cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2021 7:34 pm  #51

Re: What are you streaming?

I am very much enjoying Hacks (HBO Max) and The Kominsky Method (Netflix.) Also about to start watching Loki (Disney Plus,) which I can't technically say I enjoy yet, but I very much anticipate that I will.

6/08/2021 1:11 pm  #52

when at first I saw ads for M.O.D.O.K. (Hulu) I was like, "why did they make him a person?"
answer: because it's Patton freakin' Oswalt and you just go with it

it's done in the style of 'Robot Chicken' and has a star-studded voice-over cast, e.g. Nathan Fillion

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

6/08/2021 5:36 pm  #53

Nice!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/17/2021 12:55 pm  #54

We watched Ted Lasso, whuch I was resisting bc everyone was going on about it. I actually liked it a lot. It was sweet and didn't require an excessive degree of brain power on my part to follow along with.

The problem is when I started getting recommendations: "Oh, you liked Ted Lasso? Well, how about these other shows that are about sports teams?"

WTF? Why would I want to watch more shows about sports teams? Is that what you think Ted Lasso is about?

Why not suggest shows about people who bake treats for their bosses?

Hey! That's me up there!

10/19/2021 5:24 pm  #55

I am streaming Japanese traditional songs with subtitles. It is a very strange and delightful experience listening to a completely traditional song. basically, it is a Japanese traditional kabuki theatre performance where Performers wear old traditional dresses with attractive oni, samurai, cosplay slipknot, and many other kinds of masks which are really fascinating to watch.

10/19/2021 8:25 pm  #56

meghanswift wrote:

I am streaming Japanese traditional songs with subtitles. It is a very strange and delightful experience listening to a completely traditional song. basically, it is a Japanese traditional kabuki theatre performance where Performers wear old traditional dresses with attractive oni, samurai, cosplay slipknot, and many other kinds of masks which are really fascinating to watch.

Can you link to some examples?

Hey! That's me up there!

10/23/2021 4:10 pm  #57

I did not know samurai masks come with grillz.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/29/2022 7:55 am  #58

What are you streaming?

No Ordinary Family -(on the ABC Roku app) Family's plane crashes in a South American river with glowing gunk in it, when they get back home, urrbody got superpowers.  Dad is bullet proof, and can jump.  Mom's really fast.  Daughter can read minds, and such.  Dumbass son is suddenly smart as a whip.  It's different.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/14/2022 11:16 am  #59

Recent shows I have enjoyed and highly recommend:

The Woman in the House Across the Street From the Girl in the Window - a sendup of the women's thriller genre where they all have names like "The Boy in the Snow" and "The Girl on the Train," etc. You have to go into it understanding that it's satire, but goddamn does it nail it.

Peacemaker - Not everyone's cup of tea, obscenity-wise, but it's James Gunn and I love James Gunn. Plus it's got the actor who played the T-1000 in Terminator 2, as an evil redneck Nazi with superpowers.

Don't Look Up - You've probably seen mention of it in the media. They're not wrong; it's very good.

2/14/2022 12:30 pm  #60

Peacemaker has the best opening credits in a long time.

Finally watching Supernatural.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (2/14/2022 12:30 pm)

2/14/2022 1:35 pm  #61

I'm re-watching Breaking Bad all the way from the beginning, and it's as great as it ever was. Just the right mix of being almost too hard to watch, but paces itself really effectively by breaking up those anxiety-inducing situations with something else entertaining to distract you.

Also, I just finished Better Call Saul (so I'm going in chronological order), mainly just to see Bob Odenkirk, but it's al all-around good show. Totally different from Breaking Bad. I hadn't remembered how much of a main character Saul Goodman was in the BB original series, and I'm actually mystified by how Odenkirk manages to "ham it up" in BB without taking away from the gritty reality. He's really threading the needle, I can't believe they found a way to get a comedian* in such a dark story.

*eta: should mention, Bill Burr is good, too. and not too "comedian-y"

Last edited by Flint (2/14/2022 1:37 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/15/2022 8:43 pm  #62

Better Call Saul rocks.

I just started Third Watch.  The episodes are so old the picture is square.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (2/15/2022 8:47 pm)

2/16/2022 7:14 am  #63

Happy Monkey wrote:

Peacemaker has the best opening credits in a long time.

I love that bit. Maybe We'll get back to it after the Olympics.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/16/2022 9:40 am  #64

Finished Ted Lasso Season 2. The show jumped the shark in the middle of the season and then resorted to already used jokes and predictable plot points and just completely sucked. Would have been much better as a single season.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/16/2022 12:24 pm  #65

Last edited by Happy Monkey (2/16/2022 12:24 pm)

2/16/2022 6:02 pm  #66

i only let that go for 32 minutes

2/16/2022 6:38 pm  #67

griff wrote:

i only made it 3 minutes.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/17/2022 5:10 am  #68

fargon wrote:

griff wrote:

i only made it 3 minutes.

I made it 18 seconds.  I never need to see  or hear that again.  Evar.

2/17/2022 8:05 am  #69

I'm one of the few people who likes the show but thinks the opening sequence is dumb. I mean, it's fine, but it's just a musical number. Tons and tons of shows have done musical numbers. Even within the superhero genre, you've got Wandavision, who did it way better IMHO.

2/17/2022 12:00 pm  #70

By "musical number" do you mean had music during opening credits (though even just this is sadly rarer and rarer)?  WandaVision had some parodies of sitcom openings credits, but I don't remember anything more than that.

As an aside, I'm glad to hear that Peacemaker has been renewed.

2/17/2022 4:51 pm  #71

I just mean a song with dance choreography and/or sung by the main characters--basically the moment when a regular show starts to follow stage-musical rules. The musical number in WandaVision that I was thinking of was "Agatha All Along," though re-watching it now I realize there was no dancing, it was more like a mid-show stylized credits sequence. But some other examples:

How I Met Your Mother:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend:

Mad Men:

Umbrella Academy:

Lucifer:

Big Bang Theory:

Community:

American Horror Story:

Like I said, the Peacemaker opening number is fine--it's just bizarre to me that people are acting like this is the first time the cast of a non-musical show has done a stylized dance together.

Edit to add: In fairness, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a musical show through-and-through. It doesn't really count.

Last edited by Clodfobble (2/17/2022 4:53 pm)

2/17/2022 7:04 pm  #72

Reacher on Amazon

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/17/2022 9:48 pm  #73

Undertoad wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

Finished Ted Lasso Season 2. The show jumped the shark in the middle of the season and then resorted to already used jokes and predictable plot points and just completely sucked. Would have been much better as a single season.

thank you

we had a show about a guy with a unique competency who was able to achieve amazing results by summoning things in the human spirit that the rest of us don't see

and now we have a show about how he's weak and broken but hey, keep the quirkiness, cos people like that! and now let's check out all the secondary characters and their various hijinx and sub dramas

Well put. Or as we say in my house. "Ed Zachary!"

Hey! That's me up there!

2/17/2022 10:04 pm  #74

Welcome home.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/18/2022 10:58 am  #75

I find it amusing that YouTube now expects me to sit through several minutes of ads (in addition to the ads strewn throughout) after I've watched the video...

Bless their heart.

Oh, and have you noticed how often the ads come now?  On most of the vids I watch, there's an ad about every four and a half minutes.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/18/2022 10:59 am)

Board footera