cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2022 8:12 pm  #1

Earthquakes

It started when I read a statement that the earthquake rating scale is basically open ended but a 12 would tear the Earth apart.
Well that sounded like comic book hyperbole so I said to myself, self says I, lets see how hyper that was boled.

Turned out to be not a rabbit hole but a rabbit canyon.
I hiked down to the bottom of the grand canyon in less time than this quest took.
Looks like Zippy is right in the middle of a hot spot.

There's a lot of information on the web but some is contradictory.
I wasn't surprised the tsunami that earthquakes always generate can get big.
In 1958 the tsunami in Lituya bay, Alaska was 1700 feet high.

Much of the Magnitude is generated by the length of the rift and to generate an M-12 would take a rift larger than the Earth so it's sort of true.
Anyway, I spent so much time on this I'm parking it here.

Michigan made a short clip on quakes.
https://www.iris.edu/hq/inclass/uploads/videos/A_004_earthquakeintensity.mp4

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/04/2022 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Earthquakes

What's the significance of the dude with the board/tire combo?

Hey! That's me up there!

3/05/2022 12:18 pm  #3

The board/tire is something we usually see from hurricane or tornado aftermath, but that was supposedly from the Good Friday quake in Alaska. Google has been known to lie however.

3/05/2022 1:06 pm  #4

I have always thought of tsunami as an open ocean thing, but Lituya Bay is just the place for the perfect big slosh.  Superlatives abound. 
There has been discussion of the use of the term.
Here is a nice supplement to your links.
I don't get the Zippy reference.   
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147557/lituya-bays-apocalyptic-wave

3/05/2022 5:09 pm  #5

That quake lasted 4-1/2 minutes!!  Crazy.
Apparently one house moved over a mile.
"We don't live there anymore we've moved."

3/05/2022 7:35 pm  #6

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I don't get the Zippy reference..

Zippy is a Dwellar who lives in Arkansas, the big red splotch in middle US.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/05/2022 8:08 pm  #7

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I have always thought of tsunami as an open ocean thing...

That's the safest place, the open (deep) ocean.  I've seen old footage of fisherman taking their boats out to sea before an expected tsunami.

Ya might not even notice a tsunami pass you by on the open ocean.

Said the tsunami expert in Kentucky.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/09/2022 1:57 am  #8

I agree, trouble comes when it hits land.

3/14/2022 3:07 pm  #9

This IOTD was only posted on Mar 2?

Seems like it's been here forever.

3/15/2022 6:41 am  #10

It's your turn.

3/15/2022 6:40 pm  #11

I think we can all agree that would be a bad idea.
I wasn't bitching, I was making an observation.  I'm sure some ppl feel like it just went up yesterday.

Board footera