cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2021 8:28 am  #426

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Tell the pups not to drool on the chairs.  

No worries - the covers are washable.

yebbut do they know how to do laundry?

Not yet......

11/14/2021 10:21 am  #427

my cat either.... maybe there's a market for paw-operable washing machines...

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/14/2021 10:24 pm  #428

Hook the machine to a treadmill and the pups can take turns.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/17/2021 3:25 pm  #429

Adventures in trying to get the fucking ductwork updated and attic insulation added to. 

Company 1 - thought they were pretty good.  Got a hefty estimate, but they have 0% financing for 1 yr, so I figured I'd go for it.  I got the financing approval and the finance person said the PM would be contacting me to set things up.  A week later, no contact from the PM.  I email the finance person and she copies the PM on it.  I finally get a response.  She just throws a bunch of dates at me.  I can't do half of them, so I send my response back and you guessed it, nothing.  I sent a follow up on Sunday because I didn't want randos showing up at my place without confirmation.  Set up for another technician to come out to evaluate the ducts (already done because how the fuck else would I get the estimate???), but it's free, so fuck it.  Just get it done.  He said the PM would contact to schedule the work.  Guess what.  TWO weeks pass with nothing.  At this point, I've contacted another company because fuck them.  I get an email from company 1 at 4pm on a Monday asking to start work THE NEXT DAY.  What the ever loving fuck.  I'm so annoyed, so I just ignore the email.  I get a phone call in the morning.  I email the PM and let her know that since I didn't hear anything for two weeks, I assumed the job wasn't going forward and contacted another company.  Her response "Thanks for letting me know. Best of luck!"  Fuck you lady. And another email from the owner.  I respond and tell him about the shit communication and I'd let him know by the end of the week since I want to give the other company some time.  He "understands" (spoiler, he doesn't).  

Company 2:
I actually really liked them.  They have a separate contractor for the attic insulation that gave me a estimate 600 less than company 1.  The duct technician came out and basically said I needed the same work as company 2, so that makes me happy.  He was awesome.  He helped me set up the thermometer to work correctly and kick on the gas instead of electric based on the outside temp.  He said that they would get back to me with an estimate for the duct work.  And nothing.  

So, I contact company 1 again and ask about time lines and if I can get another PM.  Well, he said that they had the parts for the duct work, but since I "threw some doubt into the project" they used it for someone else.  You know, I can understand using the duct work for someone else, but to put the blame on me??  Fuck you.  Then, he says that he doesn't know who I mean when I say PM.  That if I'm talking about xx, she's awesome.  And that she is the only insulation coordinator they have.  So, then who the FUCK did you think I was referring to with all my complaints???  She's the one referring to herself as a Project Manager in her email signature (that includes a weird fucking senior picture in there), so maybe y'all need to get on the same page.  So, thanks for saying you understand, but didn't actually fucking read the email.  I told him nevermind because I had no interest in working with someone who has already ignored me.

At this point, I still need the fucking work done, so I email company 2 and ask about the quote.  She didn't know that I hadn't gotten anything yet and would get with the person and get back to me.  That was on the 12th.

Enter company 3 and company 4.  At this point, I just want the duct work done.  Fuck the attic, I can do that later, but I'm literally heating the crawl space right now, so it has to get done.

Company 3 is scheduled to come today.  I already got a call that they're running late because they had to get a part for an earlier job.  No problem, shit happens.  He's on his way now (thank you text messaging!)

Company 4 is scheduled to come on Monday.

The saga continues.....

In the mean time, I'm doing little things that make me happy.  Like unpacking all the books I own
Before

After - I thought I was gonna run out of room.  As it stands, I do need more space.  I'm trying to think of ways to add shelving or something ABOVE the bookshelves.  Have kind of a floor to ceiling thing going

I also hung some animal coat hooks that I bought.  I originally was going to use them to hang spare toilet paper rolls in the guest bath, but they didn't fit right.  I was struggling to find a good place for them.  Then, I was cleaning up the kitchen clutter and was looking for somewhere to hang my pot holders.  I figured they might work for that!  AND THEY DO!!
The hooks:

Being used

11/17/2021 3:49 pm  #430

Excellent, potholders and aprons. I've been dealing with contractors the last couple years. The bastards refuse to say no, instead of saying we are too busy, or the job doesn't look like it's right for us, they lie through their fucking teeth. Sure, we'll be there next week, we'll be there Thursday, we'll be there tomorrow... no show, no call, no nothing.

