cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2021 7:58 pm  #1

Road Rage -Detroit Style

Without exaggeration, I cannot remember the last week in which there wasn't a road rage shooting reported on Detroit's freeways.  Not just an incident...but a shooting.  And it's not one obsessed news source, either (but I will use the same one for example links because I'm lazy)

Last week, there was this.:  Woman shot at for going round a slow moving car in the overtaking lane (it's not illegal in MI to pass on the inside)

tonight, this: back window of in-the-way tow truck shot out

Detroit freeways can already be scary AF and I'm no Sunday Driver ....general traffic speed is 20-30 over the posted limit but the odd idiot chooses to go the speed limit and a good percentage of drivers drift across all three lanes like they're busy rolling one on their thigh and just glance up occasionally to see if there's a snack stand.  Exits are close together (4 within a mile is not unusual) and are all the traffic-entering-crossing-with-traffic-exiting-in-a-short-distance style... and the roads are mostly partially under the city so the (vehicle-debris-filled) shoulders are narrow and edged by concrete barriers/walls.  I lost count of all the accidents i saw when I was driving downtown to work the elections -and that was at 4am......

(If you ever need to drive them, Saturday morning is not a bad time if you have any choice in the matter -that's when we used to it when setting off on a road trip that required crossing the border into Canada.... )  ....did  I just condemn someone to getting shot at tomorrow morning by posting that? 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/23/2021 10:29 pm  #2

Re: Road Rage -Detroit Style

monster wrote:

Exits are close together (4 within a mile is not unusual) and are all the traffic-entering-crossing-with-traffic-exiting-in-a-short-distance style...

in Washington  those hazards are described in the traffic reports on the radio as the "collector - distributor lane".

ugh.  I'm so, so glad that I don't deal with them on a regular basis anymore.

Be Just And Fear Not

7/24/2021 7:01 am  #3

Everybody seems to think they need to go around armed now, it's a good thing we're all perfectly capable of keeping a cool head.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/24/2021 11:28 am  #4

Give a gun to an adult who is still a child.  And then he is entitled.  Suddenly anything he feels must be right.  Guns (empower) change the mindset of all humans. Especially those that are still children.

7/24/2021 12:22 pm  #5

griff wrote:

...t's a good thing we're all perfectly capable of keeping a cool head.

Uh, yeah...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/28/2021 7:21 pm  #6

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera