cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2022 6:57 pm  #1

Once again I am asking for comuter advice -- for my new PC!

The best girlfriend evar got me a new PC for valentine's day. It's still fresh but has some Dell bloatware on it. I am tempted to wipe the drive and reinstall windows from a media creation tool but I'm worried there might be some stull that Dell put on there that  might actually need. Dell also created 4 partitions as well as C: that say 200 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition), 990 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition), 1.35 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) and 13 MB Unallocated. C: is NTFS 474 GB Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition)

I'd like to keep the OS on its own and put programs on another partition of C: let's call it P: for programs. I'm under the impression that when things get shitty with Windows 10 I can reinstall the OS and not have to reinstall all my other programs.

I can manually delete the bloatware, (I'd also love to delete Cortana), but if it is easy enough to use the media creation tool to remove bloatware then I can do that. Should I then copy the new OS disk image to a partition as well as make a partition for programs?

How big should the partitions be?

Hey! That's me up there!

2/16/2022 8:11 pm  #2

Re: Once again I am asking for comuter advice -- for my new PC!

I don't mess with anything anymore. My advice is use Revo Uninstall, advanced mode, to clean up any junk you don't want, leave the partitions alone because there could be useful options stashed there (like a flash of the factory OS/hardware drivers on my old HP Win7 laptops).

Yes, it is true that Win10 can re-install the OS and keep your program data, but as far as I'm concerned if the PC is tanked, it was me and my f@%king with it that was the problem-- all my programs are exactly what I want dumped. With Win10 you can wipe the OS down to nothing and start over fresh in a couple of clicks, I just did this to one of my kids old PCs.

Last edited by Flint (2/16/2022 8:15 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/16/2022 8:48 pm  #3

footfootfoot wrote:

It's still fresh but has some Dell bloatware on it. I am tempted to wipe the drive and reinstall windows from a media creation tool but I'm worried there might be some stull that Dell put on there that  might actually need.  

Removing so called bloatware accomplishes nothing.  Anything you want to remove is easily accomplished from a Control Panel.  But that will not make your machine any faster, recovers almost zero more disk drive, and does nothing negative if just left alone.

Those partitions do plenty of useful functions.  Wiping a drive can simply remove functions that make a Dell so more reliable than other less machines.  Including the partition that holds the most critical software - comprehensive hardware diagnostics.

We has a computer that even destroyed the reinstalltion software.  It took days to restore everything.  I am not so sure some of the software was properly restored.

Wiping the drive really does nothing useful.  Even separating data, programs, and OS into separate partitions can cause further complications down the road.  Nobody can accurately say how big each partition should be.  Get it wrong and you have simply created more problems - while accomplishing nothing.

Cortana is something that MS has entrenched.  Destroying it can even obstruct full access to help menus.  Just leaven it alone and don't use it.

Best thing to do is delete (unpinn) all those stupid tiles.  An invention by Balmer that made no sense.

Some do not know why its service tag provides access to so many other useful functions.  At some point, take a tour of what that can also provide - unique for your machine.

2/16/2022 9:16 pm  #4

Thanks Flint and tw.
I'm glad to read all that. If I can fck around with my computer less, all the better.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/17/2022 12:57 pm  #5

footfootfoot wrote:

Thanks... tw.

Ok, I get it now.

You people are turning on me, aren't you?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/17/2022 2:15 pm  #6

footfootfoot wrote:

Thanks Flint and tw.
I'm glad to read all that. If I can fck around with my computer less, all the better.

Computers are different these days. A lot of what we used to do was to overcome engineering downfalls that have been fixed over the years. Like, remember running 'RAM Idle' because Windows wouldn't release memory usage from programs that weren't using it anymore? Or adjusting your packet size to get faster downloads of MP3s?

2/17/2022 9:28 pm  #7

I, for one, don't miss the good old days when I had to manually crank the motor to start it or manually operate the oiler to keep the valve train lubricated.  Those are comic exaggerations, but a manual choke and non self cancelling turn signals.. not exaggerations.

The computers have advanced similarly.  Usually, to our benefit, convenience-wise and performance-wise.  Security and "privacy", -wise, it's mixed.

But for tuning your new computer, unless you're doing something more exotic than just home computering, leave it the f alone.  I had a mutual non-aggression pact with a pair of synchronized Zenith-Stromberg carburetors.  I didn't fuck with them, they didn't fuck with me.  Worked out great.  Feel free to use this example as a template for your new life with your new computer.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/18/2022 7:51 am  #8

Feet, you misspelled commuter in the thread title.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (2/18/2022 7:52 am)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/18/2022 8:38 am  #9

TheNeverWas wrote:

Feet, you misspelled commuter in the thread title.

I just noticed that. D'oh!

Hey! That's me up there!

2/18/2022 10:20 am  #10

Computers have simply become the new comuting device.

2/18/2022 10:31 am  #11

BigV wrote:

The computers have advanced similarly.  Usually, to our benefit, convenience-wise and performance-wise. 

Any industry that has not obsolete its entire product line in ten years is headed for bankruptcy.  Superior foreign competitors are taking over that market.

Automobile industry is a perfect example.  They so hated innovation after 1970 that Federal laws had to require them to replace obsolete carburetors with old and well proven technology - fuel injectors. They so hated innovation for so many decades that most cars, built in America, now have foreign nameplates.

