cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2022 9:50 pm  #1

Pro Wrestling & Trump

This guy makes a good point...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/30/2022 11:47 am  #2

Re: Pro Wrestling & Trump

I have always wondered how professional "wrestling" could be believable to anyone.
Enjoying it is even harder to believe.
Promoting it says all there is to say about Donald Trump.

8/30/2022 8:04 pm  #3

Pro wrestling is entertainment. When you go to a movie you know it's not real and may suspect the good guy will win, but the entertainment is how. Same with Pro Wrestling.

9/01/2022 7:49 am  #4

I have long since forgotten which pro-wrestler this was.  He was once a Champion belt holder in the WWE just before the big match in Toronto.  He told McMahon that he would be leaving for another league (WCW?) since he needed the money.  (McMahon, according to him, was very understanding.)  Problem was he was a Canadian.  WWE could not have a Canadian lose in Toronto.  That just would not play well.

So the writers had a major dilema.  How could they write a good script and still have Canadian lose in Canada?  They could not have him go to another league still holding the Champion belt.

All bouts are planned weeks earlier by writers.  Then the combatants practice that script together for days previously.   Another insider said those practice rings are in Florida.  It is all entertainment. More interesting, the WWE gets news articles written as if none was preordained.

Last edited by tw (9/01/2022 7:49 am)

9/10/2022 12:09 pm  #5

Bruce

Is that an endorsement or just an explanation? 
It hasn't entertained me since I was 10.
And I know people who get more than angry when that is suggested. 

9/11/2022 1:47 pm  #6

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Bruce

Is that an endorsement or just an explanation? 
It hasn't entertained me since I was 10.
And I know people who get more than angry when that is suggested. 

No, and explanation, I'm not into watching wrestling with the same sex.

8/21/2023 5:43 am  #7

tw wrote:

I have long since forgotten which pro-wrestler this was.  He was once a Champion belt holder in the WWE just before the big match in Toronto.  He told McMahon that he would be leaving for another league (WCW?) since he needed the money.  (McMahon, according to him, was very understanding.)  Problem was he was a Canadian.  WWE could not have a Canadian lose in Toronto.  That just would not play well.

So the writers had a major dilema.  How could they write a good script and still have Canadian lose in Canada?  They could not have him go to another league still holding the Champion belt.

All bouts are planned weeks earlier by writers.  Then the combatants practice that script together for days previously.   Another insider said those practice rings are in Florida.  It is all entertainment. More interesting, the WWE gets news articles written as if none was preordained.

Late, but I wanna add a few things
1. That was Bret Hart if you are wondering about the wrestler in question
2. The event took place in Montreal and not Toronto. It's known as the "Montreal Screwjob".
3. both Bret and the WWE/F had no problem with Canadians losing the belt in Canada (It has actually happened at Unforgiven 2006 in Toronto with Edge (Canadian) losing his belt to John Cena). It was something that his opponent Shawn Michaels said to him backstage that led to him not wanting to lose the belt in Canada. He told McMahon that he would lose it on the Raw after Survivor Series (The Montreal event in question) and McMahon agreed. But then decided to screw him out anyways during the event.

Last edited by BreakTheChain (8/21/2023 5:46 am)

"I have no idea what to put in here"
-BreakTheChain

8/21/2023 8:07 am  #8

Which says so much about fake wrestling.  Where script writers define what happens. (Are they also on strike?)  So many stories contradict.  Which attracts the many who love confusion, misdirection, hearsay, and the blaming of others.  Hate inspires such people.

8/22/2023 5:06 am  #9

tw wrote:

Which says so much about fake wrestling.  Where script writers define what happens. (Are they also on strike?)  So many stories contradict.  Which attracts the many who love confusion, misdirection, hearsay, and the blaming of others.  Hate inspires such people.

As far as I know, No one really knew about the plans for the Screwjob other than McMahon and Michaels. It is considered an unscripted event.
And no. Creative (Writers in Wrestling terms) weren't on strike.

-BreakTheChain

8/22/2023 8:06 am  #10

Another famous unscripted event was when wrestlers were fighting atop a cage.  And the cage collapsed.  Then it was like Swan Lake.  All the dancers had to go out; fill the stage with action.  While the injured actors were removed.

8/23/2023 6:27 am  #11

tw wrote:

Another famous unscripted event was when wrestlers were fighting atop a cage.  And the cage collapsed.  Then it was like Swan Lake.  All the dancers had to go out; fill the stage with action.  While the injured actors were removed.

I don't know what event that was.

-BreakTheChain

8/25/2023 10:09 am  #12

I think Trump was trying to look fierce in his mugshot, but I got a big "Andy Rooney complaining about portion sizes" vibe.

8/25/2023 9:59 pm  #13

He is selling copies of his mug shot to raise money for his campaign.  Why?  If he is so rich, then why does he need the money?

His people gave his height and weight as 6' 3".  And 215 pounds.  He must be at least 250.  But then lying is SNAFU.

Board footera