cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2021 10:49 am  #1

I entered a photo contest and did well!

I retired from commercial photography 20 some years ago but still take a heck of a lot of pictures. I joined a few photography clubs in my area of Houston. One club does an annual contest that is judged by professionals within the design, arts and photography fields. This is my first year in this club but the club president asked me if I would please enter some images. They had 8 categories, BW, Portraiture, Landscape (including city or waterscapes), Street photography, digital manipulation and 2 themed categories- Water and Film Noir. You could enter up to 2 images per category and anything from the past 2 years (since Oct. 2019).

So I chose 16 images to enter. The judges awarded me 2 first place, 2 second place, 2 Curator's Choice and one Honorable Mention awards so 7 in total. There were 28 club members who entered and about 265 images. So I guess I did pretty well. By the way, the portrait is of my son and grandson. Kind of cool to see your children as parents. 

Here they are: 

B&W, 1st Place

Water, 2nd Place

Water, 1st Place

Landscape, Curator's Choice

Portraiture, Honorable Mention

Street Photography, 1st place

Street Photography, Curator's Choice

10/18/2021 5:16 pm  #2

Re: I entered a photo contest and did well!

Neat! I especially like your first place photo for Water.

10/18/2021 5:26 pm  #3

Fantastic

Love the one that shows all the bridges aligned

10/18/2021 6:09 pm  #4

Excellent work!  Well done!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/18/2021 9:15 pm  #5

You had a lot of winning photographs but that doesn't surprise me since you've posted a lot of pictures here and every one is superb.

I recently saw pictures posted that he took at a Road America event for antique racing cars. Both the detail shots in the show area/pits and the on track photos were perfect, clear and color saturated. Of course he's an artist / illustrator so he's got the eye.
" These photos were taken with a Fujifilm X-T4 using a Kodacolor film simulation and a vintage Russian Mir 24-H f/2 35mm lens."
The "Kodacolor film simulation" peaked my interest.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/19/2021 6:36 am  #6

These are brilliant Chris!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/19/2021 7:58 am  #7

Awesome pictures!

10/19/2021 8:18 pm  #8

Clodfobble wrote:

Neat! I especially like your first place photo for Water.

Same here.

You retired from working, but your talent is definitely still on the job.  Well done.

Be Just And Fear Not

10/20/2021 5:10 am  #9

Very nice!

Living life on the edge.

Board footera