cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2021 12:10 pm  #51

Re: Advertising

Ah, Amazon.
Did they give you a choice of a refund or another jug?
You really wanted the oil, not the money.

4/15/2021 4:33 am  #52

They gave him the option of getting it somewhere else or reordering it.
I've been hearing the term high mileage oil referred to oil for motors with high mileage on them, but also oil to use for 15k miles or more miles between changes. I doubt the same product would be used for both applications. I don't think it's the advertising but people using the term. Seems to me that would lead to some confusing conversations.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/15/2021 7:22 am  #53

I reordered, and the new jug came last week.  Changed the oil on Sunday.  The jug says it's for engines with over 75K on the odometer.

And the internet says the oil swells rubber seals slightly, causing them to do a better job of sealing after they are all old an dry and cracked.

4/15/2021 9:33 am  #54

Might be jinxing m'self, but...

Cherry Bomb doesn't leak any oil.  179,000 miles and no oil leaks is great.  No transmission leaks, no pwr steering leaks.  Doesn't lose brake fluid.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm using reglar ol' 5w30 Castrol, btw.  I've had older,  leaking engines respond well to thicker oils.  I had a 71 Pontiac GT-37 that leaked oil like a sieve, it only lost half as much 20w50 as it did reglar oil.  It also burned more oil than the retreating Iraqi army, like a quart per 25 miles.  That was also helped by the 20w50.

4/16/2021 10:11 pm  #55

You're lucky, leaks can be such a pain in the ass you don't want to drive it unless you have to.

4/18/2021 9:41 pm  #56

American Airlines touting their sleeper coaches where you have pleasant dreams...

as opposed to the pilot's nightmare.

4/19/2021 10:03 pm  #57

Sort of advertising... If the government hadn't been drying up the rubber supply I might not have been born.

4/20/2021 6:02 am  #58

lol!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/20/2021 12:19 pm  #59

Probably shouldn't think about the difference between "scrap" and "used" rubber.

4/22/2021 7:22 am  #60

"Rubber" is so crude.

I prefer the term 'manhole cover'...

7/28/2021 11:56 pm  #61

During the 50's and 60's we heard a lot about diseases, vaccines, and what seemed like wild medical procedures mostly because of TV.
At the end of the 60's they started advertising prescription meds directly to the public.
People were a little overwhelmed with all this strange information and had questions with no answers.
Some ad agency came up with a plan, have a Doctor write a book that nobody could buy with answers out the wazoo.
The way to get it was with a subscription to Moneysworth Magazine, then it was free.
One MD writing about every field of medicine hmm...

Throw in some scare tactics like you'll die when no doctor will come and you didn't get this book!

8/21/2021 7:09 pm  #62

This Coke promotion offering sizeable discounts on some popular car accessories was a good deal.
I don't remember seeing it which is odd .I should thing it would have been in some of the major automotive magazines. Talking to a buddy we concluded it must have been a regional thing, but talking to people in various parts of the country nobody has ever seen it. Granted I haven't found people from every nook and cranny who are old enough to have seen it, and there are 68 coke bottlers in the country so that many territories.

The best part is I'm expending time and energy in search of something that nobody, I mean literally nobody, gives a rat's ass about. 

8/22/2021 7:11 am  #63

lol. Gotta do something! That promo is definitely stuck in time.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/04/2021 12:53 am  #64

Yeah, and stuck in about the time I was working at Kanuika's speed shop so I should have been aware of it.

9/13/2021 1:05 am  #65

I wondered where they would place this add as I didn't think HotRod, LIFE or Popular Mechanix would work.
One Canadian told me they were in her aunt's movie magazines.

9/13/2021 12:08 pm  #66

I wonder if Mark Eden's "Course" included a home visit.

9/27/2021 7:40 pm  #67

Need a plumber to do preventive maintenance...

9/29/2021 3:14 pm  #68

Apparently, when he said the future would turn to shit, we shoulda listened.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

11/24/2021 2:40 am  #69

What you see (in ads) is usually not what you get. Often it's, well not like pictured in the ad but about what I expected.
But sometimes it's, why those dirty bastards, what a rip off.

2/13/2022 2:39 am  #70

After Prohibition ended in 1933 at the will of the people, the do-gooders didn't give up easily. They passed all kinds of restrictions one being on advertising. The beer and some wine producers turned to their trucks a mobile billboards. The better the truck caught the public's eye the better so some build attention whores that couldn't be missed.
The Labatts are my favorites, especially the second design. Both were bright red and gold with chrome trim.
The Miller truck looks like a pudgy van but it's actually a very big truck.
I threw in the Jungle Yacht because it was desighed by the same guy as Labatts trucks.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (2/13/2022 2:43 am)

2/20/2022 12:45 am  #71

At the time Hertz was doing the black & gold Mustangs evidently Wards was doing Camaros.
I never heard of it and wonder if it was certain cities or some major airports.

2/20/2022 8:31 am  #72

I wonder how those swoopy big trucks in post #70 compare to today's trucks aerodynamically.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/20/2022 8:31 am  #73

I kinda miss Pam.

3/02/2022 8:34 pm  #74

Advertizing kids cars in 1925...

3/04/2022 9:52 am  #75

Post #71:

Chevway?  Did someone's speech impediment carry over to their typing, or what?

Board footera