cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2022 1:17 am  #1

War is Hell, But Business is Business

It's terrible, the human suffering, death and destruction, how can we make a buck off this situation. 
Best suggestion gets an expense paid week with a guest in Hawaii.
So put on your thinking cap and maybe we can siphon off some milk of human kindness for ourselves.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/09/2022 4:52 pm  #2

Re: War is Hell, But Business is Business

Conventional wisdom says that being close trading partners with a country will keep you out of a war with them.

I'd like to avoid a war.

3/10/2022 6:45 am  #3

glatt wrote:

Conventional wisdom says that being close trading partners with a country will keep you out of a war with them.
I'd like to avoid a war.

These are not conventional times so conventional wisdom must be reevaluated.
McDonalds, Starbucks, Coke and Pepsi have decided to cease operations in Russia but are going to continue to pay employees.
For how long I don't know, but it would make resuming much easier with grateful employees.
Closed down with no revenue coming in I don't know how they'll pay people with all the restrictions on moving money in or out. They're talking tens of thousands of people too.
When the world goes nuts the poor suffer, and the rich are inconvenienced.

3/10/2022 7:29 am  #4

Undertoad wrote:

US GDP $21 trillion
EU GDP $17 trillion
China GDP $14.7 trillion
Russia GDP $1.5 trillion

one of these things is not like the other

Funny how Kleptocracy hasn't created a thriving market. In the end, it looks like we were unable to make the strongman feel like a big shot.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/10/2022 11:53 am  #5

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

These are not conventional times so conventional wisdom must be reevaluated.

These are conventional times.  When one does not learn from history, then one is doomed to repeat it.  Ongoing is what also was happening in the 1930s.  Including why so many in Russia believe America created the war.  And that NATO was created as a military arm of the US government controlling satellite nations.

What happened in Ukraine in this last decade also happened to the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia.. Similar is also ongoing in the Baltic states, Georgia, and in a region surrounding the South China Sea.  Also scary is how autotracy is increasing in America.  Some 30% of 20 to 34 year olds believe a government by a strongman is prefered over democracy.  Democracy all over the world is decreasing.  Just like in 1930s.

Autocracy is strongly advocated even by Trump supporters. 

Strong trading partners tend to make for strong military alliances.  Also a lesson from history.  TPP was essential to pressure China into a less autocratic and more open economy.   Now that TPP is gone, China is now telling America that it can have the Eastern Pacific.  China will be the default power in the western Pacific.  And that the US will be attacked it if defends Taiwan.  All that only after TPP was destroyed. 

Trends today were a conventional norm ninety years ago.

3/10/2022 2:20 pm  #6

Undertoad wrote:

US GDP $21 trillion
EU GDP $17 trillion
China GDP $14.7 trillion
Russia GDP $1.5 trillion

one of these things is not like the other

I thought it was going to be the accent, but, that's more than one thing...

And then it hit me.

It's the eyes, ain't it?  One out of four is one thing.

Yep, gotta be the eyes.

Is it the eyes?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/10/2022 2:21 pm  #7

That was racist, btw...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/10/2022 2:36 pm  #8

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I don't know how they'll pay people with all the restrictions on moving money in or out.

Heh, I would imagine they'll let anybody's money in...

3/10/2022 8:50 pm  #9

TheNeverWas wrote:

That was racist, btw...

Racist is an extremist whose justification is by insults. 

Difference?  Based in facts; not in a hatred of honesty and emotionally justified slander.

And tweet length so that you can read it.

3/11/2022 4:03 am  #10

Eh, shaddap.

3/11/2022 6:18 pm  #11

TheNeverWas wrote:

Eh, shaddap.

Reality is difficult for an extremist. Learn how to think for oneself need not be done when the central committee of the communist party orders him who to hate.  And to also praise Putin.

3/11/2022 9:03 pm  #12

And in cartoon format, so even you can understand it.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/11/2022 9:04 pm)

3/11/2022 11:02 pm  #13

TheNeverWas wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I don't know how they'll pay people with all the restrictions on moving money in or out.

Heh, I would imagine they'll let anybody's money in... 

Sure but how, the US and EU have barred moving money to Russia. The banks won't, even paypal won't.

3/12/2022 10:54 am  #14

IDK.

Hawala?

Can't you ppl just let me speak out of my ass?

TW does it almost constantly.

3/12/2022 10:55 am  #15

You know I can't think before I speak...

3/14/2022 12:07 am  #16

The business of war...

3/14/2022 3:31 pm  #17

Uh...
Know whut, just nevermind.  I didn't say nuthin.

3/15/2022 3:37 pm  #18

When were thermobaric weapons first deployed?  Is napalm considered a thermobaric weapon?

Board footera