cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2021 10:56 pm  #1

Someone might need to know

What is the weirdest thing that ever came out of your nose, ear or eye?
Who has been preoccupying your thoughts most recently
Where is your face mask right now?
How did you last MacGyver something?
When will I, will I be famous?
Why did you last excuse yourself from something

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/02/2021 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Someone might need to know

What is the weirdest thing that ever came out of your nose, ear or eye? Just the usual secretions here I'm afraid.
Who has been preoccupying your thoughts most recently My mother. Died eleven and a half years ago.
Where is your face mask right now? Clean ones are hanging on the door. Used once and they go in the warshing machine. There might be one in a coat pocket, too ...
How did you last MacGyver something? I can't remember, honest!
When will I, will I be famous? You? Very soon!
Why did you last excuse yourself from something I can't remember, honest!

Living life on the edge.

7/02/2021 12:40 pm  #3

What is the weirdest thing that ever came out of your nose, ear or eye?
I had a peanut stuck in my ear so I poured some liquid chocolate in and it came out a Treat.
(Cultural reference that might not survive a west bound trans-Atlantic journey)

Who has been preoccupying your thoughts most recently?
Er... well, no-one in particular.

Where is your face mask right now?
On the desk in front of me.

A cultural reference that didn't survive the east bound trans-Atlantic journey.

When will I, will I be famous?
Any moment now.

Why did you last excuse yourself from something
Oh, heavens. Now you're asking!

7/02/2021 4:35 pm  #4

What is the weirdest thing that ever came out of your nose, ear or eye?  Had a metal shaving drilled out of my eye this one time at band camp.

Who has been preoccupying your thoughts most recently  No one.

Where is your face mask right now?  In a ziploc in my glove box.

How did you last MacGyver something?  Bread tie.

When will I, will I be famous?  Right after they show yer mugshot after the mass shooting?

Why did you last excuse yourself from something  Because I hate ppl.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/02/2021 5:01 pm  #5

Carruthers wrote:

Jerry Rig

Last edited by monster (7/02/2021 10:19 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/03/2021 3:54 am  #6

monster wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

Jerry Rig

Thanks, monster. In which case:

When I lashed a scaffolding plank crosswise to the top of my ladder to spread the load to stop me and the ladder plunging through the hedge when I was attempting to trim it.
It glowers at me like some malign arboricultural presence every time I go outside.
That Kawasaki hedge trimmer was money well spent. Having twice managed to cut through the cable on its electric predecessor I wasn't going to tempt fate again. 

7/03/2021 10:58 am  #7

Every time you devise a new way to keep your $$ 12/2/G extension cord out of the maws of the hedge trimmer  BZZZT

7/03/2021 11:50 am  #8

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Every time you devise a new way to keep your $$ 12/2/G extension cord out of the maws of the hedge trimmer  BZZZT

Thankfully, the RCD tripped on both occasions before 240v zapped the Carruthers right arm. Lesson learned.

Eventually.

7/04/2021 8:47 pm  #9

monster wrote:

My sister.  She's OK, but was struck by lightning on Friday. Or more accurately, the tree right next to the backpacking tent she was in was struck by lightning. She and her partner were sheltering in it during a fairly severe storm with heavy hail.  The lightning travelled to the roots and into the tent poles next to the roots and up into the cross member that the poles tie into.  The tent caught fire but only smoldered because it is flame resistant.  She got a small burn on her face from an energized tent pole.  One trekking pole outside lying flat on the ground was destroyed, the other was damaged.  Two of the three tent poles were damaged beyond repair by the current, and the cross member was split apart.

Her site was a safe site to camp.  She's the most experience outdoors person I know personally.  Her partner is even more experienced.  I had looked at her camp site in Google Earth earlier (she was on a rock climbing expedition in Yosemite back country) and I thought it was very safe.  She followed all the rules. Crazy.  You reduce risk as much as you can, but you can never eliminate it.

They packed up all their destroyed gear and hiked out.  Met with Park officials and got checked out by the Yosemite doctor.  They were deemed ok.

