cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2021 10:38 pm  #1

Forest Fires... Wild Fires... Grass Fires... Brush Fires

We see the horrendous fires on the west coast and have much empathy for the people/critters living (and dying) out there.
Maybe even feel a little guilty we in the midwest and east don't have that danger haunting us.
Well stow that guilt Bunkie because you're dead wrong. There have been terrible fires in this part of the country.
Prairie lightning fires in the middle plains, killer forest fires in MI and MN. New England down to Florida has burned many times.
Well sure but that's history, it couldn't happen now.
Wrong it's been awhile and with the policy of stop every fire has allowed the fuel to build up.
Also, the Beverly Hillbillies was ass backwards, real people want enough money to leave the city to live in the woods.
https://apps.npr.org/us-wildfires-impact-environment-climate-change/

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/13/2021 5:29 am  #2

Re: Forest Fires... Wild Fires... Grass Fires... Brush Fires

Undertoad wrote:

my step-nephew won't have kids because he's scared of the future

he's brilliant and his potential kids would be brilliant and would be liberalish and solve all kinds of problems if they were born

but they won't be

and this is now a TREND among young liberalish urbanish educated people

which is ironically where emissions continue to decline - as countries grow an upper middle class their emissions go down

nice going everybody you fucked up the future by demanding everybody worry endlessly about the future

"Worrying about the future" was a factor (one of several) in my decision not to have kids as far back as the 1990s. Whilst I agree that such kids (mine and your step-nephew's) might well have contributed to a solution to the problem I think they would always have been too few to have much impact on the effect of the masses.

Living life on the edge.

8/13/2021 12:18 pm  #3

"Alone your single decision probably won't affect things..."
Nice of you.

8/13/2021 8:13 pm  #4

Bah, children take too long to cook even with a good fire...

Even longer to smoke 'em.

8/14/2021 10:28 am  #5

One in four children have nightmares about Global Warming?  What Fox New report invented that myth?

Life is always about confronting new challenges.  We did it with automobiles when the anti-American extremists said it could not and should not be solved.  Again, with the Ozone layer.  That one was easier because we did not have adults who are still children; being hyped into a frenzy on lies - ie January 6.

Global warming is clearly a problem that has been made worse by the so many naysayers (who also believe lies about the Covid vaccine).  They, not the technical problem, are a greatest threat to mankind. 

The science is again will proven.  And denied only by the reptilian brain that extremists use.  They are the greatest obstruction to humanity and problem solving.  Life is always about solving the next challenge.  Otherwise life has no purpose.

We need only view facts posted in the Old Cellar back around 2003 to learn what would happen.  5,000 American servicemen uselessly killed in Iraq due to lies about Saddam's WMDs.  Because Fox News, et al were lying. That is what they do.

The predicted American defeat in Afghanistan finally happening because we failed to do and learn from what Sze Tze wrote 2000 years before Columbus. What we did not do in 2002 and 2003.  Again, because Fox News, et al lied to and was believed by adults who still think like children.  They (not the many existing and future threats) remain the source of ignored problems.

We need more moderates - educated people.  Problem solving is what inspires and makes life interesting.  Only the emotional fear problems - by even ignoring or deny them.

8/14/2021 10:53 am  #6

The whole tire dump thing is crazy.  It needs to be done like a coal mine, where you leave columns to support the weight above.  With the tires, you have the whole fucking desert.  It's pure laziness and stupidity to not leave fire breaks every 100 feet or so. A big grid, with sand streets in between.  So fucking stupid.  5 minutes of thought would come up with a better plan than the big dump they did.

8/14/2021 4:53 pm  #7

glatt wrote:

The whole tire dump thing is crazy.  It needs to be done like a coal mine, where you leave columns to support the weight above.  With the tires, you have the whole fucking desert.  It's pure laziness and stupidity to not leave fire breaks every 100 feet or so. A big grid, with sand streets in between.  So fucking stupid.  5 minutes of thought would come up with a better plan than the big dump they did.

Why dump them there at all? Those aren't just local, they came from somewhere. Sulaibiya, Kuwait has the biggest tire dump in the world, and I doubt Saddam's army left them there. They don't appear to be grinding them up just dumping them in the desert. I guess nobody owns the desert other than the country, government, or Monarch.
But you know, as bad as that smoke looks it's a pisshole in a snowbank compared to the things around us we mostly can't see but which a pushing the change.
You know the old saying, when mama's not happy, ain't nobody happy.
When Mother Earth is pushed into menopause ain't nobody gonna be happy. 

8/14/2021 6:46 pm  #8

I was gonna get a truck and pick up those runaway tire belts/treads ya see on the highways/intrerstates.  I was gonna recycle them.  We had a place right here in town that did just that.  So I went and checked on prices.

Then, rubber for recycling was bringing six cents a ton.

Yeah, I was gonna be rich!  Rich, I tell ya!

Last edited by TheNeverWas (8/14/2021 6:46 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Board footera