cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2021 10:18 pm  #276

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

BigV wrote:

a rando piece of wire will hold the heavy fan while the electrical connections are made #voiceofexperience

Yeah, that's how we did it........

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/21/2021 10:21 pm  #277

Limey wrote:

BigV wrote:

a rando piece of wire will hold the heavy fan while the electrical connections are made #voiceofexperience

No doubt. But adjusting the step-ladder to hold the weight is TOP!

totally. Son did the wire, I held the stepladder at the bottom to assist with tis.  It was hard enough that way, so hats off for your solo accomplishment.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/22/2021 5:55 am  #278

Nice fence!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/22/2021 11:16 am  #279

Beautiful fence and a lot of it.
Do the pups respect it so far? 

9/22/2021 3:29 pm  #280

Thanks all!

@DJ - yea.  We were only out there a little bit yesterday, but they can't really fit through the openings.  Besides, Max was too busy rolling his head in the grass to think about escaping

9/24/2021 4:08 pm  #281

Well, I managed to get the floor down and the walls primed with a second coat before the washer and dryer arrived.  I was concerned because the first coat took on a brownish/orange hue, but the second coat has stayed white.

With the washer/dryer

I'm going to see how much progress I can make this weekend with it.  I'm going to have to figure out how to get the flooring under the thresholds, though.  One of them has screws that aren't easy to remove so far and the other one doesn't have anything.  

I also want to finish putting the flooring in the gym.  My friend wants to have an inaugural deadlift session in there, so I've gotta finish it up!  I also found some wood repair for water damaged wood.  I'm hoping I can use that to fix the walls and also get rid of the musty smell.  I still need to replace the doors and seal it up better against creepy crawlies

9/25/2021 3:54 pm  #282

So, I started on the flooring in the laundry room.  Now, I need a new threshold from the inside to the outside.  No biggie, I'll get it tomorrow.  I made progress on the gym flooring instead.  I need to trim the one on the left and get a transition for between the two flooring types.  I thought I could just lay the grey on top of it, but it's too much of a height difference.

I also got the new bell I'm going to put on my fence!!  I think I'll wait until I seal the fence to attach it

9/26/2021 4:35 pm  #283

My friend came over today and we tested out the gym - lol.  He said he would be able to help trim the gym flooring.  I think if I tried it with the utility knife, it would slip and I would cut myself or something.

I made UBER progress in the laundry room today.  The only thing left is a 2 inch space on the right that I have to finish.  I'm REALLY happy with this.  I do have to get a new threshold for the door to the left and replace the one to the right (or at least the plastic part), but I think that'll be easy.

AND my friend was able to fix/replace the toilet valve and inner workings in one bathroom, so no more screaming toilet when flushing!!  He's going to replace the other one this week or next weekend.  It's nice having handy friends :D

9/26/2021 8:31 pm  #284

bbro wrote:

It's nice having handy friends :D

indeed... 

(bad monster)

9/27/2021 7:22 am  #285

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

It's nice having handy friends :D

indeed... 

(bad monster)

.....(facepalm)...

Last edited by bbro (9/27/2021 7:22 am)

9/27/2021 11:56 am  #286

That flooring in the laundry room looks really nice!

9/27/2021 2:08 pm  #287

That's a nice looking fence, is it going to be painted, stained, clear coated, or left to weather?
Be thankful you don't have this bathroom..

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/27/2021 4:08 pm  #288

@Clod - Thanks!  That's the flooring that arrived damaged the first time, then they sent me a whole new order.

@Bruce - I'm going to seal it, but the installers say to wait 6-8 weeks.  I'm going to buy a sprayer because I'll have to do it every year (I think).

9/28/2021 4:39 pm  #289

I got an asbestos test on amazon.  I sent in a sample from my bathroom wall - and no asbestos!!  I can install the medicine cabinet finally :D

9/29/2021 1:25 am  #290

Hooray! More progress.
Actually you're making a shitload of progress, it may not feel like it because you're always looking at the next thing but you're doing damn good. You go Girl!

9/29/2021 6:50 pm  #291

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Hooray! More progress.
Actually you're making a shitload of progress, it may not feel like it because you're always looking at the next thing but you're doing damn good. You go Girl!

Thanks.  It doesn't feel like it because it doesn't feel like anything is ever finished.  Like, I went to put together my bench in the gym today, but of course I couldn't finish it because I didn't have the right f'ing wrench.  I never knew exactly how many things I'm missing.

I do think that I've decided that I'm definitely going to be redoing the master bathroom sink sooner rather than later.  I keep looking for storage solutions (because there is NO storage there) and the options that will actually fit are expensive!  And there aren't many because it's a wall mounted sink with the pipe underneath, so I can't just buy a cabinet without cutting the top.

I'm holding off on buying a proper grill and just using my portable one I bought for camping with a big tank and adapter hose.  Should last until I can save money again.

9/29/2021 6:53 pm  #292

bbro wrote:

Should last until I can save money again.

lol you're hilarious... now you're a house-owner you will NEVER save money again...... ;)

9/30/2021 12:14 am  #293

And nothing will ever be truly finished. 

9/30/2021 7:16 am  #294

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

Should last until I can save money again.

lol you're hilarious... now you're a house-owner you will NEVER save money again...... ;)

In all honesty, I picked the mortgage limit for much lower than I was actually approved for just for the ability to still be able to save money and pay more than the actual mortgage payment.  I'll have to pay off the two deferred interest credits first, but after that, I'll be able to save plenty

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

And nothing will ever be truly finished. 

I mean, there's always things that can still be improved, but I do have a "done" defined for current projects.

9/30/2021 9:53 pm  #295

they're both right.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/30/2021 11:14 pm  #296

^       we are.......... but don't let us interrupt your honeymoon ...after all, we all still have that dream too, decades on...... 

10/01/2021 5:13 pm  #297

That laundry room floor looks professionally done.  Four indicators.  First a gap along that left wall is properly done.  Second, gaps anywhere in the floor indicate everything was properly squared.  Third, flooring looks done properly at every threshold (doorways often are when mistakes become obvious).  And it appears flooring was done properly around that heat vent.

If gluing down a linoleum or tile (not ceramic) floor, a roller should be used to proper squeeze out air pockets.  These 75 pound rollers are best rented.  Not doing so often results in some tiles coming loose years later.

Sound of air pockets squeezing out says why that roller is useful.   Floors done this way often do not lose tiles even after flood waters.

10/01/2021 5:15 pm  #298

I got an asbestos test on amazon.

Do they also test for lead in paint?

10/01/2021 9:37 pm  #299

There is only A in PAINT. no LED. 

That will be $85 for the call-out.

We can install an LED if you would like.

10/02/2021 10:01 am  #300

monster wrote:

We can install an LED if you would like.

Does that come in iridescent colors with nacreous dimension?

Board footera