cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2021 6:38 pm  #51

Re: Proud Parent Thread

....some also go on to ref, many take up other sports that they always wanted to try but didn't have time when they were doing "their thing" so seriously.  Rowing is very popular among swimmers and polo players ....can't keep away from that water.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/13/2021 9:44 am  #52

Back in March my son and his wife had a 3rd child, a son who they named Jackson Timothy. We visited them in June. The weather was lousy for portraits but one afternoon the clouds parted and some nice late afternoon light came through the window and I was there with camera in hand to capture my son holding his new son. 

10/13/2021 4:24 pm  #53

I see a resemblance.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/14/2021 10:51 pm  #54

Bajaboi is being flown to California for an interview this week.  I thought it must have fallen through because he mentioned it was a possibility a couple weeks ago and then never mentioned it again until he turned up tonight to grab a suitcase and stuff to pack.  Yes technically he's supposed to be living here now, but his gf's roomie had covid and has gone home to give it to her parents so......   

IR proud.  and anxious. they must like him.... right?   I hope he gets it so much.......

Last edited by monster (11/14/2021 10:52 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/15/2021 6:54 am  #55

fingers crossed

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/15/2021 2:10 pm  #56

I hope he gets the job!

11/15/2021 7:35 pm  #57

That's impressive that they are flying him out,

11/15/2021 8:04 pm  #58

Go Bajaboi.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/15/2021 9:21 pm  #59

aw thanks you guys......  he does already have a job to go to here, but he really really wants to go elsewhere because he's interned there for 4 years and knows it's kind of a dead end and not in the field he truly loves.  He did get an internship in Cali last year, but it was cancelled due to... yeah.  Don't know if this is the same company, trying not to be too nosy.....

Poor lamb is confused because he flies in Weds and home Fri but they've only booked the hotel for one night.  He doesn't want to cause waves and is planning to sleep at the airport the night before his flight home and I'm like dude.... it's a mistake.  just check with them.  HR are human (ish).....   but again, trying to back off.  A night in the airport (probably) won't kill him...

Last edited by monster (11/15/2021 9:22 pm)

11/15/2021 11:34 pm  #60

GO GO GO GO GO !!!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

12/12/2021 8:47 am  #61

Lil' Griff has been asked to join this band.
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4boX3IB2STKtAEQfzhMOfn?si=c297c69206654973

It includes one of her band-mates from college. They want her to tour but her career is pointing another direction. Adult choosing can be hard. If they only tour in summer...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/12/2021 11:35 am  #62

Oh, man. Tough stuff, those life-altering decisions. Best of luck to her.

7/30/2022 6:02 pm  #63

Daughter who graduated from college a year ago, and has been working in a really rewarding, but part time and dead end, nature center job for the county just was offered a full time job with benefits from her old college professor doing research in her field of expertise.

She's been living at home for the last year or so, and I've felt bad for her because she is capable of so much more,  Even so, she has been doing a great job for the nature center, creating and running multiple week long day camps, and doing public lectures attended by 100+ people, taking care of the animals, running programs, etc.  The County HR department passed her over for a full time position as a naturalist at the nature center 6 months ago because she didn't have the right experience to check off on their form.  They didn't actually fill the position then either, so as a part time worker she did the naturalist job anyway and kicked ass at it. So the HR people just finally finalized the process of bringing in this full time person, and my daughter had to clean out the desk she had been using to make a spot for the new naturalist, and also train them on how the place works.  So this week started off on a low point for her as she was training her new boss on how to replace her, and she was being relegated to just sitting at the front desk and answering phones.

So then two days later her old professor reached out to her with a job offer as a researcher in her field of study, studying water quality at the lakes in Pennsylvania.  My daughter had applied for this very job a year ago, but wasn't hired.  Some guy with a masters degree and a few years of experience had beaten her for the position, but ended up being a total fuck up and was ultimately fired by the professor.  So glatt girl, who knows this professor very well and has worked with her before on research, had been the second choice for the position last year, and was the first person the professor called after firing this guy.  Glatt girl has no advanced degree, and no professional experience in the field but the professor had liked her so much she was one of the top two candidates, back then, and the top candidate today.

So she got a full time job offer at what is the average salary for Pennsylvania (I looked it up) with benefits.  I am very pleased for her.  But it means we have to scramble now to get her a car.  (Bad timing there.  They are not cheap and there is a lot of competition for the greenie cars she wants.)  She's drafting an email now to tell the prof that she is interested, but needs to talk about compensation.  We'll see if she gets a slightly better offer. Then she needs to give notice at the nature center.   And then she needs to find a place to live in Carlisle, PA.  And then rent a truck and move.

It's all happening so fast.  She'll be gone in 2-3 weeks, and we'll have an empty nest.

7/30/2022 8:21 pm  #64

Nice.  You might remember she was visiting Ursinus back in the day when we met at the KIng of Prussia Mall.  She wound up at Dickinson, and loved it there.

It seems like a nice little town from our visits, and I hope she makes friends there.  Not sure what the mid-20 scene is like there.

7/31/2022 6:24 pm  #65

Hey, that Gravdigr guy is in there!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/31/2022 8:37 pm  #66

Yay Glatt Girl!!!!! so happy to read this   Go get 'em!!!!

7/31/2022 8:38 pm  #67

new Superhero Glatt Girl.  Special Power: instant water analysis.

No?

8/01/2022 6:59 am  #68

Best of luck to glatt-girl with the new job!

8/01/2022 9:12 am  #69

Glatt Girl done good.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/12/2022 4:48 pm  #70

UT said in another thread  "I noticed that, every time I get a chance to show legitimate grace to other people, I also earn the right to feel great about myself"

I'm working on this now, but only internally.

This professor who offered glatt girl a job has now rescinded it, after leading her on.  She suddenly wasn't responding to emails from my girl about next finalizing steps with HR, and then was making vague comments that as my daughter's mentor, she think glatt girl would be better off in her current job instead of taking the job she had just offered glatt girl.

So today after leading glatt girl on for 2 weeks, she finally came clean that she has another candidate and glatt girl loses again.  Last time she lost out to someone with a masters, and this time, glatt girl is "too experienced" and another alum needs the resume builder job more than glatt girl does.  It's all a bunch of gaslighting.  And after two weeks of self serving comments, the professor is finally showing who she is.  My daughter is so incredibly disappointed.

So I'm trying to forgive this woman in my mind.  Really just for my own sanity.  And because I know it's the only way the anger won't eat at me.

8/13/2022 1:40 am  #71

Perhaps it would be easier to forgive if you punched her in the snoot first.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/13/2022 8:10 am  #72

In these situations, I just try to be supportive and level headed for the kid to make sure she's seeing all her options. It's a big country. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation hires Bachelor degrees.

8/13/2022 8:15 am  #73

this time, glatt girl is "too experienced" and another alum needs the resume builder job more than glatt girl does

Maybe this is all speculation and over-interpretation on my part... but this, to me, sounds like what she's actually saying is "we don't like that you asked for more money, and we've found someone who's willing to do it at the lower price."

8/14/2022 10:56 am  #74

Yeah. It's impossible to know, based on the information presented.

My girl's doing pretty well this weekend, so maybe this won't be so bad after all.

8/14/2022 11:55 am  #75

My mother told me that looking for a job is one of the hardest jobs there is.
This is just one of the ways that is true, but it will soon fade into only an unpleasant memory.

Board footera