cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2021 11:18 pm  #451

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

Thanks Bruce!!

12/24/2021 11:36 pm  #452

I've been listening to a neighbor's bass for a few hours now.  Awesome.  I really thought I was getting away from that when I left the apartment.  Nope.  It's 11:30 pm here and it's going strong

12/25/2021 12:37 am  #453

11:30 but a special night, no school tomorrow.
I'm leaving a note in my mailbox asking why I didn't get any mail Saturday, she's cool, can take a joke.

Oh, it's Christmas, has been for 38 minutes, don't feel any different. Have a good one..

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (12/25/2021 12:39 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/25/2021 1:13 pm  #454

It went until around 3am.  And has started back up again.  According to the neighbor, I have gun shots to look forward to on New Year's Eve

12/25/2021 11:06 pm  #455

Well, the good news is that the music stopped at some point during my afternoon nap.  It wasn't the normal people the neighbor was talking about.

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy some wood for a couple projects and I REALLY want to be productive next week.  Maybe even finish the laundry room?

12/28/2021 10:01 pm  #456

Don't forget to take a break and give us an update. 

12/30/2021 5:29 pm  #457

I WILL be finishing the laundry room this week (likely tomorrow), but here's a teaser of the wall color.  I finally forced myself to pick a color.  I hope it's accurate, the phone is messing with the white balance, so I had to manually adjust

12/30/2021 7:23 pm  #458

Pretty colour.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/30/2021 8:24 pm  #459

bbro wrote:

I hope it's accurate,

We'd have never known...

And if we did, we wouldn't have said nothing.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/31/2021 1:10 am  #460

That's a chill color for the laundry room. Well done.

12/31/2021 8:13 pm  #461

@fargon - thanks!
@Never - yea, but I wanted you to see the accurate color or I'd be constantly sayin that it wasn't the real color
@Bruce - thanks!

Mostly finished.   I still need to figure out how to hang a bar for hangers.  Seems like all the studs behind the machines have electric along them.  I'm going to ask a friend for help.  He's taller, so I'm hoping he can find an open space.  I also want to make some curtains for the door into the sunroom.

New coat hanger

Organized shelves

There's still some refining I can do, like covering the nail heads and painting the molding.  Plus some touching up along the edges (MAN I suck at taping).  But, I'm happy it's mostly done.

1/01/2022 7:40 am  #462

Nice!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/01/2022 4:33 pm  #463

What's the round dowel/rod/pipe on the floor, flattening the rug from being rolled up?

1/01/2022 4:44 pm  #464

Thanks griff

@Bruce - it's the rod I want to put up for the hangers.  It was just there at the time.

1/01/2022 5:14 pm  #465

Oh, OK, don't trip on it. 

1/13/2022 2:47 pm  #466

@Bruce - It was moved shortly after the picture

I had someone in to look at the kitchen to do a design and estimate for the remodel.  It won't happen for a bit, but I thin we made some good progress and I have a better idea forming in my head about what I want.  I do need to figure out stove and refrigerator (most important appliances).  And also what I want as a back splash.  I think I need to find a hood myself, too.  I would prefer a stand alone fridge and freezer, but those aren't that easy to find.  Not a lot of options from what I've seen

Kind of fun thinking about it

1/14/2022 7:20 pm  #467

You have time because you don't need appliances, you want to upgrade appliances, if I've got that right.
In a year the supply chain may loosen up a little which gives you a better selection and they may be willing to negotiate price.
Like you say thinking about it is fun. Everytime you think about it you may come up with slightly different layouts/designs but the features that keep cropping up will be the keepers.

1/15/2022 2:42 pm  #468

@Bruce - I don't need appliances *yet*.  The fridge has been acting wonky, the dishwasher leaks on 2 out of 4 cycles, and the stove is a piece of crap.   I'm likely going to live with the stove until the remodel because I want a 36in stove and what I have now is a 24in drop in.

Accomplishments today:
* Hanging a shelf in the gym that used to be in the sunroom.  I spray painted it black.

