cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2022 8:40 pm  #1

No such thing as a free lunch

The cost for today's "free lunch" was not being able to take the piss out of the ridiculous items on the beverage menu, due to the host ordering one of those items and the next table containing a facebook friend who it would be wise for me not to offend..... So I'mm'a do it here

As well as alternative "milks" , they clearly also embrace alternative spelllings, although lavendar was corrected on the  comedically oversized laminated paper IRL menu (so big, I had to hold mine to one side as the table was already filled by the menus of my two companions)

May I particularly draw tour attention to the item in the top tight corner.  What in the holy fuck?

and "pretties"????

Why yes, the food menu did contain a lot of quinoa, sprouts, tofu and roasted root vegetable bowls -what made you suspect that?

But bless them, they did actually serve a meat burger and it was edible.  

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/01/2022 5:57 am  #2

Re: No such thing as a free lunch

What the actual fuck? Could someone who drinks hot black coffee get, you know, coffee?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/01/2022 9:16 am  #3

And what, in the name of all that is holy, is this...

Earl Grey is, at the best of times, akin to drinking Eau de Cologne.
It is an abomination in the sight of God and Man.

I hope that I have made my feelings clear on the subject.

6/01/2022 3:36 pm  #4

In the days before Prohibition, one would buy a beer.  And the sandwich was free.  Don't know how accurate that was.   But cost of  making beer would be that much less than what it sold for.

Coffee and cokes were also high profit items in fast food joints.  A $1 coke cost maybe pennies.  Profit was (don't know it it still is) in the drink.

6/01/2022 6:13 pm  #5

griff wrote:

What the actual fuck? Could someone who drinks hot black coffee get, you know, coffee?

Amen and hallelujah!

Hey! That's me up there!

6/01/2022 6:34 pm  #6

griff wrote:

I struggle with that every weekend at the post-parkrun Biggby's visit.  For the love of FSM no-one EVER show Biggby's this menu.  Also, Caruthers, the hardest part of parkrun is not running the 5K, but afterwards, watching people I would otherwise call friends order and drink an "Earl Grey Latte with Oatmilk" .......AAAANDDDDDD they leave the fucking teabag in.  Even bigger shame...... one of the worst offenders' father is a Brit.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/01/2022 6:38 pm  #7

(and yes, Starbucks scares the crap out of me, but at least they actually do know what a dark roast is and usually have one ready.... the "NOTHING" in it is a struggle, but winnable)

I am also continually amazed by the people willing to pay $5+ for the advertised concoction of the week/month/season.   I'm pretty sure the parkrun gang take bets on whose drink will revolt me the most each week ;)

6/01/2022 6:44 pm  #8

Today's free lunch......

....also not "free".  But mandatory. And mostly full of ingredients I'm allergic to (red bell peppers seemed to be a theme)

"Team Building exercises that don't suck" ... um .... did...... but hell, I was getting paid to be there.

and diet coke was provided and I snagged one of the table decoration begonias as we left.  On balance would still rather have not but ya know -working on the "employable" thing ;)

6/01/2022 6:47 pm  #9

oh and..... one of the aside conversations at today's free lunch was how awesome the venue of yesterday's free lunch is.........  I managed to keep quiet.  ish. 

6/02/2022 6:26 am  #10

monster wrote:

And mostly full of ingredients I'm allergic to (red bell peppers seemed to be a theme)

why would they do that, just why?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/02/2022 5:49 pm  #11

griff wrote:

monster wrote:

And mostly full of ingredients I'm allergic to (red bell peppers seemed to be a theme)

why would they do that, just why?

yeah, the tabbouleh salad had them subbed for the tomatoes....

6/03/2022 7:19 am  #12

god these people

Board footera