cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2021 10:46 pm  #1

Spoonerific Sobriquets

If you (roughly) transpose the first sounds of your first and last names, what kind of product or business would your new name be?  I ask because I I'm pretty sure my spoonerized name is already trademarked as a med for an STD.

Example:  Susan Brag could become Brusan Sag -which might be a skin rejuvenation product or a home for defeated boxers

You don't need to tell us your name to participate, although I will share that my real name is Dr. Dotty Spickure

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/30/2021 9:56 am  #2

Re: Spoonerific Sobriquets

Mine's definitely a psychiatric medication. But a sort of ointment?

Living life on the edge.

12/01/2021 7:23 am  #3

Adventure tourist destination.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/04/2021 9:50 am  #4

Nothing of any note comes from transposing the first part of my first and last names, but I did know a Yorkshireman who was a chronic Spooner sufferer.

He wore a cat flap on his head.

Last edited by Carruthers (12/04/2021 9:53 am)

12/04/2021 10:09 am  #5

Carruthers wrote:

Nothing of any note comes from transposing the first part of my first and last names, but I did know a Yorkshireman who was a chronic Spooner sufferer.

Chapeau!

Living life on the edge.

12/04/2021 10:57 pm  #6

Spooner? Cat Flap?? 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/05/2021 5:24 am  #7

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Spooner? Cat Flap?? 

Spoonerism...

A verbal error in which a speaker accidentally transposes the initial sounds or letters of two or more words, often to humorous effect, as in the sentence you have hissed the mystery lectures

Named after Reverend William Spooner who was prone to the above.

Yorkshiremen are gritty no nonsense types whose headgear of choice is the 'flat cap' which, in more traditional circles, is believed to be spot welded on shortly after birth.

Anyway, please forgive typos and other errors. I was never any good at welling spurds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Archibald_Spooner

Last edited by Carruthers (12/05/2021 6:58 am)

12/05/2021 8:41 am  #8

Limey wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

Chapeau!

My parents called them titfers, and it was only in my adult years I learned this was from cockney rhyming slang father than being a type of hat perhaps similar to a tam o'shanter

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/30/2021 9:40 am  #9

A sort of dilapidated tea house.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/31/2021 1:25 am  #10

Carruthers wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Spooner? Cat Flap?? 

Spoonerism...

A verbal error in which a speaker accidentally transposes the initial sounds or letters of two or more words, often to humorous effect, as in the sentence you have hissed the mystery lectures

Named after Reverend William Spooner who was prone to the above.

Yorkshiremen are gritty no nonsense types whose headgear of choice is the 'flat cap' which, in more traditional circles, is believed to be spot welded on shortly after birth.

Anyway, please forgive typos and other errors. I was never any good at welling spurds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Archibald_Spooner 

Thank you Sir, for the extensive explanation making it clear it's British regional thing to wear a cat flap. 
I hope your new year is doggy and pleasant.

12/31/2021 11:11 am  #11

Thanks Bruce. A happy New Year to you as well!

My four footed friend spent Wednesday with us (owners are at home this week) and normal routine will return Tuesday next.

And yes, I bought the hound a Christmas present.

1/01/2022 3:57 pm  #12

Absolutely, if you can buy a present for your best friend who can you buy for. 

Board footera