cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2021 10:52 pm  #1

Inflation

I was not surprised after the price of used cars skyrocketed for the lack of new cars, and the new cars that did appear got big jumps added to list price, car dealers have always worked with supply and demand. Then motor fuel started a trajectory as did food and everything else. Yeah, some was trying to recover from a hard blow the pandemic delt them.
But I suspected much of the increases were businesses thinking everything is going up, people are talking about it, and expecting it. So now's a chance to grab a piece of the pie with ready made excuses. People won't even ask why they have already blamed the government or the Chinese,or labor shortages.
Seems I wasn't far off...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/05/2021 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Inflation

Never forget the economic calamities created by tax cuts.  We will not see (suffer) damage created by Trump's tax cuts to the rich.  That trend was cited repeatedly even in the older Cellars.

What dd the George Jr tax cuts do.  It also was predicted back then in early 2000s.  Economic clamity happened many years later - as it usually does.

Unfortunately, all that 'they cannot raise prices' reasoning is based in open loop thinking.  Economies are closed loop systems.  Open loop trends cannot explain the bigger picture.  Such as why tax cuts create economic problems five or eight years later.

Last edited by tw (12/05/2021 12:28 pm)

12/05/2021 6:57 pm  #3

The government handing out money saved a lot of butts, but they gave out more than they should have. Some big healthy organizations and companies got big bucks they had to return when it became public. Every time I heard about one of those I wondered how many slipped under the radar.
They direct deposited money to me, twice, that I didn't need. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Of course if the covid response had been right from the beginning not as many butts would need saving, but that's another kettle of fish. 

12/06/2021 1:04 pm  #4

Greed, aka the love of money, plays the key role in rising prices.
The inexorable growth of monopolies is turning it into the only one.

12/06/2021 8:30 pm  #5

Monopolies is one problem, another is private equity groups. They are all about profit, there's no pride in product or the company's history or name.
I got heating oil today and have kept track of the price from January 2013 on up.

I'm sure there was an explanation for each of the trends up and down when they happened.
But I wonder how much was grab it when you can, for as long as you can?

At least none of the $150,000,000 in cryptocurrency snatched away over the weekend was mine..

Board footera