cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2022 8:07 am  #1

Funny and Embarrassing Things They Say - resurrected!

Last night I hopped on the old memory train. I saw Griff's recent ADK post with a photo of him and Pete and remembered the mm saying something about how he must have had to walk really far in the snow to find Pete. I wanted to remind her and show her the original photo and the new one but I couldn't remember the exact thing she said and the context so i went searching but couldn't find the post. I did end up on 'Funny and embarrassing things they say' and it was funny and bittersweet. Without getting all maudlin it's been a delightful, funny, and inspiring 18 years (and counting!) for me and hopefully for you all as well.

We've watched our kids grow up, we've shared our tragedies and successes, and in a lot of cases helped contribute to the latter. You've all helped shape my emotional and personal growth and helped clarify my values. We've gotten older, we've lost some Dwellars gained new ones and have moved our imaginary home. So many changes and I've had the fortune to experience them with all of you. One of these days I will remember Virtual Forks and attend or maybe host or travel to a live one.

I just shared with my GF, (30+ years teaching college with emphasis on compostion in her classes) Monster's post about PoloGirl:

Monster wrote:

PoloGirl (College senior) is taking a dull, non-genius-level class to complete her ?science requirement for graduation. Something to do with the environment and people.... All other students are taking it for the same reason. She was telling me that the prof is clearly not used to having students who can write. He's set a homework that's a minimum 600 words, and told the class "don't worry if you're struggling, you can treat it as a series of long-answer questions and not string them together as an essay. Just start writing, you'll be amazed at how much you can actually write".

She said "my problem is getting it down to 600. I can't sneeze in less than 600 words".

As they get older the nature of their funny and embarrassing saying changes from unintentionally funny to intentionally funny and the embarrassment shifts away from us to themselves as they navigate the awkwardness of growing up: 'Biderman, biderman, does whatever a bider can; kiss a boy? sure why not? Also thinks girls are hot! Lookout, here comes the biderman!'

The inch is now footfootfoot+5, the mm is becoming the MM and they are in turns appalling and gratifying.

When they say something funny I'll try to remember long enough to post it.

Hey! That's me up there!

5/05/2022 7:52 pm  #2

Re: Funny and Embarrassing Things They Say - resurrected!

They are less funny when they get older.  They have conformed and have fewer refreshing perspectives.  But I hope to see some good stuff here.

5/05/2022 8:21 pm  #3

Here's a bringback from the OG Cellar:

Saw an old friend of mine at the movie store (remember renting dvds?), and as I walked up on him he and his wife were apparently discussing his father, who was in an assisted living facility due to really bad PTSD from his time in Vietnam, and was apparently having some issues at the time.  I stood there for a second or two while one of them finished their sentence.  That was when their daughter, every bit of three, looks up at me and said, and I quote:

They talkin' 'bout my grandpa, he done lost his damn mind.

Careful what ya say, people, they repeat everything.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/28/2022 7:56 pm  #4

What was it that one of Feet's kids said about milfoil?  I don't remember what prompted whatever the sprog said...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/29/2022 8:55 pm  #5

A couple of weeks ago the inch and I were talking about his friends and their parents. He said to me, "You're pretty chill...

we should hang out."

Hey! That's me up there!

9/24/2022 4:50 pm  #6

TheNeverWas wrote:

What was it that one of Feet's kids said about milfoil?  I don't remember what prompted whatever the sprog said...

"We're trying to figure out what it might be, milfoil meaning many leaves, but we didn't see any plant life to speak of in the clear lake water.

ME: What the hell is Eurasian Milfoil?
Inch: It's probably not a type of oil"
https://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=1013091&postcount=1098

Hey! That's me up there!

9/27/2022 10:15 pm  #7

glatt wrote:

They are less funny when they get older.  They have conformed and have fewer refreshing perspectives.  But I hope to see some good stuff here.

I disagree, it's just it's intentional. case in point ^pologirl. . Funniest unintentional verbalizations I remember from her were all mispronunciations of words she'd only read or overheard (or our interpretations of what she was saying)

still in use to this day: cow skirt.

"Daddy put your cow skirt on, it's time for breakfast."

= housecoat = robe/dressing gown

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/30/2022 6:09 am  #8

I love how every family has its own lexicon. Somebody from the old cellar posted their mis-hearing of "Pee like a race horse" as "pee like a racist" and I adopted that. My GF's son called "Cargo pants" "Luggage pants" bc he couldn't remember the word cargo but remembered the concept. When the inch was little he wanted me to play Kronos Quartet's "Pieces of Africa" and asked for "Parts of Africa".
A collection of Family-isms would be a great read.

Hey! That's me up there!

6/18/2023 9:26 pm  #9

footfootfoot wrote:

Somebody from the old cellar posted their mis-hearing of "Pee like a race horse" as "pee like a racist" and I adopted that.

That was Lumberjim. I still remember that thread.

My youngest as a toddler would often say “Easter bunny?” When it was nowhere near Easter. We finally figured it out. She fancied herself a comedienne (at 3 yrs old). She had a speech impediment and that that was as close as she could get to “Is that funny?”

6/30/2023 10:09 pm  #10

Pete Zicato wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

Somebody from the old cellar posted their mis-hearing of "Pee like a race horse" as "pee like a racist" and I adopted that.

That was Lumberjim. I still remember that thread.

My youngest as a toddler would often say “Easter bunny?” When it was nowhere near Easter. We finally figured it out. She fancied herself a comedienne (at 3 yrs old). She had a speech impediment and that that was as close as she could get to “Is that funny?”

So funny!
I just watched

this morning. perfectly apropos

Hey! That's me up there!

7/01/2023 1:23 pm  #11

'Ass-out nekkid', removes any ambiguity, with those two, (butt- buck-naked) anyway.

7/04/2023 12:25 pm  #12

Loved it foot.

Board footera