cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2021 9:08 pm  #1

Volcano Eruption in the Canary islands

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/27/2021 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Volcano Eruption in the Canary islands

For reasons that escape me to this day, I had a week in Tenerife decades ago.
I think that all the Canary Islands are just the tips of volcanoes, Tenerife's being Mt Teide.
It was a bizarre sort of place with evidence of volcanic activity never far away the most conspicuous of which was the black sand on the beaches.
Mt Teide last erupted in 1909 but I imagine that the good people of Tenerife are keeping their volcano under close observation.

9/27/2021 2:31 pm  #3

God, imagine having no scientific understanding of what that is.

Just, the shrieking Earth is exploding the guts of Hell out onto the surface..

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

9/27/2021 2:57 pm  #4

Carruthers wrote:

For reasons that escape me to this day, I had a week in Tenerife decades ago.

Musta been a good week!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/27/2021 6:27 pm  #5

Earth vomits again.

9/28/2021 6:05 am  #6

must have gotten some bad virgin

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/11/2021 2:23 pm  #7

Over the last couple of weeks the BBC World News has ended with a report of the eruption showing the flow of lava after dark.

One evening, Dad had the subtitles on which are generated automatically and I was amused to read that scientists were concerned about what would happen when the 'lover hits the water'.

I'm not making light of the situation as it must be terrifying living on the island.

Just a quick question, are any Dwellars from Washington State?
If so, do you have any memories of the Mt St Helens eruption of 1980?

10/11/2021 8:37 pm  #8

I live in Washington State.

I wasn't living here when Mt St Helens exploded, but I do have several containers of the ash.  And I've been to the mountain a number of times, visited Spirit Lake, camped around the area including at the edge of the blast zone.  Its staggering the scale of the damage from the explosion--just.... incomprehensible.

Be Just And Fear Not

10/12/2021 6:09 am  #9

That sounds like a photo safari that needs doing.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/12/2021 6:59 am  #10

BigV wrote:

I live in Washington State.

I wasn't living here when Mt St Helens exploded, but I do have several containers of the ash.  And I've been to the mountain a number of times, visited Spirit Lake, camped around the area including at the edge of the blast zone.  Its staggering the scale of the damage from the explosion--just.... incomprehensible.

I had a look at the Wiki entry for the event and was struck by this...

About 57 people were killed....
...Hundreds of square miles were reduced to wasteland, causing over $1 billion in damage (equivalent to $3.5 billion in 2020), thousands of animals were killed, and Mount St. Helens was left with a crater on its north side.

I shudder to think what destruction would be wrought should the Yellowstone volcano ever erupt.

1980 Mt St Helens Eruption

10/12/2021 1:38 pm  #11

After several weeks of spouting and steaming the mountain drew us up from northern California to see for ourselves.
We camped in the rain for a week or so about 10 miles south then moved up to the top of Goat Mountain maybe 5 miles out for two days.
Ran out of film, food and patience two days before the eruption, but would have been in a safe place for a perfect view.
I had been to Spirit Lake in the late 60's and have been interested in the area ever since.

10/13/2021 5:55 am  #12

Carruthers wrote:

I shudder to think what destruction would be wrought should the Yellowstone volcano ever erupt.

That would be on a whole different level...

10/13/2021 6:10 pm  #13

Carruthers wrote:

Over the last couple of weeks the BBC World News has ended with a report of the eruption showing the flow of lava after dark.

One evening, Dad had the subtitles on which are generated automatically and I was amused to read that scientists were concerned about what would happen when the 'lover hits the water'.

Closed captions make many mistakes, they are underpaid and under appreciated.
The reason for the concern about the "lover" hitting the water is...
"When lava enters the ocean, it heats up seawater extremely rapidly, splitting water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen ions. Some of the hydrogen combines with chlorine ions in the seawater to form hydrochloric acid and produce a gas that is toxic when inhaled.".

"HCl, hydrogen chloride is a gaseous molecule at ambient circumstances. As a strong acid, it will dissolve and split as soon as it encounters water turning into hydrochloric acid.". 

"Kilauea on Hawaii emits hundreds to thousands of tons (as in the weight unit) of SO2 a day. SO2 dissolves in water to become H2S03, which will degrade into H2SO4, sulfuric acid.".

Just a quick question, are any Dwellars from Washington State?
If so, do you have any memories of the Mt St Helens eruption of 1980? 

I was there working at the power plant in Centralia. I posted pictures in the old cellar of a ride in a small plane over(around couldn't fly over) the mountain before I left a couple months after the eruption.They used snow plows to clear the ash in the motel parking lot.
When you returned a rental car they popped the hood and opened the air cleaner to make sure you hadn't removed the filter element.
Walking down a back road on the north side of the Toutle River, after the barricades, the ground was covered with mud made of ash which showed how far the river had come up at it's peak flood stage.
It had been more than a month so the mud had dried out, plus it was damn hot to start with. About 100 yards (completely made up number because I don't remember) down this road I noticed a road sign I think was for a curve, but the sign was only 5 feet off the ground. WTF that sign should be 7 or 8 feet high.
That's when the crust broke and I was up to my balls in mud. I'd been keeping an eye on things like downed trees to see how deep the mud was but didn't realise that mud floated huge logs like they were twigs.
Back to the motel to clean my pants, mud on the outside and shit on the inside.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/16/2021 2:38 pm  #14

If Joe had jumped into that volcano, would the Canary Islands still exist?

Last edited by tw (10/16/2021 2:39 pm)

Board footera