cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2021 12:30 pm  #376

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

bbro wrote:

I also requested one of the dressers to be out in a (normal depth) closet, but if they couldn't figure it out, just leave it.  Of course they couldn't.  Even though I told them they'd have to pop the doors out of the track to open wider.  Well, I GOT IT MYSELF THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  Now, I just have to figure out how to remove the doors completely.

If I recall correctly, there should be spring-loaded pins at the top that you press in with a screwdriver or putty knife or something, and then the doors can pop out.

10/27/2021 4:46 pm  #377

@Diaphone - I definitely don't love the vehicle I have now, but I'm high maintenance

@glatt - I got it down.  It wasn't springing down.  I ended up loosening a screw that held the piece of plastic where the springy part lives up top.  I was able to finally pivot it down the track and out.  Of course, I can't get the track or the bottom springy part home.  My drill isn't powerful enough.  It's good enough for now, though.

Today, I went to brush my teeth and ended up putting on one set of tile stickers.  They're a tad small, but they'll work.  
Before on one side:

After on same side

After on other side (forgot the before):

I also covered the counter on the vanity to make it less shitty.  It wasn't the best job, but, again, it'll work.  The pattern was very forgiving with patches and fixes.  If you look close, though, you can see it.  None of my friends are assholes enough to point it out, though  
Before

After

10/27/2021 7:25 pm  #378

Your bathroom looks awesome.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/27/2021 7:34 pm  #379

Thanks fargon!  I'm going to paint the cabinets, too.  To kind of test out some cabinet paint to see if it will work in the kitchen

10/27/2021 9:33 pm  #380

The first things I have completely unpacked.  I missed these bad boys so much

10/27/2021 11:50 pm  #381

Yeah, if after the dust settles she can afford food, she definitly knows how to prepare it umteen ways. 
Bathroom looks great, be interesting to see how the stickers hold up.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/28/2021 6:05 am  #382

Wow, great work on the bathroom. It's good to get the cook books out!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/28/2021 6:34 am  #383

@UT - some of those were my grandmother's cookbooks.  The ones wrapped in brown paper?  Those are cookbooks byMeta Given.   According to my father she was super Home Ec lady.  The red Cooky Book is also a vintage one that is amazing.  That one's a reprint, but my grandmother and great aunts all had a copy.

@Bruce - I even have a cookbook that has a recipe for bear   Thanks and yea, I'm curious to see it too.  They're a little small.  The sizes on the site were confusing, so I ordered wrong.  I'm trying to give them the longest curing time needed

@griff - Thanks!  It is SO good.  They're been packed for almost 2 years!!!

10/28/2021 4:24 pm  #384

I did the master tiles today.  I'm not as happy with the stickers, but it's too much of a pain to return them.  You can see that one of them was so bad I prefered to have the hole in the tile rather than cover it.

Before:

After:

Both sides:

Last edited by bbro (10/28/2021 4:25 pm)

10/28/2021 5:24 pm  #385

They look great from here.

10/28/2021 7:26 pm  #386

Excellant.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/28/2021 10:35 pm  #387

What part of that picture is not new (other than the tiles)?  From the picture, everything looks new. Impressive.

10/28/2021 11:29 pm  #388

That shower looks big enough to have a suds party. Outstanding!

10/29/2021 6:08 am  #389

That really looks great!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/29/2021 7:39 pm  #390

Thanks all! 

And of course, I discovered a leak under the hall sink (facepalm)  I'm thinking of just putting some silicone around the outside and call it good.  The whole thing's going to be replaced sooner rather than later.  And, I just realized that there's plywood against the wall and the faucet connections come through there.  I REALLY hope there's wall behind it but I doubt it.

I forgot I was going to prime the unfinished half of the laundry room and already started drinking whiskey.  I do hope to get the priming done this weekend.  Then I should be able to apply the color next weekend.

I'm also planning on finishing up the sunroom floor and arranging the furniture, so I'll have the final picture for that room   I should finish my bedroom, too, so I don't have to continue sleeping on the couch.  I will say that I'll miss sleeping with the pups

10/29/2021 10:05 pm  #391

bbro wrote:

And of course, I discovered a leak under the hall sink (facepalm)  I'm thinking of just putting some silicone around the outside and call it good. 

Leak on the drain or the supply side? Silicone sealer will work on the drain but highly unlikely to hold on the supply side

And, I just realized that there's plywood against the wall and the faucet connections come through there.  I REALLY hope there's wall behind it but I doubt it.

Why, the plywood is probably stronger than the walls. I'd guess they took out the wall to make the plumbing connections when adding the hall sink or maybe repairs. If you're real lucky they installed the plywood with screws. If the plywood goes up behind the sink it was likely for a stronger support to hang the sink on.

I forgot I was going to prime the unfinished half of the laundry room and already started drinking whiskey. 

That's no problem, whisky changes you from a painter to an artist, adding the fun of seeing what you've created when you wake up.

I'm also planning on finishing up the sunroom floor and arranging the furniture, so I'll have the final picture for that room  

Final, so you're just going to stop taking pictures in the future. 

You have taken on a big project and doing a hell of a job. Kudos.

10/29/2021 10:05 pm  #392

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

That shower looks big enough to have a suds party. Outstanding!

Finish the sun room off to have a nude beach party.  Number of girls to invite will be limited by the size of that shower.

