cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2021 10:11 am  #1

Camping

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/24/2021 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Camping

those are all good tips

4/26/2021 10:13 pm  #3

yes they are 

and the cotton tip (hahaha qtips  hahahhaa) should be repeated

cotton kills out in the wilderness.  just. don't.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/27/2021 11:33 am  #4

Done a lot of hiking and camping, never attacked by cotton, hate wool and vinyl  hankys, clue me.

4/27/2021 12:26 pm  #5

Vinyl hanky???

...the fuq?

Last edited by Gravdigr (4/27/2021 12:28 pm)

4/27/2021 1:00 pm  #6

I've been on the verge of hypothermia twice, and both times I was wearing primarily cotton in the summer or fall.  Things can turn fast and cotton can kill you if you don't do something about it quickly when you realize what is happening.

4/27/2021 4:00 pm  #7

Yep. Cotton kills. It hangs on to your sweat or any precipitation. All it takes is a temperature drop and you are an ice cube.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/27/2021 6:27 pm  #8

Too bad you hate wool, you are missing out on the best all around fiber for outdoor wear.  There have been advances in material science and there might be a wool blend you can tolerate/love.  Worth checking out.

As for cotton, hanky, sure, go crazy.  I always wear a cotton bandana, no problem there.  Cotton underwear, ... it's O K, but not optimal.  It's fine.  But jeans?  Nope.  Not levis, not carhartts, not wranglers, no no no.  Out in the yard?  if you're in the field and you have a way home, sure. I love my cotton clothes, but not camping.  I don't even use cotton for my PJs anymore, polypropylene all the way baby. It's wick-ed.  hahahah I crack me up.  Works as a base layer just as well for the same reasons.  If we're car camping and we're parking right next to the yurt, fine.  Have a t-shirt.  But backpacking, or if you're spending the night in a tent?  No cotton clothes.

What they ^^^^ said about it getting wet, from the inside and/or the outside is true, and cotton stays wet.  Fine if you're out in the blazing sun and you need it to wick away your body heat, but that's a gamble when you're truly in the wilderness.  I've been caught in a wet then cold surprise and cotton would have spelled trouble.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/30/2021 2:18 pm  #9

I try to stay away from bodies of water cause I get eaten the fuck up.  But, I car camp, so I have a choice.  If you are camping in an actual camp ground, check the rules for wood gathering.  Some of them don't allow it (although the camp hosts do fuck all when it happens).  Also, only freeze the food for the next day.  If you're planning on cooking lunch/dinner that same day, the food won't unfreeze in time to be cooked.  I have a knock off Yeti that I use that keeps food cool for the whole weekend with little ice/ice packs.  I try to keep it in the shadows/out of the sun.  Also, some places tell you to keep your cooler in your car because of bears.

4/30/2021 6:45 pm  #10

I well know the advantage of wool in cold conditions,
I just prefer cotton for my shorts and handkerchiefs over wool or vinyl or rubber or wax paper ones.
I didn't know it at the time, but I'm glad they didn't issue wool jungle fatigues.  

4/30/2021 6:50 pm  #11

As for coolers in cars, it's up to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefGEFddMR4

5/01/2021 8:49 am  #12

As for coolers in cars, if you're going to a park that requires it, it's no longer up to you.  By booking a camp site, you're agreeing to their rules and regulations.

5/01/2021 1:10 pm  #13

Gravdigr wrote:

Vinyl hanky???

...the fuq?

5/01/2021 7:50 pm  #14

Gravdigr wrote:

Gravdigr wrote:

Vinyl hanky???

...the fuq?

I noticed that.  Thanks.

12/04/2021 1:10 am  #15

bbro wrote:

I try to stay away from bodies of water cause I get eaten the fuck up.

Like here?

12/09/2021 10:39 pm  #16

Need a gator proof camper...

12/09/2021 10:42 pm  #17

Truth told, I'll take the Toyota.  There's a good chance it was build in America anyhow.

The other one is a museum piece, suitable for a museum, but not camping.  Pass.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/10/2021 7:49 am  #18

My Tacoma was made in Texas, still USA at this time.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/11/2021 1:18 am  #19

I don't care if it was made in Washington DC, it's still an example of a foreign truck.
Obviously safer, more reliable, and a better choice than that homemade '58 Chevy version of Cleopatra's barge.
It was a joke.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (12/11/2021 1:18 am)

12/11/2021 7:34 am  #20

We know brother.

1/05/2022 5:54 pm  #21

Fuck that foreign truck here's a 'Murican camper...

You can even feel rustic without bugs...

1/05/2022 8:58 pm  #22

missing the firey hole in the top where the light/heat pours out

otherwise, love'em  both!  (sorry I don't have nine thousand dollars for you)

Be Just And Fear Not

1/26/2022 9:38 pm  #23

Take down a tree and make your own cracked fog lamps.
Use the leftover wood to BBQ the people who laughed at your method...

1/27/2022 10:26 am  #24

Pics or it never happened.  Nicely drawn though.

1/31/2022 3:15 am  #25

I think catching a beaver and forcing it to fell the tree would be faster, easier, and more reliable. 

Board footera