* Hanging shelf supports in they gym that were there previously.  I spray painted them red
* Spray paint some wood to put in the shelf supports
* Hang dry erase board

* Replacing the high tech gym door lock of a screw in a hole in the concrete with a spring loaded latch pin and one in the top of the door. 

Up next:
* Install the last security camera
* Cut molding in the closet in the office so I can double the width of the shelf in there.
* Organize the office

*Added pics

Last edited by bbro (1/15/2022 4:24 pm)

1/17/2022 12:11 am  #469

Very good, all those things may seem minor on your list but they all take time and add up to a lot done. 

1/17/2022 3:39 pm  #470

Definitely not minor because some of it means that I can organize other things and get more items squared away

I met with the landscaping company today to go over the design he came up with.  It's awesome.  So much color and not all flowers.  The theme was "no maintenance and pretty"  LOL!  I love the old guy who owns it.  We went on a utility vehicle flying around the property so I could see all the plants.  There were only a few that didn't have leaves on them, so I won't have many bare spots.  And he wants to put trees around the fence line for privacy.  I love it.  I wish I could have the design so I could look over it more, but they don't give them out - I guess there's concern with people getting the design and taking it somewhere else.  Not something I'd do, but I get it.  He's working on a pricing list for me.  He's willing to take a payment and then I can pay him the balance on a monthly basis.  It would be awesome to get it all done at once, but I just have to see the numbers first.

1/17/2022 10:04 pm  #471

No maintenance isn't necessary, that's what the gardener and grounds crew is for.  

1/20/2022 10:04 pm  #472

bbro wrote:

BigV wrote:

Flint wrote:

My toilet goes squeeeeeeeee after I flush it, but I've pretty much tuned out the noise..

Your toilet may be calling out to mine, and vice versa.

Tired of fucking with the toilet, other big, important home tasks to accomplish.

But I have found out how to shush it. I go into the bathroom, and turn on the tap in the sink, then very quickly turn the water off. The little bit of pipe hammer that produces nudges the shrieking valve into place, water stops, shrieking stops.

This was happening in both my toilets within a month of the sale closing.  I ended up replacing all the guts in both.  A friend did one so I could kind of see it (but I was working on something else at the time).  I did the other by myself.  It really wasn't hard.  I was iffy on replacing everything, but my friend showed me how some of the gaskets were starting to deteriorate.  The sell all in one kits with all the tools and parts needed.

@BigV - feel free to bust into my thread if you want - I can share

Ok, here we go!

This part's all work, no adventure.

These bricks right here:

gotta get put in here (say Hi to SonofV)

It's a lot of fucking bricks.

As I said earlier, elsewheres, ... it turns out four layers of bricks is about the functional limit of what's a good idea in my little truck.  Here's the pressure report:

D shaped is not a good look... so we stopped there.

When we carried/ferried them to their new home, I started this pile:

whoops... this pile:

I see now that it doesn't look like much.. It's still a lot of picking up and putting down.

Eventually, a week later, several trips/loads later, the stack looks like this:

and turn...

I have two or more trips of *JUST BRICKS* to go for just bricks.

I'll expand on what else needs to happen in this Adventure in Home Ownershop (xM) in future posts. 

side note, thanks for sharing bbro, you're very kind!

Be Just And Fear Not

1/21/2022 5:54 pm  #473

Anytime BigV!

I love those trees!  I could put a hammock under there with no problems.  That's a lot of bricks!  It'll look cool when you get them all laid, though: all those different colors

1/22/2022 8:51 pm  #474

I'll bet a biography or bio-pic on the white brick would be fun...
White brick living in a red world, rever allowed to join in any red brick games...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/22/2022 8:52 pm)

3/15/2022 7:50 pm  #475

I've finally got my office set up in a way I like (for now).  I think I'm going to paint the room green.  I just have to find the right shade.  I also want to replace the closet doors with a sliding barn door.  Then, I can have it slide behind the room door and not have to move the chair every time I need something in the closet.

Also, the chair is part of my couch
View from the door.  The sleeping bag is for the dogs.  I need something else for there eventually

View from my desk.  I need a new frame for the Geiger print.  Then decide where to hang it

Board footera