cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2020 4:34 pm  #1

A shawl I knitted for a swap

I’m taking part in an online shawl swap. This is what my recipient will be getting. I’ve also knitted the same thing for me in red, but it’s not blocked (i.e. pinned out into shape while damp) yet.

Living life on the edge.

10/23/2020 4:36 pm  #2

Re: A shawl I knitted for a swap

my brain couldn't figure out why you knitted something for a wasp

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/23/2020 4:51 pm  #3

Flint wrote:

my brain couldn't figure out why you knitted something for a wasp

Haggis!

Living life on the edge.

10/23/2020 5:14 pm  #4

That's really nice, too bad folks stare at me when I where shawls, must be a regional thing.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/23/2020 7:12 pm  #5

Limey wrote:

I’m taking part in an online shawl swap. This is what my recipient will be getting.

Excellent! Great job!

I can't imagine participating in a shawl swap. I did a Holden for Mrs. D and it was enough. (I usually knit smaller things--socks and hats--that don't require as much time as a shawl. Though I've been tempted.)

10/23/2020 7:47 pm  #6

bloody hell that's amazing.  I covet, even though i NEVER wear shawls.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/23/2020 8:09 pm  #7

I can't do shawls either, but I do have one knit thing in that style--it's kind of like a fitted jacket/cardigan shape, but with 3/4 sleeves and super long. It's still only wearable maybe 3 months out of the year, even worn over a tank top.

10/23/2020 9:28 pm  #8

You totally don't suck at that. Like, 100% non suck.

Hey! That's me up there!

10/23/2020 10:25 pm  #9

Is that a triangle? Are shawls normally that shape?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/24/2020 4:15 am  #10

Thank you for all the compliments folks! I am rather proud of it 🤗.
xoB, no it’s not the “typical” shawl shape. The design is based on the carved stonework that you’d find in cathedrals and the shape is (allegedly, though I didn’t use mathematical instruments to pin it out) a one twelfth of a circle segment, again based on cathedral architecture (the spectacular rose windows that some have).

Living life on the edge.

10/24/2020 11:39 am  #11

how long did that take?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/24/2020 11:51 am  #12

It's too nice to hang around in a closet that should be wall mounted and appreciated.

10/24/2020 1:03 pm  #13

Monster, I always find it hard to answer that question. I bought the yarn on 10th August and finished knitting about a month ago, so mebbe six weeks of evening telly watching?
xoB, I’d rather the recipient wore it, a lot!

Living life on the edge.

10/24/2020 2:56 pm  #14

That is not a very long time for something so intricate!  beyond impressed

10/27/2020 11:55 am  #15

That's lovely! I like how it echoes cathedral architecture. I also like how it appears delicate and crisp.

Co-mingling with the best of them since 2001.

10/27/2020 3:06 pm  #16

Thanks again everyone!

Living life on the edge.

10/28/2020 12:42 pm  #17

Limey wrote:

Monster, I always find it hard to answer that question. I bought the yarn on 10th August and finished knitting about a month ago, so mebbe six weeks of evening telly watching?
xoB, I’d rather the recipient wore it, a lot!

How about knitting needles with tiny motion sensors inside the needle? They register movement and can tell you how long you've been knitting.

Hey! That's me up there!

10/29/2020 4:04 am  #18

No, bad idea.
Oh damn, I'm behind schedule, the last one I knitted I was much further ahead at this point. I call it FitBit Syndrome.
Just the other day a Fanboi I know was complaining his iWatch was telling him since he'd been wearing it to bed to track his sleep patterns
he was getting 5 hours of sleep compared to his normal 7 to 8.
As soon as he stopped wearing the damn watch to bed he went back to the 7 or 8 hours.

These electronic gizmos are taking over your life, when was the last time you left home without your phone?
That's what I thought, slave.
Just remember not to drop me, or get me wet, and I love when you stick that hot cable up my butt.
Calm down, we'll go when I'm juiced up and ready... just twiddle your thumbs and I'll tell you when.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (10/29/2020 4:04 am)

10/29/2020 6:56 am  #19

The emperor's new electronic device.

Hey! That's me up there!

Board footera