cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2022 10:07 pm  #1

We need to talk about guns

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/25/2022 5:58 am  #2

Re: We need to talk about guns

He's fucking right.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/25/2022 6:36 am  #3

One thing that others may have to deal with that I've had to is the distribution of a life-times worth of guns after the owner passes. The basement dwellar across the street from my FiL was pressuring my MiL for a gun after the old man died. I had to clear the place out and felt responsible for where the guns ended up. Apparently the Buffalo shooter scooped his weapon up from a place which sells estate items. Of course he threatened to shoot up his high school prior to the purchase but was fine to buy a weapon. That kid, who should spend the rest of his life in paper clothes, lived maybe 5 miles from my basement dwellar. My dwellar is finally working and spending a little less time gaming and reading right wing screeds. Hopefully his shit is consolidating but we have a whole country full of heavily armed people deep-diving nonsense politics on-line doing their own "research" and mostly getting it wrong.

This has been gun talk. We're pretty fucked.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/25/2022 6:45 am  #4

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3500416-manchin-calls-for-common-sense-gun-limits-resists-filibuster-reform/

Manchin and Sen. Pat Toomey(R-Pa.) had championed legislation in 2013 to expand background checks prior to gun sales, a proposal that came in direct response to the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., several months earlier. The bill failed to win the 60 votes needed to overcome the GOP filibuster. Following the mass shooting in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 14, Manchin said he still supports his proposal with Toomey, but without 60 votes in the Senate, he questioned the practicality of bringing it to the floor for a vote. It would be better, he argued, to consider reform proposals that had the support to become law. He suggested a focus on mental health.

5/25/2022 10:30 am  #5

In the old Cellar was a long, disputed, but accurate discussion about guns.  When do violent deaths increase?  When number of guns increase.  History has repeatedly demonstrated that more gun do not create more safety.  More guns cause a exponential increase in violent deaths.

How did they stop violent gun deaths in Tombstone?  Everyone surrendered their guns in town.

Why does anyone need assault weapons?  To kill other people.  Only purpose for that weapon.  Why large clips?  To kill even more people.

Right wing extremists say we must fortify schools.  Forgetting, for the moment, that they want to cut taxes.  That both are contradictory is easily ignored.  We must now replace school buses with armour vehicles.  All school room windows with bullet proof glass.  Extra thick to withstand NATO rounds.  And install walls  that can withstand howitzers.  Since the 2nd Amendment now says even 155 mm howitzers are legal and acceptable.

Or address the problem.  Big guns change a mindset.  Suddenly one who carries is entitled. Apparently we need more people who are entitled.  Who now have the Me-Me-Me attitude of their Constitutional Rights.

In all these mass shooting, an underlying common factor is Me-Me-Me.  Inspired / encouraged by bigger guns.  And the thrill of spraying more bullets.  That makes one a Man.  Also called an extremist.

Extremist even block background checks.  And want to keep untraceable guns legal.  Since, as one exremist here openly said, he wants to "Fuck things up."

Talk does nothing.  To an extremist, it is called a fillibuster.

Last edited by tw (5/25/2022 10:38 am)

5/25/2022 8:41 pm  #6

I really appreciated that someone, very much in the public eye but not a politician, broke rank and used their moment in the spotlight to SAY SOMETHING,  Not just a nod in the general direction, thoughts and prayers, and then business as usual....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/25/2022 8:43 pm  #7

I know it's not a solution, and it's many school shootings etc too late, but it happened.

5/26/2022 9:37 am  #8

BBC just interviewed Congressman Sessions from TX.  Blames a student who suspected this 18 year old gun-kid was going to go crazy.  And did not say something.  BBC then asked him if he blamed the 18 year old kid.  He said that kid had constitutional rights to obtain and use that gun.

Sessions once advocated changing gun laws.  The BBC interview demonstrates how entrenched he now is against common sense gun restrictions.  BBC noted that a handgun and an assault weapon are two completely different items.  The Congressman disagreed.

What the Congressman did not say but his logic clearly states:: anyone who wants a 155 mm howitzer has the right to buy one.  Since the Constitution says so - so says an extermist.

