cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2022 10:02 pm  #1

Canoeing

Picture drifting along the stream, hear the chirping birds, feel the dappled sunshine on you skin, maybe dragging your fingers in the water... sigh.
This ain't that...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/19/2022 5:56 am  #2

Re: Canoeing

That'd be a bit of a rush.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/19/2022 11:26 am  #3

I think a headlight on the canoe would be a good idea.

7/19/2022 12:14 pm  #4

I would need a service that assured that the roof hadn't caved in.  Updated every ten seconds.

7/24/2022 8:06 pm  #5

If the roof caved in wouldn't the water back up?

7/25/2022 12:02 pm  #6

You are probably right.
You go first and let me know when (if, actually) you get out the other end.

7/26/2022 7:06 am  #7

Fast water.  Narrow channel.  Lots of rocks to bash your head against.  Sounds like fun.

I'd want somebody else to go first and report back that the water level wasn't too high.

7/26/2022 10:25 am  #8

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

If the roof caved in wouldn't the water back up?

One would be trapped upstream of all  debris as water flowed through where humans cannot.  Then it is called a drowning.

And probably a difficult body recovery.

See those rocks sticking out from the right?  A bowman would be severely injured if they lost controler of the boat.  By doing what some foolishly do in a canoe.  Backwater.

Last edited by tw (7/26/2022 10:28 am)

7/26/2022 7:51 pm  #9

tw wrote:

...if they lost controler of the boat...

Just thought I'd repeat that...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/28/2022 12:05 pm  #10

Undertoad wrote:

it could capsize!

Maybe several times.

7/28/2022 5:49 pm  #11

Canoes do not have capstans. ;)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/28/2022 7:42 pm  #12

Well, what on Earth do they do with their caps?

Hooks?

Savages.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/28/2022 11:51 pm  #13

Looks like about 40 seconds to run through, if you can't pay attention for that long you have no business in a canoe.
If the canoe capsizes it doesn't stop, it keeps moving on down the line at the same speed. You will too.

I remember capsizing our boat at Lava Falls on the Colorado river. Rather than "swimming" to the surface I took my time so the boat would get out of the way. When I finally floated up I hit my head on the boat, twice, until I figured out I had to make an effort to get clear of the boat. Of course 45° water doesn't help rational thinking. 

7/29/2022 12:26 pm  #14

TheNeverWas wrote:

Well, what on Earth do they do with their caps?

Hooks?

Savages.

Uncas would like a word.

Board footera