cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2021 8:01 am  #1

R1tt2nhouse V8rdict

I think the jury got it right. I hate that we are a third world country where people think open carry of an AR in town is reasonable, but it is legal, dumb but legal. It's not reasonable and obviously has the potential to escalate. I shed zero tears for the other armed idiot. Where does it go from here? It looks like Portland is the only place upset with the verdict. Maybe flint can talk to the scale in Portland. Is it the same group of assholes who always show up for this stuff? The next chip to fall will be the Arbury case which looks a lot more like violent white supremacy.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/20/2021 8:56 am  #2

Re: R1tt2nhouse V8rdict

I think like everything, there's nuance. At least one of his victims actively went after him, including stalking him for a further confrontation after the first one had already subsided. The one he shot in the arm seems to have been much less clear, and probably more a case of an itchy trigger finger on a medic who wasn't doing anything to him. On the other hand, it's absolutely crazy that he was illegally (age 17) in possession of a gun that was itself illegally purchased, and those lesser charges were dismissed by the judge on a questionably-interpreted technicality. Those are things he should have been found guilty of, without question.

11/20/2021 10:22 am  #3

All one need do is claim fear.  Laws in some stated say that alone is sufficient to kill someone.  Prosecutors must then prove he was not fearful.

A properly written law says one must prove he was fearful.  Then (suddenly) one who has a gun must be responsible.

11/20/2021 1:10 pm  #4

Undertoad wrote:

The guy Rittenhouse shot in the arm was pointing a pistol at him. (An illegal pistol - the guy's carry permit had run out.)

The prosecution claimed a different order of events:

The prosecutor showed Grosskreutz's shooting frame-by-frame which shows him appear to retreat before Rittenhouse is seen aiming his gun at him from two to three feet away. Once Grosskreutz was shot, the bullet severing his bicep, his arm lowered in an involuntary action, the prosecutor said. "At this point, yeah, absolutely. That right arm is probably dangling down towards the defendant," Binger said. "It's not going to be able to pull that trigger without a working bicep muscle, and it's not a voluntary thing. It's done because the defendant just blew his arm off."

I don't know, I wasn't there. Anyone with an illegal weapon should absolutely be charged with such.

11/20/2021 1:46 pm  #5

They should take into consideration he had an expired permit and assuming he failed to renew (not denied renewal) vs had never been checked out as a viable candidate to carry. 
Same as a drivers licence, if it expires it's illegal to drive but not as much concern as someone who never had a licence.
The difference would mean a slap on the wrist (or bullet in the bicep) vs public beheading.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/20/2021 3:18 pm  #6

One carries an AR: to attack.  It was never good for defense.  Only is effective, as a defensive weapon, when an attacker is more than 13 feet away.  It is a defensive weapon on the battlefield.  That obviously is not defensive on city streets.

One carries a pistol to be a defensive weapon when an attacker is only five feet away.  Why do cops constantly watch about?  Because a threat, less than five feet, can compromise the defensive abilities of his weapon.

He carried an AR because his mindset was 'attack'. Difficult for extremists to comprehend - even though it is taught in weapons training.  But he need not disprove that.  We now have laws that say anyone with an attacker's mindset need only claim he was defending himself. Need not provide any proof.  Instead, we want prosecutors to prove he feared.

Responsibility: when one carries a gun in public, means he must be so responsible as to never use that weapon - unless he can prove later that it was necessary.  Cops are required to meet that criteria.  Adults, who are still children, need not prove they were threatened.  Making it legal to murder anyone such as Trayvon Martin.

Assault weapons are carried on city streets to attack others.  They are not and never were defensive weapons.  Cops only carry such weapons when attacking.  An emotional child need not meet a criteria of responsibility.

11/26/2021 1:04 pm  #7

All the players in the trial were such damned assholes (both attorneys, Rittenhouse and the judge) that I could not watch it.
Did the second victim (sorry, Judge) know about the first?  The third one about one or both of the others?
The underage out-of-state wannabe cop with his illegal attack weapon and its 30 round magazine (more in his pack?) just doesn't meet the self defense rules for me.
Donny T likes him enough to invite him over.

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (11/26/2021 1:07 pm)

11/26/2021 10:25 pm  #8

An AR which isn't an AR(Automatic Rifle) is a fine defensive weapon if you're pointing at the attacker.
However, it's probably most valuable feature is its intimidation power, especially to people who no nothing about guns. They've seen the shape in movies and on the news enough to know it's bad juju.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/28/2021 12:35 pm  #9

Running down the street, especially not your own, with one is simply not defensive.
He came to town intending to shoot.
He murdered two men, maimed a third and got away with it.

11/29/2021 4:07 pm  #10

I don't live in Portland. I live hours away, in the county outside a small rural town.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/30/2021 7:13 am  #11

Sorry, I thought you were nearby.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera