cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2022 11:36 pm  #1

Foot Feathers

I ran across these pictures from a 1906 German(I think) bird book showing all these birds, I'm guessing are pigeons, with feathered feet. I found out the feathered feet are caused by one of, or a combination of, two genes.
OK passed down blah blah blah, but why did feathered feet develop in the first place?
Look more like a handicap than help. 
Handy for Ptarmigan in the Arctic, Owls and Golden Eagles have use too.
But I can’t figure out why these birds would have needed it.
Curiouser and curiouser.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/03/2022 6:47 am  #2

Re: Foot Feathers

Weird.  I learned something new today.  Thanks Bruce,

8/03/2022 10:29 am  #3

Thanks Bruce.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/03/2022 8:47 pm  #4

I do not feather. That is a viscous rumor.

Hey! That's me up there!

8/04/2022 2:14 am  #5

Are you sure you're not a plucker?

8/04/2022 11:33 am  #6

They are an example of the grotesqueries that result from human intervention in breeding.
In the video, you can imagine the downside of running around all day in chicken and pigeon shit with those Chaplin appendages.
Also must destroy aerodynamics.
Breeding for some features (meat production, resistance to disease, e.g.) might be justified, but only a species that is destroying its home planet is capable of doing this for the "fun" of it..
Dog shows are an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DIeyzeehgcP0&ved=2ahUKEwj3nZqTya35AhVqDkQIHXBJDSUQtwJ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw3f9W4JiYN6lsIyQ9Ak5ETm">https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DIeyzeehgcP0&ved=2ahUKEwj3nZqTya35AhVqDkQIHXBJDSUQtwJ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw3f9W4JiYN6lsIyQ9Ak5ETm

8/04/2022 9:40 pm  #7

not just boids....

Heavy Horses too.

this is better ;;>

Last edited by BigV (8/04/2022 9:45 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

8/05/2022 7:07 pm  #8

Diaphone Jim wrote:

They are an example of the grotesqueries that result from human intervention in breeding.

So you feel all those pigeon breed examples from 1906 were the result of human intervention?

8/06/2022 12:23 pm  #9

Feel? Yes. 
I don't know, of course, but we have been at it for 5000 years.

8/06/2022 8:52 pm  #10

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Feel? Yes. 
I don't know, of course, but we have been at it for 5000 years.

Been around longer than that, you give the hairless monkey too much credit.
History Of Feather-footed Pigeons
The University of Utah has traced back the pigeons to dinosaurs. As per the study, the scales and feathers that you see on birds were developed by dinosaurs before they turned into birds. So what you see today is the result of evolution.
As you know, two genes are responsible for these feathered feet. Pigeons with feathers on their feet have the hindlimb-development gene Pitx1 less active than it should, while the forelimb-development gene Tbx5 is more active than it should. 

https://www.backtobirds.com/pigeon-with-feathered-feet/#History_Of_Feather-footed_Pigeons 

8/08/2022 11:40 am  #11

Is there a wild population of feather-footed pigeons?
I.e., is there some natural advantage to having what seems to me to be a burdensome and disadvantageous trait?
Birds do have some outrageous features that usually play a part in mating.
In my basic ignorance of pigeons, it seems plain that over 5000+ generations, that trait has resulted from the fantasies of the people who breed them, not the benefit of the birds.   

8/08/2022 3:39 pm  #12

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I'm sure there are some that like to get a little high and tight on the weekends...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/08/2022 6:17 pm  #13

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I.e., is there some natural advantage to having what seems to me to be a burdensome and disadvantageous trait?
Birds do have some outrageous features that usually play a part in mating.
In my basic ignorance of pigeons, it seems plain that over 5000+ generations, that trait has resulted from the fantasies of the people who breed them, not the benefit of the birds.   

Yes, wild populations, at least there were  before 100 years ago, may be all decimated by now.
In the original post I wondered why that trait would continue when it appears to be a handicap.

8/09/2022 10:32 am  #14

Nothing compared to a peacock;  they could just think it looks sexy.

8/10/2022 11:07 pm  #15

There are some species that appear to have both foot feathers and no foot feathers. I wonder which get laid more?

Board footera