cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2022 10:09 pm  #1

Pittsburgh Bridges Falling Down...

You probably heard about the one yesterday.
In a city of bridges a bridge that only carried 14,500 vehicles a day has a noticeability rating of a pothole.
It wasn't even on the list waiting for federal money to get fixed.

I'm not sure but I suspect that rotted off angle beam was not a support in compression but a stabilizer in tension, and the two round rods above it had taken over that duty. But like I said that's a guess..

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/30/2022 8:09 am  #2

Re: Pittsburgh Bridges Falling Down...

We've paddled under enough bridges to know this is just the tip of the Iceburgh.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/30/2022 8:11 pm  #3

As noted so many times previously, some Americans are so extremist as to want a bigger military and more wars.  Those same people have contempt for America.

Also noted are so many Americans who come home decades later, look at America, and ask why is infrastructure, even in so many third world nations, superior?

NYC is a perfect example.   Verrazano Narrows bridge was a last major construction - early 1960s.  Virtually everything else across the Hudson River was built before WWII - when the purpose of a company back then was its product.  When finance people were only a support function - made no decisions.  When moderates were making decision.  And naysaying extremist had little say.

NYC desperately needs two more transit tunnels.  The few that exist were built by the Pennsylvania RR almost 100 years ago.  How many are even old enough to remember the Pennsylvania RR - now called the Long Island RR - and other names.

An extremist (Gov Christie of NJ) killed it because it cost too much. Bean counter mentality in a right wing extremists (who also blamed teachers for being lazy). An anti-American (a cost controller) rationalizes that way.  And worse, is believed.

In the 1970s, NYC stopping repainting bridges because maintenance does not create profits - does not control costs.  That continued until 1988 when a major structural beam fell off the Williamsburg Bridge.  Business school mentality worships cost controls.  A major disaster was not on their watch - 15 years later.  So they were not guilty.  So many "we's" blamed age.  And not the people who are responsible for 85% of all problems (such as the Challenger explosion).

Bridges fall down only because the boss cannot be bothered to spend money on infrastructure.  These extremists get popular doing fiascos (that accomplished nothing) such as "Shock 'n Awe".  To attack a mythical Saddam - he was not anywhere there.

America is only a great power when it innovates. Business school graduates (ie Trump) stifle innovation to make profits.

Innovation means building things needed and new.  Doing things today that result in profits ten plus years later.   Such as container ship ports that automates unloading of containers immediately from ship to awaiting trains.  We do not even have that.   Instead we have trucks sitting and waiting for someone to finally provide a load.  And backed up (sometimes all day) on long toll booth lines to get in and out.  Due to a cost control mentality taught in business schools.  And endorsed by extremists who only understand popularity by performing bogus military fiascos solving problems with more guns.

That money wasted on Mission Accomplished (because so many believed emotions rather that facts) is why countries such as China are now building the industries and owning ports all over the world.  They use our money to pay for it.

Last edited by tw (1/30/2022 8:16 pm)

1/31/2022 2:11 am  #4

That's right not even on the list. Traffic of 14,500/day isn't enough voters to get money in the city of bridges where there are high profile projects to sway an order of magnitude more voters. 

2/02/2022 10:23 am  #5

We spent so much money on bogus wars (ie Mission Accomplished) that we no long have (or will spend) money to make America great.  Extremist love big wars with "Shock and Awe" to waste money that should be spent on infrastructure, innovation, and schools.  Extremists  hate spending money on them.

That bridge (built in 1970) was simply in better shape than most other bridges in Pittsburgh.  Built before WWII.  Extremists hate spending money on anything that does not show up as a profit on this year's spread sheets.   Which also explains badly designed hardware in Space Shuttles, the 737 Max, an obvious boondoggle called Orion, Ares, and Constellation, and Flint water.

Why was the Tappan Zee bridge and Schuylkill Expressway reduced (undersized) when constructed.  Money shortages created by a Korean war.

Some wars must be fought.  But a nation, now more dominated by extremist rhetoric, create a US that is constantly at war where no war need exist.  Mission Accomplished and a resulting surrender to the Taliban in 2005 are but examples.

Last edited by tw (2/02/2022 10:23 am)

3/12/2022 11:09 am  #6

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/12/2022 9:48 pm  #7

yikes

that looks like eleven kinds of bad

Be Just And Fear Not

3/13/2022 11:45 am  #8

Why did it take so long to recover that bus?  Human safety problems?  Or is that bridge considered unnecessary?

Last edited by tw (3/13/2022 11:46 am)

3/13/2022 8:20 pm  #9

They were waiting for you to tell them how to do it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/14/2022 12:04 am  #10

Somebody did some science to build that crane.

3/14/2022 10:00 am  #11

TheNeverWas wrote:

They were waiting for you to tell them how to do it.

They never asked.

3/14/2022 3:24 pm  #12

When has not being asked ever stopped you?

3/14/2022 3:34 pm  #13

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Somebody did some science to build that crane.

There's a better pic of that scene that shows the crane more completely.

I'll look for ten seconds and see if I can find it.

Sorry for the overlarge image:

I'm pretty impressed by the structural integrity of the bendy part of that bus.  I would have thought it would bend in a vertical fashion if rigged that way.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/14/2022 3:37 pm)

3/14/2022 5:46 pm  #14

I imagine it's designed to be balanced on the wheels.  You've got the rear engine weight cantilevered off the back behind those rear wheels, offsetting the weight of the longer front part of the rear end. I hadn't seen where the bus came to rest.  It sure looks in good shape.  I expected it to be all crumpled up.

3/14/2022 5:58 pm  #15

♫ my fair lady ♫

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/15/2022 3:29 pm  #16

TheNeverWas wrote:

When has not being asked ever stopped you?

When do you post anything other than an insult? Extremist are not trained in how to contribute.

3/15/2022 3:36 pm  #17

TheNeverWas wrote:

I'm pretty impressed by the structural integrity of the bendy part of that bus. 

That hitch has specification numbers both for forces front to back.  And another spec for yaw and pitch.  It must be able to withstand all forces that might occur with all motion of the back half - from that back wheel up to the hitch.

Dynamic forces (ie when a bus is moving) would be greater than static forces in that picture.  But then one knows that when one learns how things work rather than posting only emotions.

3/15/2022 6:32 pm  #18

tw wrote:

Dynamic forces (ie when a bus is moving) would be greater than static forces in that picture.

Are you saying that the force on that coupling as the bus turns on the street, is greater than the force of the weight of the bus hinging on that coupling vertically?

3/16/2022 11:08 am  #19

TheNeverWas wrote:

Are you saying that the force on ...

Please observe what is obvious before asking questions based only in emotions.

3/19/2022 3:37 am  #20

What's obvious is that you speak out of your ass frequently.

And you never answer questions that challenge whatever odd sounding shit you just spilled out of your word hole.

I dare you to educate me on this matter, oh Great and Wise One.

A one word answer would have sufficed, if you would just address my question, instead of deflecting because you can't admit you spoke out of your ass.

At every challenge, you fail.  You don't even try to back up whatever shit you spewed to raise the question in the first place.  You just default back to your same vaguely passive/aggressive little insults.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/19/2022 3:41 am)

3/19/2022 3:40 am  #21

And that question wasn't based ON (not IN) emotion.

It was based on physics.

Which explains why you wouldn't answer it.

3/20/2022 12:01 pm  #22

Cables supported the bus at the same points that wheels supported the bus.  If one knew physics (and not extremist rhetoric), then one saw what was obvious.

He again promotes fears using emotions.  Physics uses the other (logical) brain.

Board footera