cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2022 7:37 am  #1

What is flag desecration?

Asking for a friend.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/26/2022 3:58 pm  #2

Re: What is flag desecration?

Tough question.
The trucker may think he is honoring it, but it looks to me as if it is just a big rag continually wiping a circle on the dirtiest part of his truck.
Comes close to desecration just because (s)he just doesn't care

1/26/2022 6:35 pm  #3

It's an interesting question, right? The blue line seems like desecration. The road grime seems like desecration. The cow piss and shit sure smells like desecration. I'm not a huge flag guy but I've always been careful with it since veterans can get upset about treating it rudely.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/26/2022 8:21 pm  #4

And yet it is only a symbol.  Properly used during Nam to (what we now know) was an honest and accurate statement.  By burning it in demonstrations that accurately depicted the biggest problem there.

1/27/2022 10:38 am  #5

I think the intent of the person needs to be considered.  I strongly suspect that the trucker believes they are respecting the flag and what they believe it stands for.

On the other hand, the whole blue line thing is pro-cops, right?  So maybe it's just pragmatic and a "please don't give me a ticket" kind of thing.  Maybe it's a minority who has had a lot of bad experiences with cops and they are hoping this makes life easier.  It's a time of year where keeping a vehicle clean is difficult.

1/27/2022 8:32 pm  #6

Maybe he is special forces?  And the flag is camouflaged?

1/31/2022 2:48 am  #7

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/31/2022 7:09 am  #8

tw wrote:

Maybe he is special forces?  And the flag is camouflaged?

Flu Trucks Klan? (stolen)

Bruce, seems like desecration. It comes back to Roy Rogers and Abbie Hoffman wearing the same flag shirt. Intent and team play, but if it keeps the cops off your back have at.

Board footera