cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2021 9:45 pm  #1

Hop Tokens

My grandad was a numismatist.  I only remember him being retired and spending hours in his study with his collection.   Whilst sharing a Bell's Oberon with my friend after a kayak trip on Friday, our conversation moved from hoppy beers to hops, and I mentioned that that my granddad was considered an eminent person in the field of hop tokens.  When he died, his collection (alongside his regular collection) merited its own auction at Christies in London.  She had never heard of them (of course ....having grown up with them I still have the mindset that everyone knows about them).  So I googled to find a good explanation, and it occurred to me some of y'all might also be interested in this snippet of southern English history

Last edited by monster (8/23/2021 9:56 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/22/2021 9:46 pm  #2

Re: Hop Tokens

(for those on vacation, click on the underlined  words "Hop Tokens" for the link ;) )

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/22/2021 9:54 pm  #3

Hm Ok the link only seems to work the first few times, even when I accept cookies.   But I think it works the fist time, so go for it if you're interested.  I tried :/

8/22/2021 10:01 pm  #4

8/22/2021 10:07 pm  #5

I did also google a bit more to see if i could find any documentation from Christies, but the sale predates the internet by eons and some change.   But I did find this..... I'm not wholly sure what this sale was, it was long after my Grandfather died (He was Philip Gee), so maybe someone bought the whole lot and kept it together and then subsequently put it up for sale? )  But it's funny that someone is trying to sell this catalog from a sale 

Last edited by monster (8/22/2021 10:09 pm)

8/23/2021 6:13 am  #6

This is the coolest thing I've learned today. Very interesting bit of history/agriculture.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/23/2021 7:21 am  #7

Selling/owning catalogs of former sales is a really big part of numismatics, because 1.) it identifies the provenance of specific coins, which can increase their value if they're ever sold again, and 2.) it helps identify what a random coin might be, if its general history and identification is lost. My dad right now is big into ancient Chinese coins, and is relying on old illustrated catalogs a lot because of course he doesn't speak Chinese.

8/23/2021 9:54 pm  #8

Clodfobble wrote:

Selling/owning catalogs of former sales is a really big part of numismatics, because 1.) it identifies the provenance of specific coins, which can increase their value if they're ever sold again, and 2.) it helps identify what a random coin might be, if its general history and identification is lost. My dad right now is big into ancient Chinese coins, and is relying on old illustrated catalogs a lot because of course he doesn't speak Chinese.

yes, I am just amused by it because this was not the original sale.  But I guess it add to the provenance although I've never heard of this auction house

Board footera