cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2022 3:14 pm  #1

Wood Would

When a builder/contractor get hold of a piece of land the way to increase their investment is to build on it.
Usually the taller they build the larger the return on investment. Over the years engineers and architects had bounced from one material to another. Often it made no difference but they can charge more for chic.
One thing has been pretty constant is steel I-beam framework on tall buildings.
Milwaukee has a new challenger to the I-beams... engineered wood.
It could be the start of a new school of designing tall buildings, or might just be a shot at maximizing profit on this piece of ground. Probably building a world record building with a new type of framing, they might have received a lot of help from the engineered wood people.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/17/2022 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Wood Would

Wood?

I got yer wood, right here yo.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/18/2022 6:05 am  #3

Only 3 minutes in and I'm seeing so many little skills, damn

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/18/2022 7:24 am  #4

I'm glad Nick Schade abides.

8/21/2022 11:28 pm  #5

He had the form up front, could have made it from fiberglass in a weekend and spent the rest of the time kayaking with a boat that didn't need a armed guard every time he camped. That sumbitch belongs in a museum.

8/23/2022 8:55 pm  #6

mmmm

not so.

what would keep the layers of fiberglass apart?  gotta be the wood.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/23/2022 9:05 pm  #7

I built a kayak from Nick Schade's book How to Build a Strip Built Kayak (or words to that effect).  I built it in my basement and sailed it (paddled it, sorry) as a virgin, first time kayaker on an epic trip through the San Juan Islands with Troop 100, many years ago.  His instructions were so on point that a literal first timer made a boat, a thing of beauty, a seaworthy object of art... full credit to him.

I still have the boat, though it's been subject to sunlight for a long time now.  It's still seaworthy, though I might have to be lowered into the water with a crane... I will never love a boat I made more than I love this one.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/24/2022 8:42 am  #8

The layers of glass don't have to be apart. but if you want to make the walls thicker use styrofoam or bubble wrap. LoL

8/24/2022 10:40 am  #9

These gorgeous boats make me think about the difference between building a boat and using a boat.  Which hobby is it?

It's sort of similar to how some woodworkers think that woodworking is a hobby all about accumulating tools and there just isn't time to make anything.

You can say the same about any hobby.

8/24/2022 4:20 pm  #10

I don't know that I'll ever start building boats. It seems like a wonderful time burner, but life is already pretty short.

It looks like I'm inheriting a strip built canoe, a boat which will be gorgeous with some work but I suspect using it won't be as much remorseless fun as beating up my injection molded kayak.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/26/2022 12:14 am  #11

Hot Rods and Custom cars are like that. The guys that have the most outstanding cars never drive them. Garage queens because heaven forbid the $30,000 paint job gets chipped, and it would take a solid weekend to clean the dirt off all the chrome you can't see without crawling under.
Hey, are those 2 or 3 speed wipers? I don't know it's never seen rain.
Whatever blows your skirt up but I'll never understand it.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (8/26/2022 12:14 am)

Board footera