cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2020 8:03 pm  #1

November 3, 2020: Women's Suffrage

100 years of Women's Right to Vote is celebrated by the Ladies Library Association of Kalamazoo (MI) in the form of this gorgeous stained glass window.

brought to my attention on the blue f social media by one of my favorite authors Bonnie Jo Campbell  but the pic is by Marge Kars from This MLive article

782 pieces of glass by James Rife. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/03/2020 2:56 am  #2

Re: November 3, 2020: Women's Suffrage

Lovely!

Living life on the edge.

11/03/2020 4:55 am  #3

Interestingly, or otherwise, depending on your point of view, 'Through Hardship to the Stars' is the motto of the RAF, 'Per Ardua Ad Astra'.

11/03/2020 7:07 am  #4

Here's my poll worker headed out this morning wearing RBG pearls ensuring a free and fair election.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/03/2020 3:10 pm  #5

Thank Pete for her service.

At 439 West Main Street, Rochester, New York, stands a bronze monument on the spot where Susan B Anthony first voted illegally in 1872.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/04/2020 11:00 am  #6

Carruthers wrote:

Interestingly, or otherwise, depending on your point of view, 'Through Hardship to the Stars' is the motto of the RAF, 'Per Ardua Ad Astra'.

Motto of University of Birmingham : Per ardua ad alta Great heights through hardship/hard work (they claimed the latter)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/04/2020 11:04 am  #7

griff wrote:

Here's my poll worker headed out this morning wearing RBG pearls ensuring a free and fair election.

Shoot, I should have worn my collar of dissent necklace, didn't think about it.  Mind you, I left at 4, tbh I forgot to put make-up on.  Knew I should have left it on the sink to remind me. Thankfully that's all I forgot because it was a long drive and I always forget something so I'm quite happy when I figure out it's something less significant

11/04/2020 1:37 pm  #8

monster wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

Motto of University of Birmingham : Per ardua ad alta Great heights through hardship/hard work (they claimed the latter)

The cinema at an RAF station is called the Astra.
It is said that Per Ardua Ad Astra actually means 'Through Hardship to the Cinema'.

11/04/2020 7:32 pm  #9

Carruthers wrote:

'Through Hardship to the Cinema'.

I once tried to go see Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  Motor locked up on the way

"Through Hardship To The Cinema", indeed...

Last edited by Gravdigr (11/04/2020 7:32 pm)

Board footera