cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2022 12:01 pm  #26

Re: We need to talk about guns

hmmm?
Well I'm not sure what that means.
Darn emoticons.
Maybe "cooling fins" might be better than "bellows."
Right under the blue arrow.

9/13/2022 2:35 pm  #27

Oh, ok.  That's a pump-action shotgun with extra rounds on top of the receiver.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/13/2022 2:36 pm  #28

With a safety loop under the slide...So it don't leap out of hand.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/13/2022 4:08 pm  #29

A 12 ga Mossberg I guess. Muzzle sure looks big. 
Sure look like D Cell batteries up top.
I carried a 12 ga auto in Vietnam, maybe a Mossberg, but I have never been able to remember.

9/14/2022 7:36 pm  #30

age/brainfog/gin/FU...

Pick.  I don't care.  The actual title of xoB's thread from the before times about doodads or somesuch... 

I'm reminded that I miss it.  For Reasons.    but I still miss it.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/17/2022 11:38 pm  #31

ammo...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/17/2022 11:44 pm  #32

Then there's the big boys...

9/18/2022 5:13 pm  #33

Diaphone Jim wrote:

A 12 ga Mossberg I guess. Muzzle sure looks big. 
Sure look like D Cell batteries up top.
I carried a 12 ga auto in Vietnam, maybe a Mossberg, but I have never been able to remember.

I'm leaning toward the Winchester Model 12.  AkA, the Combat 12. And I'm almost positive all those were pump action.

LOTS of those carried in Vietnam. 

9/19/2022 11:23 am  #34

I think you are right.  I took a really close look at a pic I have of some kid in wrinkly clothes and a metal hat holding a pump shotgun.
I still can't remember why or when I had a semi-auto, a Browning, I think.

9/29/2022 5:51 am  #35

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/30/2022 10:31 am  #36

Once again, proof playing football is dangerous.

12/10/2022 1:44 am  #37

This one gets around. It's weird ammo but obviously available.

2/14/2023 6:01 pm  #38

Well regulated militia at work in Monster's neighborhood.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/14/2023 8:48 pm  #39

He was probably angry because the 2nd amendment says he has the right to own and fire 155 mm howitzers.  But he cannot buy one on Amazon.

His hometown is Ewing Twp NJ.  Just outside Philadelphia on the NJ/PA border.  To honor his needs and frustrations, Ewing closed all schools today.

2/15/2023 1:58 am  #40

griff wrote:

Well regulated militia at work in Monster's neighborhood.

Used to be the only time MSU and UM were on the same side, it was because one of them was playing Ohio State.
I now work at UM and can tell you very few people got work done today

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/16/2023 8:47 am  #41

As discussed decades ago in the Cellar: as number of guns increase, then civilian safety decreases.  A reality now observed - despite so many denial decades ago.  Last year, one mass killing a week.  We are already seeing higher numbers this year.

An El Paso shooting by (apparently) two gunmen was next door to the Walmart mass shooting in 2019.  Where a gunman, encouraged by extremist rhetoric, wanted to kill Hispanics.

(Why?  Mexico was going to pay for the wall.)

Guns change the mindset of a person.  Makes an adult, who still thinks emotionally like a child, to be entitled.  A "might makes right" mentality.  Gun don't kill people.  Adults who are still children, with guns, exercise their 'right' to kill people.  2nd Amendment.  It is their right.

Adults who are children are not logical.  They are emotional.  Assault rifles and large ammunition clips justify those emotions.  And their actions.

Everyone has the right to 155 mm howitzers.  2nd Amendment says so.  Gun stores have not yet made those available.

4/04/2023 6:32 am  #42

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/us/illegal-guns-parked-cars.html

In some cities, organized groups of young people have swept through neighborhoods and areas around sports arenas, looking for weapons left under car seats or in unlocked center consoles or glove compartments. Their work is occasionally made easier by motorists who advertise their right to bear arms with car window stickers promoting favored gun brands, or that declare “molon labe” — a defiant message from ancient Sparta, which roughly translates as “come and take them.”

As someone who should never have a gun in a car, I'm just asking you people to be better.

10/26/2023 6:30 am  #43

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-shootings-active-shooter-10-25-23/index.html

The shooter lives less than 10 minutes from my people in Maine. fuck

10/26/2023 7:13 am  #44

Yeah.  My hometown. My parents still live there.

At least they aren't bowlers and stay home in the evenings.  They are safe, but not thrilled about the lockdown in the town during the manhunt.  Not that they were going anywhere.

10/26/2023 10:17 am  #45

I'm sorry, griff and glatt. I hope everyone you know stays safe.

10/28/2023 7:42 am  #46

Two days of lockdown but everyone is safe. We hung out playing Rummikub on zoom last night to burn some time. Apparently Maine does not have red flag laws. Getting sheriffs to enforce such laws is the followup problem, since we have a sheriff problem in this country as well.

https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/48679/20231026/how-one-upstate-ny-sheriff-s-oath-led-him-down-a-far-right-path

10/28/2023 9:14 am  #47

Dude committed suicide in the wrong order.  He should have started with the suicide before killing all the innocent people.

But I feel bad typing that.  He clearly needed some sort of help before all of this unfolded.

10/28/2023 12:13 pm  #48

I harbor similar feelings. That his weapons weren't swept up as a matter of course shows how lost we are. Sometimes it feels like we're accelerating towards a worse thing but there's always hope that actual common sense conservatives will eventually ask the radicals to sit down and shut up. We can't continuously arm the bad/broken guys, but it seems we're talking past each other again. Knowing my friend and his family were near this whole thing my sister actually started texting me about prayer as a response. I just ignored that. It makes me pretty angry if I'm being honest.

Last edited by griff (10/28/2023 12:14 pm)

10/28/2023 3:00 pm  #49

griff wrote:

...my sister actually started texting me about prayer as a response. I just ignored that. ...

You could spin that into a teaching opportunity:

If you get caught in the open without cover, dropping to your knees and praying will make you a smaller target; but, you really should fall onto your back with legs and feet raised towards the gunman in hopes that your lower extremities will deflect incoming rounds away from your vital organs.

10/29/2023 8:04 am  #50

... giving me time to wait for a "good" guy with a gun.

Board footera