cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2022 6:23 pm  #1

Engines

Chrysler had the Hemi in development since the middle of the war so there was no need to copy the Caddy.
I suspect it was a deliberate poke at Caddy by taking a virtually identical motor and adding their  design for heads and valvetrain.
That way comparing horsepower there would be no wiggle room for any other explanation other than the top end.
And it was a great design for making power at high rpm/speed. But the last true Hemi engine in Chryslers lineup was the PT Cruiser GT with 220 hp from less than 150ci. The other production cars were all changed back to a wedge head. 
The secret of the hemispherical design was having the intake and exhaust valves opposite each other and by keeping the exhaust valve open a little longer it created a cross draft pulling a little more fuel into the combustion chamber each time. More fuel, more power, but that meant some raw fuel was being drawn into the exhaust. That's a big nono for pollution.
But now they have sullied the name of the great Hemi engines by making it a marketing label. 

Next up a Hemi inline 6 engine.

Oh the humanity.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/09/2022 12:03 am  #2

Re: Engines

Engines... hmm Fire Engines count...

Private Equity, AKA, free enterprise, killing businesses, towns, and jobs...
good thing it's gonna trickle down.

2/13/2022 2:28 am  #3

This site has animations of how 21 different engines work, Newcomen Atmospheric, Ross Yoke Stirling, etc...

http://animatedengines.com/

2/13/2022 11:58 am  #4

Very cool, but it looks like they got tired of animating the spark plug timing after the first one.

2/20/2022 12:37 am  #5

HM, The plug timing is when the combustion chamber turns orange and shows for the first five at that site, then doesn't for the Gnome rotary. After that I don't think any of them use a spark.

Sometimes they done broke...

I hadn't heard of this project, shame it was killed. I suppose the engine was GM property so nobody got to go have fun with it  .
Also in 1969 they used mechanical injection which usually was run rich to protect the engine.
At high stress a lean engine can self destruct very quickly, but running rich is bad for economy and pollution.
Unlike tw's fairy tales about old and proven technology fuel injection wasn't practical until they had the computers to monitor and control it for ever changing conditions.

2/20/2022 8:46 am  #6

One of the best stock engines I've had experience with was a 307 Olds motor.  It was in an 82 Buck Electra Limited.  Big car, it liked 20 inches being 20 feet long.  That car was surprisingly peppy.  It'd do 500 miles on a 25 gallon tank, too.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (2/20/2022 8:51 am)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/20/2022 12:41 pm  #7

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

HM, The plug timing is when the combustion chamber turns orange and shows for the first five at that site, then doesn't for the Gnome rotary. After that I don't think any of them use a spark.

I meant the timing mechanism; it was sorta cool to see the cam triggering the spark plug in the first one.

2/21/2022 10:21 pm  #8

Ah OK, (slaps forehead) I'm a little slow on the uptake. Yes, there the spark timing on a 4 stroke that can be complex and has to work with the timing of the valve which is much more complicated than these simple illustrations. Of course cars don't have distributors any more they're all electronic boxes that work with a bunch of inputs to determine the ever changing spark timing according to engine, intake air, the cats, and ambient temperatures. Plus rpm, load, gear, not to mention the phase of the moon and weight of the jockey.

Board footera