11/17/2021 4:20 pm  #431

Luckily, they've all shown up when they were scheduled.  It's just after that.  Like, I'll follow up twice.  After that, I'm done.  I'm not going to beg to spend thousands of dollars.  

11/21/2021 7:42 pm  #432

Whelp, I contacted the plumber about looking at my dishwasher.  I just don't feel comfortable taking it apart myself.  Hopefully he can help.  If not, I'll give it a shot, I guess.

In other news, I bought a leaf blower!  It's so much fun!  I bought it so I don't have to manually clean my gutters, but the attachment didn't come yet.  I've been using it just on the leaves.  Next year, I'll have to start much sooner to keep it in line.  There are SO MANY LEAVES!!  I'm really only worrying about the back yard, but I should give the front yard a go.  I went with an EGO.  Whether or not I get their mower, I'm probably going to get the other lawn care items.  SO MUCH FUN!!

11/21/2021 10:43 pm  #433

All those books you got neatly shelved, best throw them away right now. You're a homeowner and puppy keeper now, you won't have time for books anymore. Having them around torturing you sucks. 

11/21/2021 11:49 pm  #434

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

All those books you got neatly shelved, best throw them away right now. You're a homeowner and puppy keeper now, you won't have time for books anymore. Having them around torturing you sucks. 

Such negativity.  I have many opportunities to read.  Even with the normal house maintenance and pups.  They actually love it when I read because they can lay on me when I do

11/22/2021 1:39 pm  #435

Yeah, laying on the sofa with you is doggy heaven at it's best... unless you have food in your hand and that may be a notch higher. 

11/22/2021 5:43 pm  #436

bbro wrote:

Whelp, I contacted the plumber about looking at my dishwasher.  I just don't feel comfortable taking it apart myself.  Hopefully he can help.  If not, I'll give it a shot, I guess.

In other news, I bought a leaf blower!  It's so much fun!  I bought it so I don't have to manually clean my gutters, but the attachment didn't come yet.  I've been using it just on the leaves.  Next year, I'll have to start much sooner to keep it in line.  There are SO MANY LEAVES!!  I'm really only worrying about the back yard, but I should give the front yard a go.  I went with an EGO.  Whether or not I get their mower, I'm probably going to get the other lawn care items.  SO MUCH FUN!!

Have you opened all the doors to your car and cleaned the interior with the leaf blower yet?  It's so much fun.

11/22/2021 11:21 pm  #437

Blow leaves and watch dogs chase them.  Entertainment that can be performed from a beach chair.

11/23/2021 2:55 pm  #438

@glatt - noo!  I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!!  I'll do that soon - lol

11/26/2021 9:22 pm  #439

Apparently a lot of people jumped on the buy without doing the investigating bbro did.

12/02/2021 7:00 pm  #440

@Bruce - Honestly?  If I didn't have to put down such a large amount of money that I'd lose if I decided not to buy, I probably wouldn't have after the inspection.  I didn't want to lose all that money.  

Conclusion of the duct drama:
Company 3 came and gave an estimate.  They also have a maintenance plan that costs 120 a year that includes discounts on work being done and the visit twice a year to check out the system.  He told me that the air compressor for the AC was looking really old and it would need to be monitored.  If I signed up for it, it also meant a $600 discount on this work.  I got the email estimate and waited for Company 4

Company 4 called and needed to reschedule.  It wasn't going to be until this week.  They had people who were without heat that took priority.  I totally understood and agreed, but I didn't want to wait any longer than I had to.  I had a reasonable estimate from Company 3 and decided to just go with them.  I told Company 4 all that.
I accepted the estimate from Company 3 last Monday.  Even in the short week, Company 3 emailed me to give me an update on the job!  Crazy, I know!!  I got another email Tuesday saying that the parts came in and wanted to scheduled for Thursday (today).  It would take probably today and part of tomorrow.  I said that was fine and got me some wood for the fireplace.

