme, and some are moderate. That’s how we can show you whether you lean towards extremism or moderation on the Compass. Your responses should not be overthought. Some of them are intentionally vague. Their purpose is to trigger reactions in the mind, measuring feelings and prejudices rather than detailed opinions on policy.

6/24/2021 8:16 pm  #17

I also thought you overthought the question, and the exercise really, hq.  I was hoping you'd play along, it's really just a thought exercise, definitely no commitment.  We're here in this thread, it's kind of the main idea, I invited you to join in the reindeer games.  No biggie.

Twil likes to watch Survivor.  I have to leave the room.  No exaggeration.  There's a physical revulsion I feel watching that show--be it fiction or "reality".  I get it hq.

What'll we talk about?  How about this:  What do you think about SCOTUS recent decision siding with the "cursing cheerleader" who said on Snapchat "fuck school fuck softball fuck cheer fuck everything." as an exercise of her first amendment right to freedom of expression?

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 9:53 pm  #18

What do you think about SCOTUS recent decision siding with the "cursing cheerleader" who said on Snapchat "fuck school fuck softball fuck cheer fuck everything." as an exercise of her first amendment right to freedom of expression?

If it ain't slander or libel (if life, liberty, or property aren't damaged by way of an unjustly sullied reputation) then lil girls ought to be able to cuss on-line (unless mom & pop say otherwise).

Now, if she used a school machine or a school net account, then mebbe she oughta be slammed for inappropriate or unsanctioned used of school property.

I'm commentin' only on what you posted, by the way: I don't know anything about the circumstance or the details of the SC decision.

6/24/2021 10:08 pm  #19

Noted.

This represents common ground we share.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/25/2021 7:49 am  #20

BigV wrote:

Noted.

This represents common ground we share.

Okay.

Board footera