cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2021 9:24 pm  #1

What is your current secret happy?

Right now mine is this

When I do job interviews etc. and they ask what I enjoyed most about all my volunteer roles (because that's all that's on my fucking resume for a 17 year period), my answer is going back years later and seeing stuff I started still happening and still working.

Today/tonight the swim team at the summer pool are doing their 100-collective-mile swim-a-thon - a triple-purpose-event: fundraiser, fun practice for this week's "specialty event" (which is distance freestyle) and team bonding exercise. 

These fish show how many miles are done so far 9out of 100, so swimmers can easily see where they are up to and get excited ....and generally the littler swimmers who can't contribute so much are enlisted to stick them on the wall......  Swim families are sharing pics of these fish on social media.

My kids are long(ish) graduated from the swim team... but way back when.... (maybe 15 years)... this was my idea!   My thing!  Before that they periodically wrote the number of miles swum so far on a piece of paper and taped it to the office door.  I had a large piece of gray/silver foam sheet left over from a preschool project, so I cut out 100 fish(ish) shapes, numbered them with Sharpie and had the flagging smaller swimmers stick them on the wall.

I'm pretty sure no-one on the current team has any idea who started it, and why should they? ...... but IT WAS ME! :

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/13/2021 10:15 pm  #2

Re: What is your current secret happy?

(it's ok, no-one weknow IRL will see it here).  probably.... 

Last edited by monster (7/14/2021 5:39 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/13/2021 10:18 pm  #3

(The original fish I made lasted for about 10 years, but one winter rodents got into the storage space and chewed them up and pooped on them)

7/14/2021 6:17 am  #4

That is really cool!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/14/2021 10:30 am  #5

That's clever, and I love visuals like that.  It seems super simple in hindsight, but you took a complex batch of information and figured out a way that you could display it clearly that is fun and even gets shared to social media because it's so good.  Extremely well done!

7/14/2021 5:37 pm  #6

aw thanks guys.  I drove past tent city this morning, and was also secretly happy that wasn't me any more (they camp overnight on the bit of grass next to the pool once they reach their 100 miles)  I enjoyed it at the time, but I am glad .I was in my bed last night and don't have a big ole tent to strike this morning

7/15/2021 4:29 am  #7

glatt wrote:

That's clever, and I love visuals like that.  It seems super simple in hindsight, but you took a complex batch of information and figured out a way that you could display it clearly that is fun and even gets shared to social media because it's so good.  Extremely well done!

Agreed!
Plus it involves the minnows as well as the Big Swimmers.
Good work Monster!

Living life on the edge.

7/15/2021 7:05 am  #8

I love it!

Board footera