The techs showed up around 9am and got to work.  The lead seemed to think it would take one day.  I was disappointed, but I still lit a fire in 70 degree weather.  Well, 5:30 rolls around and I get a knock on the door - they finished everything!  AND they saw that the ducts to the freezing sunroom WEREN'T FUCKING CONNECTED!!  So, basically, I was heating the crawlspace and that air was coming in.  Well, they fixed that, too!!  He did a test of the air coming out of the vents and it read over 100!!  I'm so fricking excited

I guess I'll have to stop using the sunroom as a storage area.....

12/04/2021 12:37 am  #441

Yeah, a shame to lose that huge walk in refrigerator. LoL
Sounds like Company 3 has their shit together, at least their field guys do. Whether some other company can do the job 5% better or 5% cheaper is inconsequential, what is top #1 priority is being comfortable with the people you deal with. Not worrying whether they're bullshitting you every time they tell you something is priceless.
A/C systems have ducts and fans, heat exchangers (like radiators), but the biggie is the compressor that compresses the freon plus the motor that drives it. They're the heart of the system, they're expensive, and the parts that wear out.
When you run out of projects I have some you could tackle for practice... think of it as free trade school. 

12/04/2021 8:57 am  #442

@Bruce - LOL - I'm good with NOT learning all that stuff.  Yea, I feel comfortable with Company 3 - the same guy who did the estimate came back to do the work.  Apparently this is his area, so he'd be the one coming to do all the check ups, too.  The compressor was replaced right before the house closed, so that's good.  Then the furnace itself is pretty new.  The only piece they didn't replace was the ac coil.  It worked fine in the fall, but if it's the oldest thing in the system, it's the next to go

I'm going to try and actually be productive today - wish me luck

12/04/2021 9:40 pm  #443

Don't worry about the coil it has no moving parts.
Productive? How bourgeoisie. Anyone can be productive but that won't keep you young a vital. Amuse the pups, champagne brunch, dance in the sunroom in your pajamas.

Then work your ass off till after midnight trying to get back on schedule. 

You've been right out straight for months you deserve a break, you and the pups away from there.
But I know how hard it is to get the momentum rolling again.

Don't forget,doing something is fun if you want to do it, not so much if you feel you have to do it.
Anyway you're on top of it now, go get 'em.

12/05/2021 7:21 pm  #444

There's no vacation time for me and the pups.  I don't really like traveling with them.  I'm off work starting on the 22nd, so I'll have plenty of down time

Today, my friend came over to help me put up a new mailbox post.  It's official now!!  He also just bought a finish nailer so I might have to put him to work on the trim in the laundry room.

I also recently rearranged the couch.  Now, I have 3 arms I don't know what to do with and nowhere convenient to put them - lol

12/05/2021 7:34 pm  #445

Rearranged the couch ?

12/17/2021 8:45 pm  #446

@Bruce - trying to figure out a good configuration.  Seriously considering putting some of it in the library because I need a seat and it's comfy!!

My current project is trying to get some fucking design and estimates for not just the kitchen, but also the back yard.  No one is willing to do it even though I'm willing to pay.  At this point, I think I've contacted 10 alone for the kitchen.  I'm making sure to contact companies that do kitchens and bathrooms because I want to do both bathrooms eventually, too.  If I like them, I can just use the same company!

Only one landscape company got back to me initially and accepted, but I haven't heard from them again.  I'll probably follow up after the new year since it's the holiday season.  I'm also starting to find some projects and things to build out of wood.  I'm debating putting it in this thread or starting a new one.  I'm not at the level of HappyMonkey, so I don't want to drag down his thread - lol

12/19/2021 2:53 am  #447

Either way, add it here or start a woodworking thread. We'd be interested in what you're doing and some might be able to offer tips or answer any questions you have. Golly, you young folks have so much get-up-and-go, that's great to keep the momentum going. 

12/19/2021 7:33 pm  #448

Get up and go - lol.  If I had that, my laundry room would be done

12/23/2021 10:41 pm  #449

The sky in my backyard.  I lightened the photo slightly to make the trees more visible (even though I could see them on my phone)

Last edited by bbro (12/23/2021 10:42 pm)

12/23/2021 11:00 pm  #450

Brrrr, dark and cold...

Board footera