cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2021 3:28 pm  #1

Reparations

I see no good coming from this...

How do they fund it? Who distributes it? To whom?
I predict that 99% of the people in Amherst, of all colors, will be unhappy with it.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (7/01/2021 3:48 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/01/2021 4:47 pm  #2

Re: Reparations

Leaving aside the obvious distribution problems, reparations also opens the door to hereditary debt.

Weaponized Funk

7/02/2021 12:53 am  #3

Well, it's government debt, and the door is already wide open, as it should be, for the government paying restitution to victims of misbehavior by the government, even if not every taxpayer is personally responsible for that misbehavior.

7/02/2021 3:22 pm  #4

If you look at the third column, it looks like the most likely outcome is this money will come from money that was already going to a "stabilization fund"--this honestly just looks like their standard "we give people/businesses help on a case by case basis" fund will now have a certain amount tagged specifically for "we give Black people/businesses help on a case by case basis."

7/02/2021 3:26 pm  #5

Happy Monkey wrote:

Well, it's government debt, and the door is already wide open, as it should be, for the government paying restitution to victims of misbehavior by the government, even if not every taxpayer is personally responsible for that misbehavior.

What I'm saying is, as morally-correct as this may be, what it will mean in real terms is that debt can be inherited.  This whole idea is that people are owed by live people today for what dead people did to dead people a while back.

Which is in principle the same as saying that when your dad dies, you have to pick up his tab.

Weaponized Funk

7/02/2021 8:50 pm  #6

Happy Monkey wrote:

... for the government paying restitution to victims of misbehavior by the government, ...

That is where the entire argument falls apart.  Government is not compensating a victim.

If your grandfather dies owning a $million, are you responsible for paying that $million?  Of course not.  If your grandfather is Bernie Madoff, are you responsible for reimbursements?  Of course not.

If your grandfather was the victim of Madoff, do you deserve reimbursement?  Of course not.  You are not the victim.  You are not the perpetrator. You are a separate entity.

An underlying fallacy in that argument is that, as xoxoxoBruce accurately implies, no good will come of it.

Far more relevant, what injustice will be solved?  What will it fix today?  Restitution should only apply to the victim.  It should not be a reward for others because distant relatives were victims.  That solves nothing.

Two points.  Who really is the only victim?  And what will be solved?

7/03/2021 10:06 am  #7

Ah, you're right, it probably is. I've worked with groups that use "stabilization" differently, but in the case of a local government, it's probably more like what nonprofits would call a "rainy day fund." Overall, I'd still say that appending the word "reparations" to what is still a "stabilization fund" means that nothing of significance will come out of this--it's just lip service, albeit lip service that may blow back in their faces harder than they were anticipating.

7/03/2021 3:18 pm  #8

Luce wrote:

Which is in principle the same as saying that when your dad dies, you have to pick up his tab.

No, it's saying that when your dad dies, and he is owed money, you can collect.  Which is true.

In that vein, I would not support singling out just the descendants of slaveholders to pay a special tax, but I'm all for paying it from the general fund.

7/03/2021 11:32 pm  #9

Happy Monkey wrote:

... but I'm all for paying it from the general fund.

Which means rules or guidelines are required up front for what that fund could and could not pay for.  What would be the limitations for such a fund.  The easy part is creating special fund.  Actual work is in defining a purpose and restrictions on that fund.

Board footera