cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2020 11:02 pm  #1

What's mildly amusing you today?

Our suburb's little newspaper contained an article about a new resort hotel, which will be the "second-largest employer in the city!" with its 1,200 new jobs.

The largest employer in the city... is Dell, with over 13,000 employees. But, yeah, I guess the resort is technically the second-largest.

11/12/2020 11:59 pm  #2

Re: What's mildly amusing you today?

I was getting phone calls, sometimes 5 or 6 a day, that had the number blocked. One time I answered out of curiosity and it was a recording telling me the company I had purchased computer security from had gone out of business and they wanted to refund two years subscription. That's bullshit so I would usually just pick-up/hang-up to break the connection so they couldn't leave a voice mail, but if I wasn't near the phone they would.

So I dialed into Verizon voice mail which is a pain after recent changes where I have to listen to the recording recite the time and the caller's number before I can hear the message.  But this time they gave me the callers number that was blocked, 954-652-3780.

I called the number and after a lot of clicking and various sound effects I hear "the number you have reached is not in service, please check the number and call again." That was several days ago and haven't had a call since.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/19/2021 9:44 am  #3

We had a pretty decent hail storm a couple of days ago. Mr. Clod was like, "we should check the roof for damage." I was like, "There's no need, the ambulance-chasers will call us."

Sure enough, just got my first cold-call from a roofing company offering to inspect it for free. There's going to be a lot of new roofs going up on our street in the next few weeks.

4/27/2021 10:51 pm  #4

Last edited by Peoploid (4/27/2021 10:51 pm)

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/29/2021 5:17 am  #5

Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/29/2021 9:29 pm  #6

They could have a gay manager. ;o)

4/30/2021 1:26 am  #7

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

They could have a gay manager. ;o)

In  that case I think it would count as personal advertising. I'm sure that would be against company rules 

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/30/2021 8:33 am  #8

I don't understand what it was even supposed to be.

McDonald's Yass, like McDonalds Yes?  Like you are happy that there is a McDonalds? Or is Yass a location or something?

4/30/2021 9:26 am  #9

glatt wrote:

I don't understand what it was even supposed to be.

McDonald's Yass, like McDonalds Yes?  Like you are happy that there is a McDonalds? Or is Yass a location or something?

Apparently Yass is a place in Australia.

Lo Fidelity Allstars

5/02/2021 11:03 am  #10

Yass is located directly atop Ylegs.

Aaaanywho...

I was checking the NASCAR race schedule for today and the name of this particular race had gotten by me, cuz, I know if I'd heard it, I'd have remembered it.

"The Buschy McBusch Race 400"

I shit you not.

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/02/2021 11:07 am)

6/02/2021 8:22 pm  #11

A house across the road had a couple of bright green vans pull up a few days ago, and a small posse of people in bright green shirts got out.  The vans and the shirts said "One Day Painting" on them.  They've been here almost every day since (3 or 4), more vans and more people each day -it was like a tailgate party in the garage this afternoon, the street was full of cars regular ones as well as bright green ones, and there were so many people in green shirts mostly hanging out in the garage and smoking. 

I don't think I'll be hiring that company, even if the reason is that that house in the new One Day Painting company headquarters

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/18/2021 12:22 am  #12

Fashion always amuses me, when the covid shot nurse asked me if I'd lost my sense of taste I told her no, I alway dress this way.
But I'm always amused by shoe fashion...

6/19/2021 12:13 am  #13

Start training them early...

7/31/2021 7:10 pm  #14

I'm writing the run report for parkrun today, and some of our regulars were "touristing" at another parkrun, so I was looking at those results.... and then i saw the name of the ?runner who finished 4th.......

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/01/2021 6:42 am  #15

They got you.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/27/2021 6:04 pm  #16

I've been working my way through Brit fly-on-the-wall docco 24 Hours in A&E and am amused by the sign that says "Resus Only" because -with my visual field cut- I don't see the first letter of words I read and generally my brain fills in before I shift my focal point to see what the letter really is, so I keep reading "Jesus Only" 

12/19/2021 7:03 pm  #17

I told Minifobette that she needed to do an extra good job washing her hair tonight, because it was starting to look like white lady dreds and that's not a good look on anybody...

She then informed me that her mic was hot, and all of her friends had just heard my comment over the Discord channel.

12/19/2021 10:52 pm  #18

"Mom, my mic was hot."

I already knew all those words, but I never, ever expected to hear them like you heard them. Even changing Dad for Mom.

More than mildly amusing..

Be Just And Fear Not

12/19/2021 11:14 pm  #19

Clodfobble wrote:

I told Minifobette that she needed to do an extra good job washing her hair tonight, because it was starting to look like white lady dreds and that's not a good look on anybody...

She then informed me that her mic was hot, and all of her friends had just heard my comment over the Discord channel.

OMG I deliberately do that exact same thing to Thunderboi when he has a hot mic because his hair gets so gross I can smell it from outside of his room.  It generally works.  ish.

4/26/2022 6:41 pm  #20

last night (or early this morning) my son messaged he needed a brief loan to cover the gap between the reissue of a missing check to him and the due date of his credit card.  A little over $600.  I always like to add a small bumper in case he miscalculated or forgot a late night food delivery on debit card etc (he has his last 2 finals of his bachelor's degree tomorrow, these things are not unlikely -this is not my first rodeo)  so I transferred $666 to him for my own personal amusement.  and I am still amused.  I am also very aware that he did not comment on the exact amount and he would have done if he had noticed..... and I cannot wait for this to finally be over.  He needs to be finished.  for all our sanities.

4/29/2022 2:23 pm  #21

Watching an astronomy video, the narrator says, "The more massive the star, the greater the gravitational compression pushing inwards."

huh huh.. huh huh .. Beavis, this video is cool

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/29/2022 10:20 pm  #22

That's not exactly true but close enough I guess.

6/22/2022 5:20 pm  #23

My improvement of a friend's cutesy facebook post that i can't share on fb because they are a nice person 

6/23/2022 7:43 am  #24

LOL

Fancy script and everything.

7/14/2022 11:20 pm  #25

um so the "company" that I work for appointed a new president today ...Santa Ono.... and I just picture Yoko Ono dressing festively screeching "Happy Christmas, War is over".......  I'mm'a get fired very soon......

Board footera