Clinton gave them $million in the early 1990s to develop hybrids.  Their hatred of innovation meant they stifled innovation for 20 years.  Then finally a first GM hybrid - Chevy Volt.  Its engine could not even recharge its battery.  The only hybrid, anywhere in the world, that has that massive design failure.

An example of an anti-American company because it will not innovate every ten years.

What happens in a computer industry demonstrates what must happen in every patriotic American industry.  Free markets punish those who do not innovate.  Who only want to make profits.

2/18/2022 10:44 am  #12

footfootfoot wrote:

If I can fck around with my computer less, all the better. 

Get Process Explorer from Microsoft. And/or try Task Manager.  Notice numbers that indicate possible bottlenecks.  Best is to first see those numbers long before problems occur later.  Best is to first learn what a good computer does so that, if problems happen, then solutions are fast and obvious.

Same applies to comprehensive hardware diagnostics that only come in better computers.. Those execute without Windows complicating / masking defects.  Either diagnostics are already loaded on the machine.  Or must be downloaded from Dell using that service tag number.

For example, her computer would just suddenly crash once or twice a week.   Using comprehensive diagnostics, I discovered one memory location in CPU 4 was defective.  And only failed when certain values were loaded.

Fortunately she asked me to look at it two weeks before its warranty expired.  That Dell has now been running fine for many years without any failures.  Another example of what to look at today while a Dell is still working fine.  First to be able to locate a future bottleneck created by software (ie malware).  Second to be able to identify a rare hardware defect should that occur.

2/18/2022 3:30 pm  #13

My commuter advice is to be mindful of the bus speed.

2/19/2022 10:36 am  #14

Can you train a computer to work right?

2/19/2022 1:42 pm  #15

So, new Dell Optiplex 7090. Am I impressed?
Not So Much.

First, I can't figure out how to turn off the Microsoft advertisements/notifications/prompts asknig me if I want to try this or try that or sign up for the other thing. I don't. I just want to get to work.

Second, the second wireless keyboard I got from them is also not recognized by the receiver but the mouse is. Dell suggests a bunch of things, none of which fix the problem, Not least because one of the fixes is to download and install a few critical updates that --- you are correct if you guessed "failed to install".

None of the updates would install despite trying three times.

PER EVERYONE'S ADVICE I DID NOT FUCK WITH ANYTHING ON THIS COMPUTER.  Maybe now is the time that I re-install the OS or run restore or whatever.

This is supposed to be an out of the box, plug and play.

Last edited by footfootfoot (2/19/2022 1:43 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

2/19/2022 2:05 pm  #16

I just ran the on-board troubleshooter and the test for the keyboard involved hitting three different keys. If the screen didn't show the keys as having been pressed then you click the button that says 'fail'. A notice saying 'analyzing' device shows followed by the conclusion... 'failed'
Didn't I just fucking click that button? What in the fuck am I running the troubleshooter for?
Now I will probably have to get on the phone with Rj for 20 minutes before he hangs up on me and then I call back and wait another 20 minutes only to find out that something something and they will send out a new one right away.
ETA:
I am running the test again via the Dell website and it is running more expanded diagnsotics.
aaaaaannnnddd, the diagnstic test is complete and I get an "access denied" message so I have no idea what my results are.

Last edited by footfootfoot (2/19/2022 2:16 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

2/19/2022 3:08 pm  #17

If a diagnostic said fail, then something is defective.

I will never understand why a mouse and keyboard are wireless.  I have discovered good keyboards in the trash because a low battery meant only one letter key stopped working.  Why would anyone need something that requires constant battery replacement and a power off switch?  When a mouse and keyboard always remains adjacent to the computer?

Verify batteries are good.  That can only be done (without doubt) using a meter.  If not, you have a warranty to replace it.  And diagnostics that said where a defect resides.

Microsoft does have an option to turn off  "notifications'.  But to find it, one must first know the correct word to search on: notifications.  OSes have so much inside that it sometimes becomes hard to locate a solution.

In one example, intra-networking stopped working.  Turns out that updates no longer supported an older version of SMB.  No documentation said anything about this.  That also took a long time to uncover / discover.  I have been there doing same as you with other 'challenges'.

Many of these complication are due to massive security changes being implemented at a furious rate even due to things happening in Ukraine.  Try locating Personal Templates in Word.  Somehow that has disappeared or was changes.  (Anybody know how to enable that feature?)

But diagnostics clearly say the keyboard is not talking to that wireless adaptor.  And the mouse is.  So (apparently) something is wrong with the keyboard.  Or maybe a wrong keyboard was provided for that adaptor.  But you have a fact that only exists because diagnostics exist.  Diagnostic provided that hard fact.

Nothing (in your summary) says anything is wrong iwth the OS.  Reinstalling increases the number of unknowns.  That means a problem becomes exonentially more complex.

Never once saw a diagnostic message from Dell that said that.  But then I would always load the diagnostics into a partition intended only for diagnostics.  So that diagnostics could run without Windows.  Windows (as it should) can mask and work around defects.

Step one. What are voltage numbers for each keyboard battery?

Last edited by tw (2/19/2022 3:13 pm)

Board footera