They went rock climbing on some smaller stuff the next day with local friends (yesterday,) and have been taking it easy today.

Crazy.  My sister was struck by lightning.

7/04/2021 8:56 pm  #10

37.865163, -119.483141 

Last edited by glatt (7/04/2021 8:57 pm)

7/04/2021 11:18 pm  #11

glatt wrote:

monster wrote:

My sister.  She's OK, but was struck by lightning on Friday. Or more accurately, the tree right next to the backpacking tent she was in was struck by lightning. She and her partner were sheltering in it during a fairly severe storm with heavy hail.  The lightning travelled to the roots and into the tent poles next to the roots and up into the cross member that the poles tie into.  The tent caught fire but only smoldered because it is flame resistant.  She got a small burn on her face from an energized tent pole.  One trekking pole outside lying flat on the ground was destroyed, the other was damaged.  Two of the three tent poles were damaged beyond repair by the current, and the cross member was split apart.

Her site was a safe site to camp.  She's the most experience outdoors person I know personally.  Her partner is even more experienced.  I had looked at her camp site in Google Earth earlier (she was on a rock climbing expedition in Yosemite back country) and I thought it was very safe.  She followed all the rules. Crazy.  You reduce risk as much as you can, but you can never eliminate it.

They packed up all their destroyed gear and hiked out.  Met with Park officials and got checked out by the Yosemite doctor.  They were deemed ok.

They went rock climbing on some smaller stuff the next day with local friends (yesterday,) and have been taking it easy today.

Crazy.  My sister was struck by lightning.

OMG.  WTF. ETC. bloody hell, Glatt, that would for sure keep someone on your mind, glad they weren't too badly injured, but how fucking scary?

7/05/2021 6:08 am  #12

Holy crap! I'm glad she's ok.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/05/2021 9:15 am  #13

So glad she's OK. A real WTF. Shit.

Living life on the edge.

7/05/2021 11:03 am  #14

Nature, coming through!  Make a hole!

Nevermind, I'll make one.

yeeeeeee-ikes!

Be Just And Fear Not

7/05/2021 11:36 am  #15

Wow!
I hope my BZZZT post didn't have anything to do with it.
I wonder if there has been a lot of study of direct hits versus close calls.

7/05/2021 5:40 pm  #16

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Wow!
I hope my BZZZT post didn't have anything to do with it.
I wonder if there has been a lot of study of direct hits versus close calls.

I was taught that ground current (or close calls) accounts for the vast majority of human lightning strikes.  Makes sense with the typical standing under a tree in a storm scenario.

7/05/2021 6:25 pm  #17

Research by Dr Mary Ann Cooper (U of Illinois) discusses this extensively.

Lightning is a connection from charges in earth (many miles away) to charges in a cloud (often via items that make that connection shorter).  So a best path was also up from the ground, through humans (or animals), and then back into earth at another point.  A direct lightning strike.

Four legged animals are at even greater threat due to legs spaced farther apart and no shoes.

Researcher recommend stooping on the ground with both feet together.  Then lightning has no outgoing path.

7/05/2021 6:40 pm  #18

tw wrote:

Researcher recommend stooping on the ground with both feet together.  Then lightning has no outgoing path.

This stance is a good recommendation, but for a different reason than stated.  It's the difference in voltage between each foot in contact with the ground.  The foot closer to the strike point has a higher voltage, and the foot further from the strike point has a lower voltage.  The distance between the feet determines the total voltage running through the body.

7/06/2021 4:14 pm  #19

What is the weirdest thing that ever came out of your nose, ear or eye? playdoh
Who has been preoccupying your thoughts most recently? My niece, I want her to keep moving forward.
Where is your face mask right now? rear view mirror
How did you last MacGyver something? zip ties
When will I, will I be famous? Your 15 minutes starts... NOW
Why did you last excuse yourself from something? I excused myself from the Don Henley thread but I got called out.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/09/2021 2:36 pm  #20

I'm late to the party, but holy cow! I'm glad your sister is okay, glatt.

Board footera