cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2021 7:13 pm  #1

Living Off the Grid

The headline reads...   I Lived Off the Grid—And I’m Still Broke

When I went off the grid, it felt like the right move spiritually, environmentally, and financially. Moving to a cabin in the woods with my partner seemed like a clever way to get cheap rent in notoriously unaffordable southern British Columbia, while learning to fend for ourselves in a chaotic world.
But after a couple months of cold mornings dumping buckets of composting shit, I’m as broke as ever.

Reading this article I got the impression this guy and his partner didn't have a clue what it takes to be self sufficient.
As a matter of conjecture I'd guess they were city kids who never even went camping. 

Going off-grid is looking like an increasingly viable option for young adults as cities become harder to afford. VICE World News reported in October that Vancouver, B.C., North America’s most unaffordable city with an average house price of $1.2 million, will face a widening chasm between the rich and poor as climate change threatens to wash out low-lying houses. Weeks later, dramatic floods and heavy rain cut Vancouver off from the rest of Canada, sank portions of major highways, and put whole towns underwater in B.C.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vvda/living-off-the-grid-is-not-cheap?utm_source=digg

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/21/2021 7:23 pm  #2

Re: Living Off the Grid

Ya living off the grid is the best way now believe me

12/23/2021 11:10 pm  #3

Re: Living Off the Grid

If you do it right. Learn in avance what's required for hardware and skills before you start, not after you're in trouble. It takes planning and preparation to be successful. You might find that a semi off the grid is a smarter move in your situation. Like make your own electricity while using public water and/or sewer.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera