cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2021 6:29 pm  #51

Re: Aircraft.

345 (miles) * 5280 (feet per mile) = 1,821,600 feet above the earth

1,821,600 (target altitude in feet) - 38,100 (missile launch altitude in feet) = 1,783,500 (distance missile travels from launch to target)

1,783,500 (distance in feet) / 5,280 (feet per mile) = 338 (miles traveled by missile), presumably under power since it's probably uphill all the way from the plane to the satellite, no ballistic coasting involved

that's a looong shot.

I looked it up.  Impressive.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/19/2021 12:59 pm  #52

I didn't know...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/01/2021 4:39 pm  #53

The B-36, an aluminum overcast...

and the Deltas, Flying Wings, on the drawing boards in the 1930's.

7/02/2021 4:47 pm  #54

Well, ya shape sumpin like a boomerang, it's bound to come back...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/02/2021 7:18 pm  #55

TheNeverWas wrote:

Well, ya shape sumpin like a boomerang, it's bound to come back...

+10 clever wordplay

Be Just And Fear Not

7/08/2021 1:59 am  #56

Looks like a good show...

7/09/2021 11:34 pm  #57

I wonder if you can call it the same plane when it came home?

7/28/2021 4:28 pm  #58

B-1B Low level exercise from the flight deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=eLODYlssn_E

Any ideas of the area they are overflying?
I'd hazard a guess at New Mexico or northern Texas but I'm probably somewhat wide of the mark and I am a long way away. (Just getting my excuses in early).
There's a very prominent and distinctively shaped mountain just after the 22 min point which requires a sharpish right turn to avoid.
Any thoughts, Dwellars?

ETA. Try as I might, I can't embed the video so apologies for just posting the link.

Last edited by Carruthers (7/28/2021 4:33 pm)

7/28/2021 6:20 pm  #59

Hi Carruthers!

That was pretty cool, thanks.  A couple notes, 

1 -- if you're in "Post Reply" mode, or editing a "Quick Reply", you can copy the link of the YouTube video by clicking on the "Share" arrow under the video playing and copy the link, or copy the link from the address bar of your browser.  Paste that link into the dialog box shown in the cellar Message window you get when you click the little black and red and white "YouTube" button.  That will post a preview of the YouTube video.  And your way works too.

2 -- Teh Google Image Search says the location of your flight video is the Black Rock Desert.  I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Thanks for the vid!

Be Just And Fear Not

7/28/2021 7:35 pm  #60

Boy, he stands it right up on the wingtip there at about 24 minutes even, don't he?

Prolly got the wings sticking straight out, too.  That wingspan's only about 140 feet or so.

Cool vid Mr. C!

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/28/2021 7:39 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/29/2021 3:51 am  #61

Thanks, BigV!

Right here we go...

Bingo!

And thanks for the info re Black Rock desert. It looks pretty unforgiving country out there.

7/29/2021 4:01 am  #62

TheNeverWas wrote:

Boy, he stands it right up on the wingtip there at about 24 minutes even, don't he?

Prolly got the wings sticking straight out, too.  That wingspan's only about 140 feet or so.

Cool vid Mr. C!

The angle of bank put the frighteners up me!
Memory is somewhat rusty these days, but I do remember that the stalling speed increases with angle of bank.
If the wings were in the extended position I suppose that would give him something to play with, even so...

I'd be interested to know speed and height for that trip. I'd hazard a guess at not more than 250kts but willing to stand corrected.
Unfortunately, glimpses of the panel weren't clear enough to glean any useful information.

Glad you enjoyed it. I aim to please.

7/29/2021 4:28 am  #63

One from this side of the Atlantic.

Royal Air Force Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets low level in the Mach Loop and over Lake District.
Cockpit view from wingman aircraft as these fast jets fly from RAF Coningsby through the Tactical Training Area Low Fly Zones in Wales and England at 500mph.
The Mach Loop is a series of valleys in Wales, UK, were aircraft can fly as low as 250ft above the terrain.
There are various photo viewpoints along the valleys, which I have indicated in the video.

7/29/2021 6:42 am  #64

Too cool for school.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/01/2021 10:53 pm  #65

Jet Blue landing at an L.A. airport with and excellent pilot...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (8/01/2021 10:54 pm)

8/02/2021 12:42 pm  #66

8/05/2021 12:06 am  #67

I think the pilots were burning off trash blocking the inlet.

It's a Hemi...

8/09/2021 10:27 pm  #68

Stalin asked Churchill for spitfires but Churchill said no, they were too precious to send, but he came up with a plan.

8/10/2021 11:32 am  #69

Sick leave! Sick leave?
Put your feet on and get in that plane.

8/11/2021 5:26 am  #70

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Stalin asked Churchill for Spitfires but Churchill said no, they were too precious to send, but he came up with a plan.

Some years ago there was speculation that a number of Hurricanes which were delivered to Russia had never been used and were buried still in their crates somewhere on a Russian airfield.
I haven't been able to find anything relating to that on the net but my searches did turn up a recent report of the death at the age of 101 of Warrant Officer Eric Carter who was thought to be the last surviving RAF Hurricane pilot from the operation to defend the Murmansk region.

BBC report 3rd August 2021.

Eric Carter Wikipedia

8/12/2021 12:07 pm  #71

To save all those exploding carbs, somebody finally invented carb heat:
https://www.cartalk.com/radio/puzzler/special-aviation-puzzler-0

8/14/2021 6:52 pm  #72

Carruthers wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Stalin asked Churchill for Spitfires but Churchill said no, they were too precious to send, but he came up with a plan.

Some years ago there was speculation that a number of Hurricanes which were delivered to Russia had never been used and were buried still in their crates somewhere on a Russian airfield.
I haven't been able to find anything relating to that on the net but my searches did turn up a recent report of the death at the age of 101 of Warrant Officer Eric Carter who was thought to be the last surviving RAF Hurricane pilot from the operation to defend the Murmansk region. 

They sent 550 planes and 38 pilots, maybe some mechanics too but I didn't see any mentioned.
They very well may have held some planes in reserve in case the losses were high, then buried them after the Germans advance was stopped.

.Eric Carter, "It was a very dangerous time and I supposed we were frightened at times until you had actually got the message to scramble, and then you were so busy, you didn't have time to be frightened."

Fear comes from knowing what could/might happen next, while you're waiting for next to arrive.
When next does arrive your attention is focused on what to do about it, What are they doing, if they're following a routine pattern will previous plans work? Do you need a new plan, or do you just have to play it by ear and react to what happens. Plenty of time for fear after it's over.

8/20/2021 12:11 am  #73

An old battle weary soldier comes home...

10/26/2021 12:32 am  #74

76,000 feet, that's U-2 territory.  Aloft for 18 days at a time, I wonder how the EPA would rate the mileage?

12/04/2021 11:19 pm  #75

Patent application for a whole plane parachute.
The one that looks like spiderman pulls the lower three out.

Board footera