cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2022 7:44 pm  #1

Saturday Night Live

On twitter somebody posted this bracket run off and prompted arguments about which decade was better. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/18/2022 10:39 pm  #2

Re: Saturday Night Live

Oh, this will be fun, when I'm not on the phone.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/19/2022 7:19 am  #3

Okay I'll try... Mr Robinson region. Murphy over Sweeney, Nealon over Fallon (talented just not funny), Strong over Hammond, Morris over Thompson, Chase over Dunn, Carvey over Killam, Rock over Bryant (she funny tho), Radner over Kattan.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/19/2022 10:44 am  #4

I watched it so little in the last decade that it's not fair of me to join in. 

There is definitely this unwarranted hero worship of the original cast that is thankfully abating.  The original cast was breaking ground and everything was wild and crazy, but the skits don't hold up at all, and it makes you wonder if they were really that funny back then.

1/19/2022 5:30 pm  #5

Oteri is technically funnier. Armisen is only funny in the same way that David Byrne is a good singer.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/24/2022 12:14 pm  #6

SNL has been dead to me for several years now.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/24/2022 10:00 pm  #7

Today, Jason Sudeikis would blow Dennis Miller out of the water.  I mean, freakin' Ted Lasso vs. a basic nobody.

But at the time time, 
Jason Sudeikis was forgettable on SNL, and Dennis Miller was a snarky, wry wit.  He was outstanding.

1/25/2022 12:02 pm  #8

The current cast is fairly strong, especially the women.  Kate McKinnon has been great, and Sarah Sherman seems pretty good so far.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (1/25/2022 12:08 pm)

1/25/2022 4:02 pm  #9

One of my favorite people to see (or hear, doing a voice-over) post-SNL is Chris Parnell. From the hapless AM radio announcer in Hot Rod, to Dr. Spaceman in 30 Rock, to the voice of Jerry on Rick and Morty. He was on [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Bang!_Bang!_(TV_series)]Comedy Bang! Bang![/url] numerous times and if you've never seen that, and you're a fan of every comedian ever you should check it out.

The funniest thing I've seen in years is I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson, SNL writer, and, briefly, cast member (you may have seen "Roundball Rock" with Jason Sudeikis, also a recurring character on ITYSL)

A guy I never cared about until I read the IMDB for We Bare Bears is Bobby Moynihan, the voice of Panda. A funny performance that's kind of like a softer version of ATHF's "Master Shake"

Last edited by Flint (1/25/2022 4:17 pm)

1/25/2022 5:27 pm  #10

I think you should leave is brilliant.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/25/2022 5:44 pm  #11

Thank you for reminding me of I Think You Should Leave.  I think I will start watching again this evening.

1/25/2022 5:47 pm  #12

griff wrote:

I think you should leave is brilliant.

So many quotable lines.

Tim Robinson came back after the lock-downs to empathize with our pandemic depression, through highly relatable, albeit absurd characters that said how we're all feeling. Sometimes we're all Karl Havoc and "don't even wanna be around anymore" because there's "too much sh!t on me." Another thing I will say about ITYSL is it's one of the most representational of every age, race, and gender shows I've ever seen. Tim Robinson is a saint, he has a heart of gold.

eta: glatt, you're welcome and I'm glad you're a fan!

Last edited by Flint (1/25/2022 6:00 pm)

1/25/2022 9:12 pm  #13

Undertoad wrote:

somebody else do that bracket, i can't

Ferrell
Poehler
Hader
Hartman

did I do that right?

1/25/2022 9:23 pm  #14

Undertoad wrote:

somebody else do that bracket, i can't

Ok, here we go!

Round One!

Farley over Pharoah

Spade over Gasteyer

Samberg over Lovitz

Sandler over Moynihan

Curtin over Meadows

Wiig over Piscapo

Morgan over Parnell

Fey over Jost

There ya go.

I've worked out the rest of this bracket, privately.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/26/2022 11:54 am  #15

Flint wrote:

One of my favorite people to see (or hear, doing a voice-over) post-SNL is Chris Parnell. From the hapless AM radio announcer in Hot Rod, to Dr. Spaceman in 30 Rock, to the voice of Jerry on Rick and Morty.

He's great in Archer, too.

Board footera