Nobody is living there yet.  So it is safe.

Last edited by tw (10/29/2021 10:06 pm)

10/30/2021 7:50 am  #393

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

And of course, I discovered a leak under the hall sink (facepalm)  I'm thinking of just putting some silicone around the outside and call it good. 

Leak on the drain or the supply side? Silicone sealer will work on the drain but highly unlikely to hold on the supply side

Luckily, it looks like it is JUST on the connection to the sink drain.

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

And, I just realized that there's plywood against the wall and the faucet connections come through there.  I REALLY hope there's wall behind it but I doubt it.

Why, the plywood is probably stronger than the walls. I'd guess they took out the wall to make the plumbing connections when adding the hall sink or maybe repairs. If you're real lucky they installed the plywood with screws. If the plywood goes up behind the sink it was likely for a stronger support to hang the sink on.

I'm also afraid there was damage back there that the "fixed" in the way they've "fixed" other things.  When I replace the vanity, it's going to be a floor mount model, so I'm kind of just ignoring it for now - lol

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

I forgot I was going to prime the unfinished half of the laundry room and already started drinking whiskey. 

That's no problem, whisky changes you from a painter to an artist, adding the fun of seeing what you've created when you wake up.

if a ladder wasn't needed, I probably would've done that!

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

I'm also planning on finishing up the sunroom floor and arranging the furniture, so I'll have the final picture for that room  

Final, so you're just going to stop taking pictures in the future. 

Ok, ok, the final picture in this iteration, smartass 

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

You have taken on a big project and doing a hell of a job. Kudos.

Thanks.  I didn't actually mean or want to take a project this big on.  I didn't expect to have so much trouble with.....well....everything.  But it's mine now, so trying not to dwell

10/30/2021 8:23 pm  #394

Shit that got done today:

1. Silicone on the sink drain
2. Started the Sunroom floor, realized that I had all the pieces the wrong way, so now, the corner is gonna be the wrong color.
3. Did not finish putting it down, though
4. Had a visit from friends
5. Unloaded most of the boxes for the kitchen, but ran out of shelf paper (again)
6. Finally did the first layer of primer on the other half of the LR

I'm feeling like I have to push myself SO much more than when I wasn't LIVING here

Right now, I need some opinions on lawn mowers.  I have money left over from the movers saving account and since my lawn mower people are done as of Sunday, I figured I'd buy a mower.  I want an electric because I hate all the gas and oil and shit you have to do.  I have a .90 acre lot.  I was thinking of getting a push because it's the electric brand I want, but, it would probably take too long.  There's a reasonable riding lawn mower, but there's a lot of complaints about the battery.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

10/31/2021 7:18 am  #395

We've got the Kobalt self-propelled  40v. It's good enough, I'm not sure what else we'd need. We get about an hour of run time.

10/31/2021 11:37 am  #396

"I'm feeling like I have to push myself SO much more than when I wasn't LIVING here."
You are WORKING there.
Take a few days off and live there.
And buy a lawnmower in the spring.

10/31/2021 12:52 pm  #397

We also have the EGO Power+ and love it, and have a similar sized lawn, as UT, but I had to buy another battery because there are so many obstacles, you spend the first 45 minutes doing all the obstacles before you can move to the open grass in the middle, and the battery is dead by then.  A spare battery by itself costs an arm and a leg and it was cheaper to buy the leafblower that comes with the 5.0 amp hour battery included.

There are so many models in the EGO line.  We got the all plastic 21" non-self propelled select cut mulching mower. It's so much easier to change the height of the EGO than the Toro gas powered I had, and the cut quality is much better, even after a fresh sharpening on the Toro.  The EGO weighs a similar amount as the Toro, but is easier to push.  It's just well built. And quiet.  Comes with headlights too, so you can mow in the dark if you want.

I think EGO is the brand to beat, but they price it accordingly.

10/31/2021 5:42 pm  #398

@griff - Thanks!
@UT - Yea, my yard is twice as big.  That's why I was thinking about a riding mower.  I mean, I can also cut half one week and half the next in a never ending grass cutting cycle 
@DJ - I'm still living.  It's just tasks that I would've gotten done aren't being finished.  Why would I wait until spring?  Am I just gonna will the grass away until then?  
@glatt - Thanks.  I figured I'd buy a string trimmer, too, so I can get an extra battery that way.  I need to look for the mulching feature.  I only have to make sure to bag where the dogs are gonna be (IMHO)

11/01/2021 1:31 pm  #399

If your lawn is pretty big, you should look closely at expected battery capacity. The battery chargers do charge them rapidly, so if you have 2 batteries, you can use the first until it's dead, put it in the charger and stick the spare into the mower, and then by the time you drain the second, your first battery will be charged again to finish the lawn.  Kind of a hassle to be walking back and forth to the house swapping batteries.  Battery life depends more than I expected based on how short you are cutting the grass.  I can mow the whole lawn on the 4 inch tall setting with one battery, but if I drop it down to 3 inches then I have to swap out the battery mid way.  It's probably the extra clippings mass that's being mulched.  Maybe bagging uses less power?

11/01/2021 9:45 pm  #400

Diaphone Jim wrote:

"I'm feeling like I have to push myself SO much more than when I wasn't LIVING here."
You are WORKING there.
Take a few days off and live there.
And buy a lawnmower in the spring.

Buy a lawnmower during Black Friday........?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera