cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2022 1:58 pm  #1

Stop the world I want to get off.

WAPO says...
"The Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a $5.2 million judgment on Tuesday involving a Jackson County, Mo., woman who said she unknowingly caught HPV, the human papillomavirus, during unprotected sex in the luxury sedan of a former male romantic partner in 2017. After the woman notified Geico that she was seeking monetary damages, an arbitrator with Jackson County Circuit Court ruled last year that the man was liable for not disclosing his infection, saying the sex in the car “directly caused, or directly contributed to cause” of the woman’s contraction of HPV."

Geico is on the hook for $5.2 million because this chick screwed a guy in a 2014 Hyundai Genesis and got HPV?
Good grief, this is so stupid I can't even.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/09/2022 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Stop the world I want to get off.

How the hell does that work?

6/09/2022 8:25 pm  #3

DanaC wrote:

welcome to 'Merca

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/09/2022 11:12 pm  #4

DanaC wrote:

The insurance companies as well as many companies have a clause in the contract or user agreement in order to save them legal expense you can't take them to court but have to go before an arbiter. The arbiter almost invariably rules for the company, as that's another good-ol'-boys organization.
Looks like Geico thought this claim was so ridiculous they didn't put much effort into it and the arbiter stuck it to them for $5.2 million. It's just mind boggling and never happened before.
Now every mattress maker will be getting child support lawsuits.

6/10/2022 6:44 am  #5

Looks like there is still a federal case pending, where Geico claims that of course they aren't responsible.  The fat lady didn't sing yet on this one.  Like the McDonald's hot coffee case, where McD's never paid the lady the huge settlement, this is just getting breathlessly reported before all the facts are in and before it's over.

6/10/2022 5:37 pm  #6

MacDonalds settled out of court.  On this case and something over 200 other cases of serious burns due to coffee that was too hot.

6/10/2022 11:34 pm  #7

DanaC wrote:

Dana I was reading about another case today where some women accused a jewelry company of underpaying, harassing, and molesting them. This has dragged on for 15 years, so long one on the women had died.
This is just a snippet from the article...

The settlement, which is subject to approval by an arbitrator, would pay about $125 million to members of the class. The remainder ($50m) will go to attorneys’ fees and costs.

The case also threw a spotlight on then-widespread corporate rules that forced victims of sexual harassment or assault to file claims against their employers only in private arbitration, where the proceedings were largely confidential.

President Biden in March signed into law a bill ending forced arbitration in such cases, allowing survivors to file lawsuits in public courts.

That new law only applies to "such cases", arbitration is firmly ensconced, with them using the argument it frees up the courts.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (6/10/2022 11:34 pm)

6/11/2022 10:41 am  #8

That is wild. 

6/12/2022 4:22 am  #9

I would have asked how ya get freaky in the back of a Hyundai, but I did it in the back of a 78 Fiesta, and a Genesis is a damn sight bigger than a Fiesta, so...

Good on the guy getting a woman in the back of Hyundai, though.

Wonder if he got a Hyummer while they were back there?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/02/2022 11:48 pm  #10

Try the back seat of a '65 Mustang.

Board footera