Extremism in American has become that entrenched.  Most of the world's weapons are now owned by only 4% of the world's population - Americans.  Because we need schools designed like bunkers with three foot concrete walls, school buses wrapped in armour plate, and armed security guards in every publics space.  Congressman Sessions said that.  We need more armed people paid to do nothing but stand around holding more assault weapons.

How strange.  Nations that do not promote massive gun violence do not have so many murders.  Meanwhile the Congressman also falsely claimed crime is rising 40%.  Due to not enough guns?  It is not rising like that.  Only murders by assault weapons massacres are rising.  Srangely enought, most all other crimes have actually decreased over the decades.  But then he is an extremist.  Knonwing that lying will make one popular (ie Trump).

Congressman blames this on a kid who did not report his suspicions.  He refused to blame the shooter saying the gun-kid was exercising his Constitutional rights.

We know that bigger guns create larger changes to a mindset.  Making it harder for the adult brain to remain in control.  Big guns result in adults acting more like children.

Rather curious.  This 18 year old gun-kid apparently did not know how to drive.  He only drove a few blocks before crashing a truck.  And then police stood around for 40 minutes before charging in to confront the gun-kid.  As onlookers screamed at cops to move in immediately.

Sounds like what happened to George Floyd and Columbine?

5/27/2022 4:24 am  #9

But we white Christian men need full auto weapons to keep our women and babies from being replaced.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/27/2022 8:00 am  #10

Hey Bruce, I'd love to see the worldwide infographics for gun ownership per head of population and mass shootings ...

Living life on the edge.

7/06/2022 5:13 pm  #11

7/07/2022 11:47 am  #12

Well regulated.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

7/08/2022 10:53 am  #13

Everyone has a right to 155 mm howitzers, flame throwers, and tactical nuclear weapons. The Constitution says so.

7/18/2022 12:38 pm  #14

the Uvalde shooter was known by the nickname "school shooter"

7/18/2022 6:00 pm  #15

yeah, world's gone crazy

7/19/2022 5:52 am  #16

word

7/19/2022 9:52 am  #17

Flint wrote:

yeah, world's gone crazy

Big guns do that.  Change a mindset.  One is now inspired by his emotions; no longer is thinking like an adult.

The more childlike that adult, the more likely he is entitled to shoot anyone he wants on impulse.  Justification by emotions replace logic. Another classic example of how "power corrupts".

7/19/2022 10:13 am  #18

Joshua Murray held the door for two women at a Family Dollar store in Connecticut on Saturday afternoon and got upset, customers say, when they didn't thank him. Really upset. Murray, 25, is accused of brandishing a gun in his anger and pointing it at multiple customers, the New Haven Register and NBC Connecticut report.

Some adults remain so child like that it only takes a tiny gun to inspire them.

Last edited by tw (7/19/2022 10:15 am)

7/19/2022 3:16 pm  #19

Heh, you'd know about 'tiny guns'...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/19/2022 3:38 pm  #20

As usual, an extremist (a lover of dictators) only understands insults.  Like Trump, his attention span and knowledge is less than 40 characters.  Deja vue.

7/19/2022 11:00 pm  #21

tw wrote:

As usual, an extremist (a lover of dictators) only understands insults.  Like Trump, his attention span and knowledge is less than 40 characters.  Deja vue.

At least I can spell deja vu.  Also, you're the only dicktater I know of.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/11/2022 1:40 pm  #22

But but Logic...

I'm in a bit of a quandary now I never saw coming years ago.
I'm at the point where I have to do some serious downsizing. Set of encyclopedias is hard, as is some other things Goodwill won't take. But I didn't suspect disposing of guns would be a problem. There are plenty of people who would buy anything gun related but I'm thinking about where they should go. Worth far far too much money to just destroy.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/11/2022 4:37 pm  #23

I'm glad you're planning ahead. Finding safe hands is important.

9/12/2022 12:15 pm  #24

I don't recognize the pistol-gripped thing with the bellows.  Or ihe things along the top of it.

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (9/12/2022 12:17 pm)

9/12/2022 8:24 pm  #25

Diaphone Jim wrote:

...pistol-gripped thing with the bellows...

Board footera