cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2020 1:07 pm  #1

Starlink

Elon Musk has to be right at the top of interesting people in the world today.
He is kind of a prickly fellow, some say weird, but his accomplishments are hard to match.
For a first hand experience of one of them that deserves a Wow! (or more likely Holy Shit!) you need to go to one of the many places that will tell you when to view one of the many Starlink satellite trains visible every evening and morning.  (Heavens Above is great website, but this new place doesn't like links)   
Just put in your location, get the chart and pick a time (6 PM or so is best.)
Then, if it isn't cloudy, go out where you can see the direction indicated (e,g. SSW - NNE) and enjoy an amazing show.
There is a lot more to say, but l'll leave it here and wait for responses and questions. 

12/05/2020 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Starlink

Someday someday...
We recently got a phone survey from our electric coop pointing towards an interest in supplying broadband. That would be ideal.

He is interesting. I want him to focus on tech and ignore all else but with genius, you gets what you gets.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/13/2020 6:42 pm  #3

Me and Tree's retirement fantasy is a life on the road with a motor home or suitable trailer.  Starlink, fully realized, would allow us to retain much of our highly connected lifestyle.  I follow it closely.

“Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

4/27/2022 6:25 am  #4

*PEACE*

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/27/2022 6:35 pm  #5

Starlink makes it possible to go where stars can be seen.

Then we discover stars were not stolen.  Only moved into a different sky.  Where only Starlink works.

6/10/2022 12:11 am  #6

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/10/2022 6:47 am  #7

I was going to mention this before but saw elspode had made the last post. I got my Starlink deposit back when it became obvious Elon had lost interest.

6/14/2022 10:51 am  #8

This is today's scary Astronomy Picture of the Day:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220614.html

6/26/2022 10:55 pm  #9

Read recently they've put a hold on Starlink boxes for the home but you can get one for a motorhome with no wait.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera