cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2021 12:24 am  #1

Wild Rugged He-man West

Where men were men and sheep were scared...

Yee haw, get along little doggie...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/19/2021 1:29 pm  #2

Re: Wild Rugged He-man West

Doc Holliday wasn't just incidentally a dentist-- he was a highly educated and cosmopolitan dentist by profession, until he had to stop practicing because he had tuberculosis. He moved out West because his doctor told him the dry air would be good for his lungs. He was a pretty good gambler, and in at least one instance he was involved in a gambling dispute where he ended up shooting a dude and killing him. His whole reputation as a "gambler you don't mess with" was based on this one chance incident.

eta: I dodn't know about the "barbed wire phone lines" ..big if true. I'd think maybe they were telegraph lines though?

--nope, just Googled and apparently a real thing

Last edited by Flint (11/19/2021 1:33 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/20/2021 2:13 am  #3

Yeah, I had read about the barbed wire phone lines before but I thought it would be WW I era. They must have been running some high voltage through those wires.
I was working at a power plant in Boardman OR. and had to disconnect the power and phone wires from the 3 trailers to ship them home. I told the plant super I would pull the phone lines but I wanted an electrician to pull the 220 V lines.
Everything entered a foot square door near the top of the 12 ft high trailer.
So I borrowed a ladder to yank the phone lines and discovered the phone lines were 110 Volts DC. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/20/2021 10:34 pm  #4

From a FOAF, guy had a dog that was precient.  This dog could predict when the phone was going to ring, before the phone would ring.  Not always, but often enough to be more than a coincidence.  It happened mostly during bad weather, rain, etc.  Turns out this guy kept his dog on a lead at all times in the yard and the lead was clipped to an overhead line so the dog could travel along the side of the house.

Well, the mystery was solved when they realized that the ring signal on regular landlines is 48 volts.  That's why your landline will still work during a power outage, it's separately powered.  The dog was getting the "signal" before the phone would ring through the lead and his collar! Answer the damn phooooonnnnnE!!!!!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera