cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2021 1:17 am  #1

Stolen Car

It's getting more sophisticated and complicated but actually easier to steal a car.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/13/2021 11:54 am  #2

Re: Stolen Car

Tough

9/13/2021 2:29 pm  #3

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

It's getting more sophisticated and complicated but actually easier to steal a car.

I'm a bit puzzled by this.
My car, a VW, requires the key fob to be present in the car before it will start.
I'm surprised that Mr Cruise's BMW doesn't employ a similar system.
Or aren't we being told the whole story?

9/13/2021 3:33 pm  #4

Missing steps:

Step 1 - Catch the signal from the car
Step 2 - Copy that signal to another dude: not strictly necessary, but maybe the first dude has a parking-lot-excuse (like being a valet) and the second dude has a hotel-excuse (like being a bellhop)
  Step 2a - Stand fairly close to the car owner, or wherever the genuine key fob is
Step 3 - Transmit the fake-car signal to the keyfob, and
  Step 3a - Catch the return signal from the keyfob
  Step 3b - Go back to the car, and transmit the fake-keyfob signal to the car door

Step 4 - Car thinks the actual keyfob is present, and unlocks the door

9/14/2021 5:26 am  #5

Clodfobble wrote:

Missing steps:

Step 1 - Catch the signal from the car
Step 2 - Copy that signal to another dude: not strictly necessary, but maybe the first dude has a parking-lot-excuse (like being a valet) and the second dude has a hotel-excuse (like being a bellhop)
  Step 2a - Stand fairly close to the car owner, or wherever the genuine key fob is
Step 3 - Transmit the fake-car signal to the keyfob, and
  Step 3a - Catch the return signal from the keyfob
  Step 3b - Go back to the car, and transmit the fake-keyfob signal to the car door

Step 4 - Car thinks the actual keyfob is present, and unlocks the door

Thanks Clod, for that explanation, but I hope you'll forgive me if I point out that Step 4 only appears to open the door so how is the vehicle started?

BMW's UK website tells us:

Your BMW includes our Comfort Go system as standard, so there's no need to fumble around with a key to start the engine.
So long as the key fob is in the car with you, the ignition can be turned on by simply pressing the Start Stop button once.

How does the felon overcome that hurdle?
Once again, I'm probably missing something obvious, so your patience is appreciated!

BMW UK

Last edited by Carruthers (9/14/2021 5:27 am)

9/14/2021 6:55 am  #6

The ignition button sends a signal to the keyfob, just like the door does. The door won't open without the key "in range" either, but the fake signaller is, in effect, a duplicated key. It's a thing that sends the same response code that the real keyfob does, and it will send it to the door, the ignition, or anything else that asks (which is how the second person, who got close to the key owner, was able to trigger that automatic keyfob response, and copy it, even though they are neither a door nor an ignition.)

9/14/2021 9:44 am  #7

Thanks Clod. Light is beginning to dawn!

My assumption was, setting aside the keyfob's door opening function, that it was inert for want of a better description.
I didn't realise that it was part of a multi destination network.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain.

Carruthers.

PS Just had a mini panic as I couldn't find my own fob and I've got a supermarket trip in an hour or two.
All is well!

Board footera